Author Topic: Which Mary Mary Ann(e) (Annie) Shepheard is mine ??  (Read 2665 times)

Offline cogvos

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Which Mary Mary Ann(e) (Annie) Shepheard is mine ??
« Reply #9 on: Friday 14 September 07 14:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Mo,

Many many thanks for all your efforts on this. I took some time out in Harrow's local history centre, since I was in the area. They had some census returns and I found the 11 Pinner Drive Shephards in 1881 and the 24 Nelson Road lot. Like you I could not track the 11 Pinner drive lot back in 1871. I would have expected them to be in Stanmore as Martha (Ann's younger sister) was born there around 1871/2 I can only assume that they were renting having moved from Slough at some point after the 1871 Census before settling in Pinner Drive.

There were a few other single shepheards, and a Thomas, unmarried, living with is elderly mother.

Thinking about things a bit more it does seem odd that the Nelson Road lot would have a daughter Mary A in 1861, who is presumably the same one who visits the Davis' in 1871 and then who moves in with a completely different set of Shepheards in 1883 before she gets married.

It's also a bit confusing that she does not know where she was born (or perhaps her husband does not?) in 1891 when it's documented in the previous census. Hmm the more I look at this the more I wonder if it is a child of the Pinner Drive family, who for whatever reason is not with them in 1881 but returns to the family home just before she gets married. If so then in 1871 they could be in Slough (can't check this on the IGI as Slough isn't listed for some reason) potentially as follows...

Thos. Sheppard, Head, Mar, 39, Farm Labourer, Berwick
Mary, Wife, 24, Berwick
Mary Ann, Daur 7/8, Scholar, Berks Slough
Amy, Daur,  6, Scholar, Berks Slough
Ann, Daur, 3, Scholar, Berks Slough

The fly in this is the 1901 census which definitely says Bucks as a birth place.

Any thoughts?
J.

Offline mosiefish

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 14 September 07 18:54 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Slough is now in Berkshire BUT it was one of those areas that "shifted" and was formerly in Buckinghamshire.

Regards,
Mo
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Lancs: Harrison, Entwistle, Devine, Grundy, Ashworth, Freeman, Jackson, Rushton
Cornwall: Rich, Binney, Peak(e)
Devon: Martin, Walter(s)

Offline cogvos

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 18 September 07 14:30 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Slough is now in Berkshire BUT it was one of those areas that "shifted" and was formerly in Buckinghamshire.

Regards,
Mo

Hi Mo,

Do you have any info as to when they moved it? I can't find Slough in Berks or Bucks on Hugh Wallis' IGI batch numbers site.

I spent some time at the family record centre and London archive yesterday. Couldn't find Martha (11 Pinner Drive family) in the Stanmore baptisms, but I did find out that Henry and George are in the civil register. I'm just hoping that the certificates I've ordered will give me a handle on Mary's maiden name and I can then maybe work forward from the marriage and see if they had a Mary Ann, or if Ann is actually Mary Ann.

J.

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 18 September 07 15:03 BST (UK) »
Slough moved from Buckinghamshire to Berkshire in 1974.  To find baptisms ect in the 19th century you need to look for Upton cum Chalvey.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cogvos

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 18 September 07 15:32 BST (UK) »
Many thanks David, I'd never have worked that out!

Sadly the IGI has no record of either Amy or Ann Sheppard in Upton Cum Chalvey with parents Thomas and Mary.  Looks like I'll just have to hope for the certificates.

J.

Offline cogvos

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 24 September 07 14:07 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

Well the plot thickens.

To recap to save people reading through this thread. I am trying to locate Mary Ann Sheppard (or similar) She was living in Pinner Drive, Pinner Middx at the time of her marriage. Unfortunately her birth is a mystery.

There are two possible families which Mo has  located for me. The most likely is living at 11 Pinner drive in 1881 (Mary Ann married in 1883). They have a daughter Ann, but no mary ann and the daughter is a bit young. The thought is therefore that my mary ann was in service in 1881 and then moved back to the family home prior to her marriage. Now read on.

I have been unable to locate birth certificates for either Any or Ann from 11 Pinner drive. I do however have the birth certificates fro the two sons, Henry and George.

Henry born 10 June 1876 to Thomas Shepperd and Mary S formally Jefrins
George born ??? (it could be twelfth) Feb 1879 to Thomas Sheppard and Mary S formally Jefkins.

Sadly free bmd is drawing a complete blank on this! There are umpeen Thomas Sheppard/Shepherd's marrying Marys but none marrying a Jefkin(s)/Jefrin(s) or Jef anything!  :-\

The IGI has also drawn blank.

Has anyone got any ideas?

J.

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 24 September 07 19:22 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

i do not know who she married but these aree only Mary Jeffkins marriage i could find:~

Mary A Jeffkins Q4 1866 Aylesbury 3a 763
Mary Ann Jefkins Q3 1890 Whitechapel 1c 607
do. Q2 1894 Newport Pagnell 3a 1043

Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive

Offline cogvos

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 14 October 07 14:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Toni*

Many thanks for this. Of the dates you've found it looks like the only one suitable is Mary A Jeffkins in 1866, unless she got married many years after the children were born (unlikely?? - I'm not at all sure. Ancestors seem to have done lots of odd things so I am now very open minded)

Guess the only way to find out is to check the cert and hope!

Many thanks once again.

J.

Offline mosiefish

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 14 October 07 17:24 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I took a look at the complete GRO index images to see if there was a matching Thomas Shepheard (or variations) for the same quarter in 1866 -  No there isn`t. :'( 

Regards,
Mo
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Lancs: Harrison, Entwistle, Devine, Grundy, Ashworth, Freeman, Jackson, Rushton
Cornwall: Rich, Binney, Peak(e)
Devon: Martin, Walter(s)