Author Topic: Susan Douglas 1829 birth  (Read 2259 times)

Offline Audie443

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Susan Douglas 1829 birth
« on: Thursday 13 September 07 06:46 BST (UK) »
Hello I am trying to track my husbands elusive Irish ancestress.

This is what I have:

Susan McLellan Douglas born December 25, 1829 County Antrim

In 1858 she is in Heuvelton Village, St. Lawrence County, New York married there November 15, 1858 to Ira Thurston and lived there until she died January 19, 1905.  On the US census she stated her father born Scotland and mother born Ireland. 

I have never found any relatives that I know of in my research to be in this area and cannot figure out how she came to be here unless she came across the river from Canada and may have relatives there.  I did not find her in the 1850 census but is in the 1860 age 29 married to Ira.  She may have been in Canada first. 1870 Census has her age 43; 1880 Census she is 50. 1900 Census has her birth listed as December 1825 age 75 she is not naturalized and number of years in US is crossed out and changed uncertain if changed to 40 or 70 may also have CAN written over original writing very illegible.  This is the only census Susan is listed in that also has immigration information.

Any help in finding the names of her parents and any siblings, and the village where she was born, (and just maybe when she came to US or Canada) is greatly appreciated.

Childrens names should there be a pattern:

Arina I.; John; Orpha Naomi; Ellen/Ella E.; William J.; Charles L.

Thanks,
Audie443

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Susan Douglas 1829 birth
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 13 September 07 09:09 BST (UK) »
Extremely difficult to trace a birth in Ireland in 1820s with just the county. Civil registration did not start until much later and many church records do not exist for that period. In order to find church you need to know religion and area where family lived.
Does Susan's death certificate not list any details of parents? I have a death certificate from N.Y. State (1913) and it gives names of father & mother, exact birthdate (place of birth is state or foreign country). It also lists place of burial.
How about an obituary from local newspaper?- sometimes they give quite a bit of information.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Audie443

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Susan Douglas 1829 birth
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 13 September 07 19:02 BST (UK) »
  Thanks for the advice.  I will try and find a death cert at the village clerks.  I did try to find an obituary in the paper but I couldn't find one in the one I searched.  perhaps I should try and find out if Heuvelton was still running their own independent paper at that time or if they had been annexed to Ogdensburg's.  If Heuvelton was already annexed into Ogdensburg's then there was no obituary.

Uncertain of what Susan's religion would be exactly, however to narrow it down, the only churches in Heuvelton are St. Raphel's Catholic, First Methodist, and First Presbyterian.