Author Topic: Help with photo please  (Read 6282 times)

Offline Nessie56

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Help with photo please
« on: Thursday 13 September 07 19:46 BST (UK) »
Hi

Would anyone be able to tell me more about this photo, the man under the cross was my granddad he was with the East Lancashire regiment.

There is writing at the bottom of the photo but I can't make it out.

I would appreciate any information.

Thanks
Nessie
Lynch Ireland, Scotland, Lancashire.   Whittle, Lancashire.   Day, Oxfordshire, Lancashire.  Norman, Ireland, India   Smith, Lancashire.    Bottomley, Yorkshire.  Walker, Scotland, U.S.A New Jersey, Lancashire.   Brennan, Ireland, Lancashire.

Offline Shropshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Help with photo please
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 13 September 07 22:56 BST (UK) »
There are many people far more knowledgeable than me but I think he must have been in the 2nd Battalion and the photo was taken in India.  The writing starts with 15 Pltn, 'D' Coy (15 Platoon, 'D' Company).  The next bit might give the name of the camp.  How about posting it on the Photograph board and asking for the writing to be brought out a bit?

Monica
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Nessie56

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 13 September 07 23:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks Monica ;D ;D

I had the same idea, I posted the photo just a short time ago.

Great minds think alike ;) ;)

I am about to send for my granddads service records, so I was hoping the information on the bottom of the photo might help with the search.

Thanks again for your help.
Nessie
Lynch Ireland, Scotland, Lancashire.   Whittle, Lancashire.   Day, Oxfordshire, Lancashire.  Norman, Ireland, India   Smith, Lancashire.    Bottomley, Yorkshire.  Walker, Scotland, U.S.A New Jersey, Lancashire.   Brennan, Ireland, Lancashire.

Offline Shropshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 13 September 07 23:14 BST (UK) »
Just think how many other people's grand-dads you have on this photo. :)  When the photo is tidied up, how about offering a copy to the regimental museum?  Other people may get to see their relation on it.

Earlier on in the year my Dad was able to send a couple of photos to the daughter of one of his army mates - she only had one photo of her father and was so happy to get some more.

I hope someone else can give you some more information on the regiment.

Monica

Offline scrimnet

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • No plan ever survives first contact...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 14 September 07 12:53 BST (UK) »
ok, some int from the photo for you...

The 1st East Lancs were at these postings during the time scale of the pic...

1922 Malta   
  1924 Egypt/Sudan   
  1925 India: Quetta   
  1929 Poona   
  1931 Bombay   
  1932 China: Shanghai

And the 2nd bn....

1933 Hong Kong   
  1937 India: Ambala

Now, they are wearing Wolsely helmets (commonly, pith helmets) and have 1908 pattern webbing on. This dates the pic prior to the introduction of 1937 patten. Thet are also "out east" somewhere, as this is where these hats were used.

There is a fair smattering of Khaki Drill tops and greyback shirts...But I wonder why your grandfather appears to be the only one not in shirt sleeve order!!!!???? (ie sleeves rolled down)

Do you have date of birth etc for him??

Der!! I've just noticed...1/ ELR...so one of the above postings, from 1922-32
One more charge and then be dumb,
            When the forts of Folly fall,
        May the victors when they come
            Find my body near the wall.

Offline Nessie56

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 14 September 07 14:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica

Good idea about the museum. ;D I only got the photo a short time ago, I had only seen my granddad once when I was about seven and he gave me two pence to spend.  :)

I also got a photo of his wedding day, so you can imagine how excited I was :) :).
Thanks for the suggestion.

Hi Scrimnet

Thanks for the info, do you know I had never noticed the shirt sleeves.

My granddad was born in 1907, in Bedfordshire, from what I can work out he joined the army at an early age.

He married in 1934 and was based at Catterick camp.

My mum was born in 1945 and my granddad was still in the army, according to my mums birth certificate he was a Quarter Master Sergeant.

I have been told by family that my granddad was in the army for about 22 years.

I hope this info helps

Regards
Nessie

Offline Shropshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 14 September 07 20:50 BST (UK) »
Great stuff, Scrimnet.  You guys are so knowledgeable.

Der!! I've just noticed...1/ ELR...so one of the above postings, from 1922-32

I don't think he looks like a very young man in the photo, so for dates I'd opt for the end of the period - 1930ish.  What do others think?

Out of interest, what does 1/ELR mean?

Nessie, I hadn't noticed the shirtsleeves either.  Do you know what medals he had?

Monica

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 14 September 07 21:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica,

1/ELR = 1st Battalion East Lancashire Regiment

old rowley
Claxton- East London & Essex<br />Cuthbert- Mile End East London <br />Edwards - East London & Essex<br />Goll- Norfolk<br />Harris-Mile End East London<br />Hurr - Suffolk<br />Law- Bethnal Green East London<br />Moll- East London<br />Robinson- Bethnal Green East London<br />Tait- Argyll & Glasgow<br />Thompson Shoreditch East london<br />Watson- Glasgow<br />Wood- Bethnal Green East London<br /><br />Local history interest; Noak Hill & Harold Hill Essex<br /><br />census information crown cop

Offline Nessie56

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 14 September 07 22:09 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that old rowley,  :) on the photo it looked like YELP to me. ;D

Hi Monica

I have no idea what medals my granddad got, hopefully if I can get his service records it will have that sort of information.

I have attached my granddad and Nan's wedding photo taken in 1934 so you can have a closer look at my granddad.

My Nan and granddad spit up around 1958 so I don't know a lot about him. Apparently he was a bit of a rough, that might explain the shirt sleeves ;)

Janet