Author Topic: LOWERY/Lowry - WILLIAMSON Families in Co. Down  (Read 10131 times)

Offline Karenannie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
LOWERY/Lowry - WILLIAMSON Families in Co. Down
« on: Wednesday 12 September 07 15:16 BST (UK) »
Hi,
      I have discovered that my Great Great Grandfather SAMUEL HAYES LOWERY was born in Down, Ireland ( information from his death certificate). from age at death, I've estimated his birth to C 1826 - His father was SAMUEL LOWERY (a farmer) and his mother was MARGARET HAYES (again information from his death certificate.

Samuel left Ireland and went to America (pre 1851) He married in  New York America 1851 to Edith WILLIAMSON, daughter of JOHN WILLIAMSON and EDITH LEED/SEED - John and Edith  died in Ardglass, co. Down so I'm thinking that perhaps where they and their daughter Edith may hve been born and perhaps even the Lowery family.

I'm new to Irish Ancestry so any help or advice will be greatly appreciated.

Fingers crossed.
Karen

Offline maryderry

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: LOWERY/Lowry - WILLIAMSON Families in Co. Down
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 12 September 07 16:56 BST (UK) »
all i could find was the marriage of edith's parents.

JOHN WILLIAMSON TO EDITH SEED 21-8-1814 @ BALLYCAULTER COFI. BALLYCAULTER,DOWNPATRICK,CO.DOWN.

REGARDS MARY.
doolin?
quigley- hasson. stewart. lynch. doherty gallagher-derry
mclaughlin-  brennan .moville co. donegal
mctaggart
monaghan

Offline Karenannie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 13 September 07 00:51 BST (UK) »
Wow, Fantastic. Thank you Mary. I'm 100% sure thats them as their first child was born C 1815.

Can anyone advise on what I do now/ or who to contact  to purchase a copy of the marriage certificate/ record of William and Edith

I know William and Edith had the following children, but birthdates are unknown so any help again will be greatly appreciated:  ( I do know they were all born in Ireland)

William C 1815
John C 1819
Esther C 1821
James C 1823
Edith C 1831 ( married Sameul Lowery)
Maria Jane C 1832
Margaret C 1834
Eliza C 1836
Frances C 1838
and lastly " Doctor Williamson" C 1840  ( apparently he was well known and esteemed in Ardglass ) source Newspaper article from USA - where he died. The article refers to him as Doctor Williamson.

Regards
Karen

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 13 September 07 09:23 BST (UK) »
Civil registration of Protestant marriages did not start until 1845 so you will not get a marriage certificate.
Church of Ireland website with links to Parishes, etc.:
www.ireland.anglican.org
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Sunnyhill

• RootsChat Member
  • From Dunmurry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 26 September 07 11:39 BST (UK) »
I have a rel David Lowry Hayes b 1829,  b Ballymacreely, Killinchy, father Archibald.
Co. Armagh: Castles/Cassells, Turkington, McBride, Hanna, Boston, Abraham, Geddis, Gilkinson, Humphries, McCormick, Corner, Serplus
Co. Antrim: Cassells, Hayes, Campbell, Saulters, Abernethy, Crooks, Fryer, Stead, Cooper, Gardner, Montgomery, Hill, McCartney, McKeown, Sterrit, McIntyre, Orr
Co. Down: Hayes, Campbell, Nelson, Skelly, Pickering, Dixon, Taylor, Lowry, Gourley, Stewart
Co. Mayo: Layng, Fulton, Ruxton
Co. Kerry: Nash
Co. Dublin: Ruxton, Layng, Kelly, Wilson, Shea, Askin
Galway: Abbot

Offline Karenannie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 27 September 07 00:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Sunny Hill,
                       No David amongst mine. ( That I'm aware of at this stage anyway)
                         Thanks very much for your message.

Regards
Karen.

Offline Sunnyhill

• RootsChat Member
  • From Dunmurry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 27 September 07 01:21 BST (UK) »
Ta, didn't expect I would be that lucky, but interesting to see a Hayes and Lowry connection.

I guess Killinchy is not far from Downpatrick?

:)
Co. Armagh: Castles/Cassells, Turkington, McBride, Hanna, Boston, Abraham, Geddis, Gilkinson, Humphries, McCormick, Corner, Serplus
Co. Antrim: Cassells, Hayes, Campbell, Saulters, Abernethy, Crooks, Fryer, Stead, Cooper, Gardner, Montgomery, Hill, McCartney, McKeown, Sterrit, McIntyre, Orr
Co. Down: Hayes, Campbell, Nelson, Skelly, Pickering, Dixon, Taylor, Lowry, Gourley, Stewart
Co. Mayo: Layng, Fulton, Ruxton
Co. Kerry: Nash
Co. Dublin: Ruxton, Layng, Kelly, Wilson, Shea, Askin
Galway: Abbot

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 27 September 07 15:52 BST (UK) »
This BALLYCAULTER COFI ,  could it possibly be Ballyculter Parish  and COI
see freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~rosdavies/MAPS/BallyculterBalleeTownlands.htm
ie nr Strangford  further info from her churches includes
Ballyculter Church of Ireland- Christ Church
postal address Drumroe Rd, Downpatrick has
Baptisms from 1777, marriages & burials from 1812;UHF have baptisms 1777-1900 & marriages 1845-1900; gravestone inscriptions available UHF Vol 8; email me for a gravestone look-up or or pay per view gravestone inscriptons on www.irishgenealogy.ie
Hope I'm right about suggesting this alternative, Good luck, Jim
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline Karenannie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 28 September 07 12:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Jim,
           I have been to Ros Davies Site, and have been in touch with her about a couple of newspaper articles, she has been a great help, haven't actually aske to do grave look ups for me though, but I will email her and ask.
             She has been very helpful and I highly recommend her to anyone seeking further information from her site.
           I must admit I have been a bit distratced from my Williamson/Lowry families over the last couple of weeks, you see, in a fit of anger ( while 2 of my sisters in law were discussing information I had found on their side, my Mother in law yelled out that my Husbands father was not his father! Shock, Horror!  It has turned out that she yelled two mens first names to create 1 person! ( We think this evilness of hers is because of a will where money was left to three children and she may have claimed it, and spent it! so now she is saying that he wasnt their Dad anyway!) Thats pretty much it in as short as I could possibly explain..  Which unfortunately does not reltae to this  side of the family ( which belong to me!)
          Thank You Jim for your message.
Regards
Karen