Author Topic: Catholic marriages  (Read 2953 times)

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Catholic marriages
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 15 September 07 13:03 BST (UK) »
As regards a blessing,  in the Church of England  there is a service of prayer and dedication after a civil ceremony. There are no legal requirements or set fees. http://www.rootschat.com/links/01wy/

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jillie42

• I am sorry but my email address is not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 15 September 07 13:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks to everyone for replying but I'm currently banging my head on my desk (I must stop - it's beginning to hurt) It's never straightforward is it? I know rules are there to be broken but why did our ancestors make such a bad blo**y habbit of it?

So the original article I read, supposedly written by an expert in a resputable magazine doesn't seem to be correct at all. Worrying, since I tend, perhaps wrongly, to read these as given facts which it would appear they are not ::)
Eaton (Woughton on the Green, Doncaster and N. London), Davis(Shinfield and London), Harrington (Ireland and London), Sutcliffe (Todmorden and London), Williams, Hollingsworth (Thaxted), Lane (Rotherhithe), Fuller (Chesterton, Cambs), Dilley (who knows where????)

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 16 September 07 01:35 BST (UK) »
It IS awfully frustrating, isn't it, Jillie?  Stick with good ol' Rootschat - people here will help every time!!  ;D

MarieC

PS  Probably 25 years ago, I attended a marriage in the Catholic cathedral here between a MUSLIM man who was a friend of mine and a Catholic woman!  It was a lovely ceremony.  I believe they also had an Islamic marriage.  That probably wouldn't happen now, as that church has become more conservative.
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland