Author Topic: help!! ritchies driving me mad!  (Read 1306 times)

Offline leanneb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
help!! ritchies driving me mad!
« on: Saturday 15 September 07 20:13 BST (UK) »
Hi all, been a while since i posted but am in need of some help!  Im trying to find out information on Ann Smith Ritchie, i know that she married Arthur Arbuurthnot Bell date unknown  in Brechin.  I also know that she died 14th Jan 1985 age 77 as i have found and visited her grave.  Im interested in finding out who her parents were, i have been told that her mother died young and that her father was either a coal merchant or involved with glassworks? who knows my source isnt that reliable!
I also know she had brothers and sisters, one of which was Agnus Ritchie, again birth not know so any help with any information regarding this family would be a help.  Id like to the send away for the birth marriage certificates etc....but need something to go on.   I live in Hampshire so am unable to do my research in Scotland (oh wouldnt that be nice!).
Thanks in advance

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: help!! ritchies driving me mad!
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 16 September 07 10:13 BST (UK) »
hi

there is an arthur arbuthnott bell born in brechin 1904 on
scotlands people
ann smith ritchie c1908 - SP only goes up to 1906
marriages only go up to 1931 so they were probably married after
this date
you could have ordered the marriage certificate online from the
arbroath registery office but you need to know the date of the
marriage although they will search 1 year either side(cost £25.00)

arbroath register office
67/71 high street
arbroath
angus
scotland
dd11 1an

if they had children that you know of you might be able to narrow down
the year of marriage

or if you know where she died(14/01/1985) you should be able to obtain
her death cert.
it will cost but it might be the only way to find out

hope this helps

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: help!! ritchies driving me mad!
« Reply #2 on: Monday 17 September 07 20:25 BST (UK) »
As you have a date of death (and assuming it's in Scotland) you can get a copy of the certificate for less than £25. See  http://www.gro-scotland.gov.uk/famrec/index.html for how to order a death certificate - it will cost you £13.

A cheaper method would be to get someone who visits New Register House to find and transcribe the details for you. There are links from the GROS site to lists of researchers.

The death certificate will tell you the names of her parents, and you  can then  use that to find their marriage certificate on www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk and then work back from that.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.