Author Topic: 1841 & 1871 census look-up, please - John Dawson born 1826 Corby, Lincolnshire  (Read 1903 times)

Offline Pendlewitch67

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 & 1871 census look-up, please - John Dawson born 1826 Corby, Lincolnshire
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 13 September 07 10:19 BST (UK) »
1891 RG12/3382  folio 4 page 1 Barrowford Lancashire

2 Grey Street
John Dawson age 64 born Corby lincolnshire
enumerated Toby in Lincoln  Army pensioner
Cathrine Dawson age 51 born Ceylon in India

did they marry abroad??

Pam

Hi

From another source who has medals belonging to John Dawson, I understand John served in the Indies where he probably met and married Catherine.

Best regards

Amanda
Salkeld - Alston, Grassington, Earby, Burnley
Brotherton - Burnley, Barnoldswick
Layfield - Burnley
Child - Bradford
Payne - Poulton Le Fylde, Burnley, Brierfield
Harris - Castle Bytham, Nelson, Barrowford
Sage - Boxted, Langham, West Riding, Lancashire
Hastie - Lanarkshire
Gillon - Lanarkshire

Offline Pendlewitch67

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 & 1871 census look-up, please - John Dawson born 1826 Corby, Lincolnshi
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 13 September 07 10:24 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately, I can only find the christening of John Dawson to Thomas and Ann on 24 Nov 1836 in Corby. Even though he was born 1826. Maybe he was christened when he was 10 who knows or the 1836 should have read 1826?????

I think this burial (from National Burial Index) probably applies to that child-

5 Dec 1836 Corby, John DAWSON (inf)

While the existence of a son called John born in 1836 doesn't exclude the possibility of another John born 1826, to my mind it makes it less likely.

Hi Geoff

Thank you for the post. This does explain why I am unable to find John b 1836. I believe I have come across other instances where children have been given the same name, usually with Elizas and Elizabeths etc. I suppose there is always the possibilty that John orn 1826 was not in fact Thomas' son so, therefore, they chose to name his biological son John. I have other family members who had numerous children out of wedlock. You'd think they'd learnt he first time.

Thank you again for your posting. For now I think I will assume that my info is correct as I just can't get that definite proof.

Best regards

Amanda
Salkeld - Alston, Grassington, Earby, Burnley
Brotherton - Burnley, Barnoldswick
Layfield - Burnley
Child - Bradford
Payne - Poulton Le Fylde, Burnley, Brierfield
Harris - Castle Bytham, Nelson, Barrowford
Sage - Boxted, Langham, West Riding, Lancashire
Hastie - Lanarkshire
Gillon - Lanarkshire