Author Topic: Crestfallen then elated.  (Read 3896 times)

Offline Walksfarman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Crestfallen then elated
« Reply #18 on: Friday 14 September 07 14:12 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone that replied to my post, thankyou but my intention was not to start ww3! now here is why I hired a researcher, 1: I had hit a brickwall (large!) with my ggggrandfather whom I was told was a huguenot, but I was not able to substantiate this claim, 2: I was searching for my ggggfathers parents and siblings but only found conflicting stories and quite a bit of inaccurate information, and I could not find anything myself, after much searching, that I would like to have called fact, 3: after exhaustive detective work and armed with the information I received from rootschat (accurate by the way) members I began my crusade which came to practically nothing so as a LAST resort I hired a recommended researcher, my first and last time perhaps.
Now when I said I was related to so called royalty, I was NOT looking for a medal OR a chest to pin it on!, nor did I shout the fact from the highest hill! I was very excited as I am sure  others would have been if they had learned this fact as well, it would not have mattered if I found a relative that was a strumpet, dustman, beggar or thief, it would still be exciting to me!
Don't get me wrong there are some decent trustworthy human beings out there as well as PROFESSIONAL genealogists!
When I have found a connection I thoroughly check it out to the best of my ability, if not I ask rootschat!!
Well there, I have given my 2 bobs worth!
All the best,
Alan

Offline aussiegalx

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Crestfallen then elated.
« Reply #19 on: Friday 14 September 07 14:25 BST (UK) »
I am glad that the original poster is elated at what he found.  It is not up to anybody but us what makes us feel proud or not.  And being overseas myself, I would have been crestfallen too if I paid a researcher to only get what I already had.

Maybe there is confusion as to what a personal attack is.  When you say the person deserves to be disappointed, many people would take it as a personal attack.  No one deserves to be disappointed, and no one should say they should be disappointed.

Message boards are here to discuss opinions, not to say something that may upset someone else.  Telling someone who was rightly upset at what *appears* to be a personal attack, to get over it, seems to add credence to the initial thought by a few here that it is in fact what it looks like.

I read the initial post and I took it like it seems others did too.  I only hope the original poster did not take it as such.  but i think it says something if they have not replied.  I know if I got a reply like the 'deserve to be disappointed,' I would be so disappointed I would not reply.  Though my sister would get so angry, she'd reply.. boy would she lol.

I also think many people would feel upset when a professional only gives you what you already had.

Many of us live overseas and have no other choice but to seek genealogists or other RC's.

I think that is what the original poster wanted.. help.. not to be told he deserves to be disappointed.

I suggest that the moderators curtail this whatever it is.  I also suggest that people *think* how what they say could be interpreted in case it could be thought of as a personal attack.

As Forest Gump said, that's all I have to say about that. 
STAGG/MARTIN/EAGLE/SPACKMAN - WILTSHIRE
ANDREWS - DEVON
NICHOLSON - LINCOLNSHIRE
SNELL/BONE - CORNWALL

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KathMc

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Crestfallen then elated
« Reply #20 on: Friday 14 September 07 15:18 BST (UK) »
Alan,

No explanation was necessary. I was just as excited when I found my connection to Camilla, but boy you should have seen me when we found the brothel madame in Russia. Now there is a story.  ;D Of course it's on my husband's side. All the colorful stories seem to be. She was also purported to be a witch/healer.

I hope you crack that brickwall.

Kath
Sligo: Davey (also Mayo), McCluskey, McNulty
Wexford and Staffordshire: Hayes, McClean
Galway and Staffordshire: Scott
Coventry: Wells, Collins, Palmer, Moody, Beck, Mickelwright, Husbands
Ireland: McNulty (Sligo), Kealy, Murphy (Carlow) Connolly, Gillen, Powell, Ryan, Moore, Martin
Davis from I don't know where originally
Stahl, Russia to England to USA

Offline aussiegalx

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 14 September 07 15:33 BST (UK) »
Can't fault you when you have done everything you possibly could yourself.  I also would be upset at the researcher not giving you what you had hoped to receive.

I also would be excited at finding a connection to whoever it is.  I don't think it matters who we are connected to, it is exciting to find any connection, as another poster in the other thread said.

