Author Topic: HUMPHREYS/JONES in Welshpool  (Read 4043 times)

Offline Yegvard

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
HUMPHREYS/JONES in Welshpool
« on: Thursday 13 September 07 15:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Folks,

I have a marriage certificate for Robert HUMPHREYS and Mary JONES dated 20th July 1838.  Residence at the time was Welshpool.  The Parish is described as Welshpool.  Both are of "full age."  (By 1841 they were in Meifod.)

Robert and his father, John, were both farmers.  Whilst Mary was a servant and her father David JONES was also a farmer.  Witnesses were William PRYCE and Elnor JONES.

Would the established parish church be Church of Wales?

If anyone has access to the church registers could you look for a baptism for John Richard HUMPHREYS (HUMPHRIES) please, as he doesn't seem to have a birth certificate? 

Don't suppose there's any rellies out there, are there??   ;)

Kind regards

Mike
HANDS, HANDES, HANNS, HANNES, HANNE, HANNON (Yardley to Bromsgrove)
 MIL(L)WARD, COTTERIL, CLULEE, IZOD, HASSALL, TODD, STRATTON, JAKEMAN, JENNINGS, MOLE, ALLCOCK PINFIELD north Worcestershire
WATERS, Thurzo, Sutherland> Bishopswearmouth, Durham
GARDNER, Solihull;
HUMPHRIES & HUMPHREYS, Meifod, Montgomeryshire>Bilston, STS> Manchester & Texas + Kansas, USA
JAKENS, BIRD, CRAPPER Bury, HIGGINBOTHAM, HORRIDGE, CUNDIFF, Lancs
LEO, Galway/Tipperary, & CARROLL, Carlow Ireland

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Jump into your genes...and dig up your roots
    • View Profile
Re: HUMPHREYS/JONES in Welshpool
« Reply #1 on: Friday 14 September 07 17:46 BST (UK) »

Hello Mike

Firstly, can you let us know, from the marriage certificate, where exactly the couple married? Church/Register Office?  It should say across the top somewhere ;)

If anyone has access to the church registers could you look for a baptism for John Richard HUMPHREYS (HUMPHRIES) please, as he doesn't seem to have a birth certificate?

Without a parish and approximate year of birth this will be a huge task, and if my memory serves me correctly, I'm not aware of any Rootschat members who have immediate access to Montgomeryshire parish registers.

Copies are held at the National Library of Wales in Aberystwyth, and at the Powys County Archives in Llandrindod Wells.

John would have been born before 1837, which was when civil registration began in England and Wales, and so there were no birth certificates before that year.  His baptism is the only record available to go back a generation.

Have you found Robert's father John in any of the census? The 1841 doesn't give place of birth, only County, but from 1851 onwards place of birth was included.  This would help with your search, and also narrown down area of birth.

Unfortunately, JONES from Wales is not an easy name to research as they are literally thousands of them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I've got several unrelated JONES lines in my Tree, but alas no connection with yours!!
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

TROW From Wales to New Zealand

Offline Yegvard

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 14 September 07 18:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Lloydy,

Thanks for getting back.

Across the top of the certificate:-

No. 21 / marriage solemnized at "by banns" / in the district "parish" } Welshpool  in the county of "Montgomery".

which I took to mean "Welshpool" town.  Am I wrong?

The assumption I therefore made was that perhaps the baptism was in the same Church as the marriage.  The 1851 (when John Richard was in Wolverhampton) does indicate that John Richard was born in Meifod, but he is missing from the MGS baptism register transcription.  His 2 younger sisters are however in.

I haven't looked for John, senior,yet as HUMPHREYS is pretty common too.

Cheers

Mike
 MIL(L)WARD, COTTERIL, CLULEE, IZOD, HASSALL, TODD, STRATTON, JAKEMAN, JENNINGS, MOLE, ALLCOCK PINFIELD north Worcestershire
GARDNER, Solihull;
HUMPHRIES & HUMPHREYS, Meifod, Montgomeryshire>Bilston, STS> Manchester & Texas + Kansas, USA

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 14 September 07 18:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Mike

What Church does it say on the certificate?  It must be there somewhere.

Welshpool covered a wider area than just the town:

http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/reg/districts/welshpool.html

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Yegvard

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 14 September 07 22:55 BST (UK) »
Gadget,

Sorry no church is stated.  Oddly the parish in the header is "Welshpool", whereas the abodes are written "Welsh Pool".  Does that make a difference?

Beneath the personal marriage details is printed, "Married in the } 'Parish Church according to the Rites and Ceremonies of the Established Church".

If it's any help the Curate was J. G. Longueville.

Do you think that as the Ref. No. is only 21, by 20th July 1838, somebody hadn't quite got the hang of completing the details properly?

Mike
GARDNER, Solihull;

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 15 September 07 08:22 BST (UK) »
The wording certainly suggests that it is the Parish Church in Welshpool. Although the groom might not have been from Welshpool.

Do you have a rough idea of John Humphries age? It would make any search a lot easier.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Yegvard

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 15 September 07 09:14 BST (UK) »
Hi,

When Robert HUMPHREYS married Mary JONES in 1838, they were both described as "full age."  So I put Robert's birth prior to 1817.

Also from the 1841 Robert was "20", giving a birth range 1816-1821 and Mary was "30" giving 1806-1811.

So a guess would be that if Robert's father John was 25 at the time of his birth then John would be born around 1791.

Mike
GARDNER, Solihull;

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 15 September 07 09:15 BST (UK) »

The 1851 (when John Richard was in Wolverhampton) does indicate that John Richard was born in Meifod

what age does he give on the 1851 in Wolverhampton?

Offline Yegvard

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 16 September 07 21:40 BST (UK) »
Oops,

Sorry 1861.  John is aged 22, in Bilston.  (RG 9/2004 page 18. HUMPHRIES)

Mike
GARDNER, Solihull;