Author Topic: ANCELL/GODFREY Pegsdon  (Read 22488 times)

Offline seahall

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://5bravemen.weebly.com/
    • View Profile
Re: ANCELL/GODFREY Pegsdon
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 15 September 07 22:03 BST (UK) »
Another angle although most of the graves have been removed on the lower side to the left

This link has some lovely night views also http://www.athought.bigyin.org.uk/shillington_parish_church.htm

Sandy
Census Crown Copyright

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 16 September 07 10:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Sandy
Thank you for posting the pics and the link with the night views - they are lovely, gives a real feel for the place.
Jan ;)
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
cambridgeshire- bird, carver
hertfordshire- conisbee, bean, saunders, quick,godfrey
derbyshire- allsop, noon
devon - griffin, love, rapsey
dorset- rendall, gale
somerset- rendall, churchill
surrey/middlesex - douglas, conisbee, childs, lyon groombridge

Offline cathymcc

• I am sorry but my emails are not working.
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Sam & Hilda Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 26 September 07 18:12 BST (UK) »
That hill is lethal, Sandy!

Some of your names appear on the Gaol register I think [but no the ones you are intersted in. I think, Jan]

There may be some clues in the blars adlib site - Godfrey's occupied the Pegsden Farm in the 19th C...there may be other clues.  But there may be Wills for some of these people

cathy
Bedfordshire: Worker [Flitton]; Ames [Kempston]; Manton [Kempston]; Morris [?]; Valentine [Kempston]; Two & Osborn [Cranfield]

Herfordshire and West London: Brown [Kent in early 19th C]; Blackwell.
McCarthy [Clonakilty, County Cork - searching for needles in the haystack!] and LOSTY [Dublin]

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 27 September 07 10:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Cathy
Yes I have searched Blars for them but didn't find the Pegsden Farm ref and can't see it now ??? What did you put in the search box please?
Jan  ;)
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
derbyshire- allsop, noon
dorset- rendall, gale

Offline cathymcc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Sam & Hilda Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 27 September 07 21:59 BST (UK) »
Ref Z932 at Blars legal papers - a foreclosure?

I only had a quick look so there may be more

cathy
Bedfordshire: Worker [Flitton]; Ames [Kempston]; Manton [Kempston]; Morris [?]; Valentine [Kempston]; Two & Osborn [Cranfield]

McCarthy [Clonakilty, County Cork - searching for needles in the haystack!] and LOSTY [Dublin]

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 28 September 07 11:24 BST (UK) »
Still can't find it Cathy - I put that reference in and something about Salute to a Soldier came up ??? :D
Ah found something at X900 - George Godfrey at Pegsdon Farm in 1861 - he looks likely to be a cousin of Richard's.
Thanks for the pointer
Jan ;)

buckinghamshire- pain
derbyshire- allsop, noon
dorset- rendall, gale

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 02 November 07 12:45 GMT (UK) »
An update - the will of William Ancell yeoman of Pegsdon, probate date Dec 1826, mentions his wife Sarah and his 3 daughters Sophia, Sarah and Mary :D No mention of a son Francis though. So I'm pretty certain I've located my Mary's parents - did try looking for a non-conformist baptism for her whilst I was in the RO but nothing doing for that time in that area. It is quite possible the children were baptised in Herts. Now off to see what happened to Sophia.
Jan ;)

Sophia Ancell married William Allen in Shillington in 1822, she was baptised in Hexton 13 Apr 1800 parents William and Sarah - so one at least confirmed.

buckinghamshire- pain
derbyshire- allsop, noon
dorset- rendall, gale

Offline cathymcc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Sam & Hilda Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 02 November 07 18:27 GMT (UK) »
Janan

Sometimes the sons aren't mentioned in a Will if there is only one because they already have the land/shop whatever and are looking after the parents - so there would be no squabling.  But Francis may have died before his father?

And the William was a yeoman [working farmer] & so there was land...they often seemed to worry about the daughters more and often left bequests for 'her sole use' [although I think if you were married your money was your husbands!]

cathy

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 02 November 07 21:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cathy

Thanks for that. It does seem quite possible that the absence of Francis being mentioned in the will would not necessarily exclude him from being a son of William and Sarah -  sadly doesn't help Sandy confirm Francis's parents though! He is still alive in 41.

By the way William and the John mentioned earlier do appear to be brothers - John being the son of Thomas Ansel and Ali, William son of   'blank'  Ansel and Ali, and what seem to be other siblings being children of Thomas and Alice.

Jan ;)

buckinghamshire- pain
derbyshire- allsop, noon
dorset- rendall, gale