I also wish you luck in your brick wall.  I think we should all form a brick wall society or something lol.  The answers are out there, we just have to ask others for help sometimes to find them.  So I do hope you can find out what you were looking for.

Jenny
ANDREWS - DEVON
NICHOLSON - LINCOLNSHIRE
SNELL/BONE - CORNWALL

Offline Nadine Moore

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 14 September 07 15:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Alan

Bad luck about the researcher but good news about the Jordanian link. When you read through some of the Lighter Side/TOT threads you will see loads of people who are just so happy to share something they have been searching for for a while then finally found. That is how I interpreted your original post.

Most people on RC are as happy for others knocking chips off their walls as they are in breaking their own.

Good luck in your search for those hugenots.

dinie
Census information is Crown Copyright - www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
ADAMS - Kent/Sussex, BROOKS - Buckinghamshire/Northamptonshire. GASCOYNE/GASKINS - Buckinghamshire/Northamptonshire. GOULD - Derbyshire/Lancashire. HILL - Hampshire/Kent/Lancashire/Limerick. MARK - Buckinghamshire/Cumberland/Lancashire. WILCOX - Buckinghamshire/Northamptonshire. WITTONBROOKES/WITTENBROKE - Northamptonshire/Buckinghamshire. YATES - Canada.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 14 September 07 16:56 BST (UK) »
I've sent a PM to OzzyAl, welcoming him to Rootschat.  Hope we see more of him.

Liz

Offline aussiegalx

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 14 September 07 16:58 BST (UK) »
Good for you.  I think you'll find a few of us have also done the same thing.  Being friendly and welcoming and helpful is what Rootschat is all about after all  ;D
ANDREWS - DEVON
NICHOLSON - LINCOLNSHIRE
SNELL/BONE - CORNWALL

Offline Theli p

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 14 September 07 19:18 BST (UK) »
Hello Alan
I feel I must apologise for the response you got from Sarndra. If I had received a message like that I would not have returned to RC. I usually enjoy reading replies and following all the messages but not this one. I have always found that Rootschatters are friendly and very helpful and have pointed out errors/misunderstandings in a polite way.
         I quite understand how excited you were. I am still waiting to unearth something unusual! Best wishes TheliP
Lamper, Hoather,Trangmar,Hide, Hollingdale, Sussex
Dinkele, Galer London
Pope, Beaven, Button, Somerset
Walker, Rochdale
Simcock, Cheshire/Staffs
Burrow, Goodwin, Worcester
Pound,Naish, Wilkey,  Bristol

Offline Sarndra

• RootsChat Senior
  • www.magnaquiestracing.co.nz
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 14 September 07 22:53 BST (UK) »
Hello Alan
I feel I must apologise for the response you got from Sarndra. If I had received a message like that I would not have returned to RC. I usually enjoy reading replies and following all the messages but not this one. I have always found that Rootschatters are friendly and very helpful and have pointed out errors/misunderstandings in a polite way.
         I quite understand how excited you were. I am still waiting to unearth something unusual! Best wishes TheliP

You do NOT need to apologise for me stating my opinion...that is what freedom of speech on the internet is about.  If you DISSEMINATE my messages in the way they were intended, you will see the underlying message that was not particularly aimed at the original poster but as an opinion i've had for a lot of people.
Also if you bothered to look at previous postings i have made i have also helped many people and contributed in rootschat for a number of years and also helped many people over my 10 years on the internet. 

These forums are notorious for little groups forming and going on head hunting exercises when opinions are not liked.  If posting messages on messageboards/newsgroups, one has to be aware of answers that they will get that they will also probably not like.   EOS

Sarndra
ARBUCKLE; BAILEY; BLACKADDER; BURNS; DARBON/DARBEN; DAVIDSON; ERSKINE; EVANS; GUEST; HANNAH; HAMILTON; HAND; HOLDER; JOHNSTON; KENNEDY; KITCHENER; LAVERIE; LAWSON; LEES;  LEESE; LOAN; LODGE; MACE; MCCOOK; MCGUIRE; MCKAI/MCKAY; MCLEES; PAWSON; RUSS; STEVENSON; TOUGH; VALE; WERT; WHEELER; WORT;