Author Topic: Patrick Ward b. 1866  (Read 4853 times)

Offline LizzyDow

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Patrick Ward b. 1866
« on: Saturday 15 September 07 18:49 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am new to Carrickmacross and so excited that I have found another Irish ancestor’s birthplace! Patrick Ward was born on May 1, 1866 to Francis Ward and Mary McGuiness. According to Patrick's death record, Francis Ward was also born in Carrickmacross. I did some searching and found a Francis Ward in Greaghnaroog who leased land from Evelyn P. Shirley. This was found on a Griffiths Primary Valuation from 1861. I also have a map of Monaghan. Alas, I do not know if this Francis Ward is Patrick's father.
Patrick married an Alice or Anne and lived in Glasgow Scotland with his sister Rose and his brother John. I have them on the 1891 census in Glasgow. He has two children, Francis, age 2 who is listed as a girl, but is a boy and Bernard Michael, 1, who is my great grandfather.
I am hoping to find more family, siblings, and maybe a marriage record for Patrick. They came back to Ireland, Derry, and immigrated to New York City and then eventually moved to Yarmouth Maine. They are buried in Holy Cross Catholic Cemetery in Yarmouth Maine.
Any help would be appreciated. Thank you very much, Liz Dow, Yarmouth Maine

Offline maryderry

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Patrick Ward b. 1866
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 15 September 07 23:55 BST (UK) »
hello liz, welcome to rootschat.did'nt find a marriage for mary & francis, found theses births.

PATRICK. 29-5-1865. MICHAEL 13-8-1867. MARY 18-12-1869. CATHERINE 10-2-1872. ALL BORN RAFERAGH, MONAGHAN, IRE.
parents. FRANCIS WARD & MARY MAGINESS (ON CATHERINES BIRTH) (ON PATRICKS & MICHAELS ITS MCGGINESS)  (ON MARYS ITS MCGINNESS).

REGARDS MARY.
doolin?
quigley- hasson. stewart. lynch. doherty gallagher-derry
mclaughlin-  brennan .moville co. donegal
mctaggart
monaghan

Offline Mr J T Arthur

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 16 September 07 11:12 BST (UK) »
Hello Liz,

Just for the record, Raferagh refers to the registration district. The Superintendent Registration District of Carrickmacross is divided into three sub districts, Carrickmacross, Donaghmoyne and Raferagh. These districts are divided into Electoral Divisions. The townland of Greaghnaroog is in the Raferagh District and the Electoral Division of Drumgurra, therefore the Francis Ward at Greaghnaroog in GV has a strong possibility of being Patrick's father. His birth certificate will record the townland where he was born within the District of Raferagh.

J.T.A.

Offline LizzyDow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 16 September 07 12:26 BST (UK) »
Dear Mary and J.T.A.,
Thank youvery much! Your information is invaluable to me. How do I go about getting the birth certificates of Patrick, and his children? Is there someone I should write to, or should I call the Raferagh District or the Electoral Division of Greaghnaroog? This is all so new to me. Just out of curiosity, I have a ggggrandfather born in Glin, Kilfergus, Limerick. Are they set up the same way as Carrickmacross? Thank you for your patience.
Regards, Liz

Offline Mr J T Arthur

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 16 September 07 13:27 BST (UK) »
Liz,

Try this and print out the application form. You should not have a problem as you have Patrick's date of birth and the name of his parents. The G.R.O. births are indexed according to the Superintendent Registrar's District so just enter Carrickmacross for the location with Raferagh District in brackets.

http://www.groireland.ie/apply_for_a_cert.htm

Good luck,
J.T.A.

N.B. Civil registration of births only commenced in 1864 so you can't apply for a certificate earlier than that date in which case you have to rely church registers.

Offline LizzyDow

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 17 September 07 17:05 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much. I have downloaded the forms and will send them in asap! You all have been great! Thanks so very much! This has been so fun for me!
Have a great day, Liz

Offline Mr J T Arthur

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 17 September 07 17:42 BST (UK) »
You are fortunate that Patrick was born after 1864 when civil registration commenced and that his birth was registered. There were probably other siblings born before 1864; was Rose and John you mention older than Patrick? For the Francis Ward of Greaghnaroog in 1861 to be your direct ancestor he would normally have had to be married by then as a single man would rarely be head of the household during that period. The marriage and any pre 1864 baptisms should be found in St Joseph's, Carrickmacross church registers assuming they were catholics.

Best wishes,
J.T.A.