Author Topic: Top Family Secrets  (Read 4443 times)

Offline KathMc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Top Family Secrets
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 22 September 07 11:10 BST (UK) »
Very true, as it could have been a nun who filled it out, and I am sure she wanted nothing to do with useless men, especially a protestant one.  :o

Kath
Sligo: Davey (also Mayo), McCluskey, McNulty
Wexford and Staffordshire: Hayes, McClean
Galway and Staffordshire: Scott
Coventry: Wells, Collins, Palmer, Moody, Beck, Mickelwright, Husbands
Ireland: McNulty (Sligo), Kealy, Murphy (Carlow) Connolly, Gillen, Powell, Ryan, Moore, Martin
Davis from I don't know where originally
Stahl, Russia to England to USA

Offline Bitza 5

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 22 September 07 14:56 BST (UK) »
I have 1,2,3,4, 5, and almost a 10. but with out these we wouldn't have a history to uncover so i guess we should be grateful. and our searches would be so boaring. which reminds me of jobs in the late 1800s and no mention of these jobs in the 1891 census.

bitza
ClearyIreland/England
Normyle Ireland/England
Liddell Lanark
Freland Scotland
Cameron Scotland
Renfrey cornwall
Tregoning Cornwall
Lewis Wales
Burge England
Mills England
Spanswick England

Offline Siamese Girl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 22 September 07 15:46 BST (UK) »
Another one that might have been included on the list is mental illness - finding someone who had been shut away in some institution is always sad :(

Carole

CHILD Glos/London, BONUS London, DIMSDALE London, HODD and TUTT Sussex,  BONNER and PATTEN Essex, BOWLER and HOLLIER Oxfordshire, HUGH Lincolnshire, LEEDOM all.

Offline Subaru

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Whitehaven harbour
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 22 September 07 19:48 BST (UK) »
Five out of eleven, and three lunatics!!!

That is horrible about the church of Scotland.  Can you imagine what that must have been like? 

My mam was surprised when I found out that her parents were never married.  She was brought up strict catholic by her dad.  Her (protestant) mam died when she was 3.  I think it was probably something to do with the religion problems why they didn't actually marry.  But already being married could have been the problem, as he was nearly 20 years older than her.  So bigamy could have also been on my list.