Author Topic: Romany Gypsies in Wales (Roberts)  (Read 3829 times)

Offline rebekahm28

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Romany Gypsies in Wales (Roberts)
« on: Thursday 13 September 07 14:44 BST (UK) »
 :(   I have been trying to find info about my great grandmothers family for so long.  She was Gentila Roberts, known as Gentina.  Her mother was Mary Ann...but without a birth entry or marriage entry on BMD, thats all we know.  She was born 1890 in Bristol according to her death cert, and died in 1966 in Newport, S Wales. Her 'husband' was Percy Price, whom she had 3 children with born 1920-1924. They lived in Pleasant View, Brynmenyn,near Bridgend, S Wales. As I say, I nor anyone can find a marriage entry.  She later lived with an Alan Edwards, on Cowbridge Rd  Bridgend.  Gentila was a palmist and fortune teller, although I dont think Percy was Romany.  Relations of Gentila's (and we don't know the exact connection) were named Jim & Agnes Roberts, with their son Bill. They lived in a traditional gypsy wagon at the entrance to Brynmenyn train station. Jim was a very well known horse dealer who also made boilers, very respected, and Agnes was a travelling draper.  Bill attended the village school in the 1930s, I have written to the school and received no reply.
Casaubon (Geneva, London), Daulinge, Berners, McMullen (Nottingham), Tabb (Leics), Mycock (Derbys & Staffs), Gilbert (Notts), Price (s Wales), Krilovs/similar, gypsy Roberts, gypsy Clark, Bexell (Sussex), gypsy Elliott, Raven, Neligan (Co Kerry), Rymer, Newton (Hull).

Offline rebekahm28

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Romany Gypsies in Wales (Roberts)
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 13 September 07 14:45 BST (UK) »
PS: She isnt on a census for England, Wales or Scotland, sadly!!
Casaubon (Geneva, London), Daulinge, Berners, McMullen (Nottingham), Tabb (Leics), Mycock (Derbys & Staffs), Gilbert (Notts), Price (s Wales), Krilovs/similar, gypsy Roberts, gypsy Clark, Bexell (Sussex), gypsy Elliott, Raven, Neligan (Co Kerry), Rymer, Newton (Hull).