Author Topic: BBC "Who Do You Think You Are?" John Hurt (WDYTYA Series 4 Episode 2 )  (Read 46242 times)

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: WDYTYA series 4 # 2 John Hurt
« Reply #27 on: Friday 14 September 07 08:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks aghadowey, I thought perhaps I had dropped off and missed the explanation.

Kerry  ;D
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline Floss

• RootsChat Senior
  • John Forward 1823-1903
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 14 September 07 09:31 BST (UK) »
I enjoyed it probably because of the connections to Grimsby (fame at last  ;D)

Fiona
Cutsforth - Hull
Blades/Donson - Lincolnshire
Forward - Hull/Lincolnshire/Polperro
Fryman - Grimsby
Seed - Dewsbury/Lincolnshire
McIlduff - Portadown/Glasgow
McIntosh - Aberdeen/Glasgow
Beattie - Angus/Aberdeen
Census Information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline 7igerby7he7ail

• RootsChat Member
  • Where are they?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 14 September 07 09:43 BST (UK) »
Wonder if he ever went to Cleethorpes and had a ride on a Donkey?
Tree
GAUNT N Staffordshire,GAUNT Manchester.GUY,Shropshire, BARTLEY,Salford, Lancs, NEVILLE,Salford. PHILLIPS,Staffs, MAYER,Staffs,COSSAR,Berwick, E and Mid Lothian and Argyll. HIGGINS,Glasgowand Dunoon,Argyll.GALLAGHER,Argyll,IRISH,Herts.

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 14 September 07 09:44 BST (UK) »
There was so much bad genealogy all the way through that I found this by far the worst of the programmes so far.

It started when there was no attempt to find the marriage of the parents when the baptism was found.  How many of us when they find both parents named in a baptism immediately assume that it proves that they weren't really the parents.  This was a terrible example all the way through, of how not to be rigorous when carrying out research.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Nutty1966

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Annie Isabelle Bollands nee Rice
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 14 September 07 09:53 BST (UK) »
Well I for enjoyed it, I agree a few more facts should maybe have been researched, but I still enjoyed the stories and myth's I bet we all have a few of those. 

Still think next week's will be the best

Griff Rhys-Jones

Jane
LEICESTERSHIRE & MIDDLESBROUGH - BOLLANDS, GORE,
LINCOLNSHIRE - BAKEWELL, MARRIOTT
MONAGHAN & CRAMLINGTON - RICE
LAZENBY - HANSOM, HARRISON, NODDINGS, EASBY
BARNBY DUN - HARVEY, BLANCHARD
DANBY & WHITBY  - JEFFELS
LIVERPOOL - GANDER
SKELTON & ESTON - SEATON
BEDALE & MIDDLESBROUGH - STEPHENSON
BROUGHTON - HARRISON
MIDDLESBROUGH - WARD,FOSTER
PINCHINTHORPE -  POSTGATE
BILSDALE- BOYES

Cenusu informations is from crown copyright
www.nationalarchives.gov.uK

Offline Windsor87

• RootsChat Senior
  • Rose of Ballivat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 14 September 07 10:36 BST (UK) »
What a bunch of moaning minnies. I didn't see anything wrong with that episode. For obvious reasons, it did not compare with that of last week but not every family has extraodinary roots. That was shown in the programme.

One thing that I think sets this episode apart from others, is the fact that John Hurt was not really exploring his family tree, but exploring a family myth.

As for his reaction, I'm not surprised he was feeling down. At the start of the episode he was a man who claimed to have roots in the aristocracy and an emotional attachment to Ireland. Instead he learned his so called aristocrats were fraudsters of the highest nature with no Irish links whatsoever.
Strachan of Strichen/New Pitsligo - Connon of Turriff - Watt of Pennan - Noble of Broadsea -  Garden of Peterhead - Bryson of Ecclefechan

Offline Mr. MIGKY

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 14 September 07 11:10 BST (UK) »
May i ask a question please? On last nights show, they said that on a marriage certificate it had there ages as full. They said this ment of 21 years old plus. I have a wedding certificate of my Grandparents back in Ireland. It states that in 1919, my Gran's age on it was Full at the time of the marriage. She died in 1936 aged 36, so this would have made her age 19 when married?  As i don't have her birth certificate, which year should i be looking for her birth year? 1900 or 1898?

Migky ;)

Offline downside

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Make my day
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 14 September 07 11:22 BST (UK) »
There was an article in the Review section of last weeks Sunday Times in which John Hurt commented on the program.  He felt that he was stitched-up by the BBC in certain respects:-

The film makes much of his disappointment, although Hurt remarks acidly that he believe's it has been edited to make him look "a prick" obsessed by class, desparate to prove that he really comes from aristocratic Irish stock, not from the solidly lower middle-class English family in which he was brought up.
Sussex: Floate, West
Kent: Tuffee
Cheshire: Gradwell
Lancashire: Gradwell

UK Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 14 September 07 11:31 BST (UK) »
May i ask a question please? On last nights show, they said that on a marriage certificate it had there ages as full. They said this ment of 21 years old plus. I have a wedding certificate of my Grandparents back in Ireland. It states that in 1919, my Gran's age on it was Full at the time of the marriage. She died in 1936 aged 36, so this would have made her age 19 when married?  As i don't have her birth certificate, which year should i be looking for her birth year? 1900 or 1898?

Migky ;)

It depends on whether you think she lied because she didn't want to get her parents permission to marry.  You need to look at both dates because the age at death is also likely to be wrong as it is only what the person who registered the death thought her age to be.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk