Author Topic: Almon SNELL in 1871... living or dead?  (Read 6389 times)

Offline aussiegalx

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Almon SNELL in 1871... living or dead?
« on: Saturday 15 September 07 08:48 BST (UK) »
Almon is still a huge mystery  ???  A relative now tells me that his wife in 1871, Mary Ann SNELL, is listed as a WIFE, but head, and pauper in the 1871.  I just found the entry on FreeCen and that is correct. 

I can't find a death for Almon and it is such a strange name, easy to mistranscribe.

His wife Mary Ann SNELL was living in 40 Fore Street in St Blazey....

Is it common to have a widow say she is a wife, or is Almon somewhere else?

What happens if the head (Mary Ann) is a pauper?  Could her husband be somewhere?

This family is one huge brick wall and if anyone could help, I'd be very grateful.

Jenny
STAGG/MARTIN/EAGLE/SPACKMAN - WILTSHIRE
ANDREWS - DEVON
NICHOLSON - LINCOLNSHIRE
SNELL/BONE - CORNWALL

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Eyesee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Almon SNELL in 1871... living or dead?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 15 September 07 09:35 BST (UK) »
Could be him in 1861
RG9; Piece: 1547; Folio: 67; Page: 14
Bescoppa Common??, St Austell
Holman SNELL, head mar 24, Tin miner, born Cornwall, St Stephen
Mary Ann SNELL, wife mar 25, born Cornwall, St Austell

See what you mean about his name being mistranscribed. In 1851 he was Almond SNELL.

Allaman SNELL married Mary Ann COUSENTINE, Jun qtr 1859, St Austell, 5c 202.

Ian C
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline aussiegalx

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 15 September 07 09:51 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply  ;D  Yep that looks like him  ;D  And yeah it is a mess.. that is why he is missing in the 1841.. no sign of him

I am wondering if he could be alive in 1871 but living elsewhere, as his wife says she is his wife, not widow.. and yet who knows where he can be.

Mary Ann soon remarries a John COCKING, and I am pretty sure they come over here to Australia in the 1870's.

But if Almon did die.. or didn't.. that is the question  :o
ANDREWS - DEVON
NICHOLSON - LINCOLNSHIRE
SNELL/BONE - CORNWALL

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 15 September 07 10:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply  ;D  Yep that looks like him  ;D  And yeah it is a mess.. that is why he is missing in the 1841.. no sign of him

Hi Jenny,
can't make out if you know that only Almon is missing in 1841 or you can't find the family- they seem to be transcribed as Mull
HO107; Piece 146; Book: 4; Folio: 31; Page: 12
It is a really poor copy but there is no sign of anyone of that age in the family-the youngest child is Samuel aged 10 yrs
According to submissions on Family Search - Philippa was 'Bone' and there are 3 other 'Bones' with them in 1841- perhaps children from earlier marriage?  I was wondering if Almon was a grandchild but Family Search has church record of his baptism  - parents James and Philippa (apologies if I am going over old ground here).

As you say- a mystery!

best wishes
heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline aussiegalx

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 15 September 07 10:36 BST (UK) »
No apologies necessary, it is always good to hear other opinions.

I am very grateful to the moderator KRIS who has helped a lot.  But now this mystery just gets deeper and more confusing.

On some census sites in 1841 they are transcribed as MELL, MULL etc lol.  But can't find Almon.

Also can't find him in the 1871 so no idea where he is.  I have his baptism, he is the son of James and Phillipa, born in 1836.

The BONE children are very confusing, as Phillipa was BONE when she married James SNELL.  I already have another topic trying to figure out if Phillipa BONE was Philadelphia SKIDGEMORE who married William BONE and thus had the BONE children that were in the census.  The St Stephen in Brannel OPC showed me the James SNELL to Phillipa BONE marriage, she didn't say if she was a spinster or widow  ::)

Another relative can not find any Almon SNELL deaths, neither can I. 

Why do you think Mary Ann would say WIFE not widow? Unless Almon is somewhere...

This is just so confusing.
ANDREWS - DEVON
NICHOLSON - LINCOLNSHIRE
SNELL/BONE - CORNWALL

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 16 September 07 05:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Jenny,

This Almon of yours is a real pest isn't he. I can't find him either. As you say Mary Ann lists as wife, married in 1871. I Can't find him in the census and I have been through Deaths quarter by quarter from 1863 when his youngest child was conceived until 1873 when Mary Ann remarries and I don't see him. There is no Snell with a name anything like Almon listed in that 10 year period.

Maybe he deserted Mary Ann, or went overseas and was to send for her and died or just changed his mind, so she waited 7 years to remarry. Its hard to say why some women list as married when they are Widowed, but some certainly do. Maybe she is widowed, maybe not. We have seen with his name, where not one but both his names cause enumerators and transcribers problems so maybe he is out there and I just can't find him. I tried for ages last night and again today looking in 1871 and 1881 census and I am sorry but I don't see him. If he is alive in England he really is hiding. Hope someone else can find him...........Kris  :'(  :'(  :'(
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline aussiegalx

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 16 September 07 05:53 BST (UK) »
Kris, thanks for looking  ;D  Yes Almon is a pest, but you are a STAR.  I really appreciate all your hard work, I really do.  You have been great.

If someone like you who works so hard on it can't find him, and neither can I.. maybe he just can't be found.

It is so strange, isn't it?  I will double check when she marries but it is under 7 years I think.

Maybe he did just run off?  You would think having a name like Almon would be easy to find, but it is the opposite isn't it, as it could be transcribed as anything.

Thanks so much for all your hard work, I really am grateful.  And I will make sure to tell my relative Jan that you have tried really hard too.

I wonder if this is ever going to get solved...

Thanks Kris  ;D
ANDREWS - DEVON
NICHOLSON - LINCOLNSHIRE
SNELL/BONE - CORNWALL

Offline aussiegalx

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 16 September 07 05:59 BST (UK) »
She remarried John COCKING in 1873 in St Austell.  They then came over to Australia with her kids so...

Hmm I wonder if he ran off and emigrated somewhere?

These pests are sent to try us lol
ANDREWS - DEVON
NICHOLSON - LINCOLNSHIRE
SNELL/BONE - CORNWALL

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 16 September 07 06:04 BST (UK) »
Last child born 1864 - conceived 1863 so if he did vanish he may have been gone nearly 10 years when she remarried.

I am curious about this - probably not him but an Almond Snell married in Wisconsin in 1903.

http://users.rootsweb.com/~wilangl2/vitals/marriages/marriagess.html

I wonder who he was and where he got the name from.......Kris  :D
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk