Author Topic: Death in Gravesend  (Read 2998 times)

Offline mordecai

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Death in Gravesend
« on: Saturday 15 September 07 22:53 BST (UK) »
 Hi I am new to Roots web although I have been doing geneolagy for 8 years now. I have one relative who has caused me a lot of searching and trouble. She was born c 1834 in Milton,Kent -one Sarah Dartnell/Dartnail to Thomas Fisher Dartnell and Elizabeth Ann Hands. She was christened at Chalk Church, with the mother a widow in 1841 and 1851 Census, married Samuel Coffee in 1851 at Chalk Church and with him in census 1861 and 1871. Samuel dies and she remarries W H Draper in 1880 and I cannot find any sign of them in the 1881 Census, she would have still had young children with her. I have  searched the area where other families lived street by street but no luck . In 1891 she shows up in Northfleet now as Sarah Draper  with 3 of her sons. In 1901 she is living with just one son in Northfleet now as Sarah Coffee. Her given census age never jives with her birth date but hey shes a woman!  Then I cannot find any record of her death either as Dartnell/Coffee/Draper. Any one got any suggestions? I would like to hear from you. She was my GGGrandmother
Winstanley.Axon.Domakin.Booth.Hulme.Knowles.Battye.Moss.Duxbury- Lancs, Cheshire,Derbyshire.

Ham- Somerset; Popplestone-Devon;Coffee,Denney,Dartnell-Kent: Mason -Gloucs,Robson -London

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Death in Gravesend
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 16 September 07 07:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Mordecai

Welcome to Rootschat

Freebmd isn't complete but there is a death showing in the Strood registration district (covers Northfleet at that time) for a Sarah DRAPER December quarter 1917 age 84 ref. 2a 811 ???

http://freebmd.rootsweb.com

Have you found William Henry DRAPER in 1881 or do you have any information from another source ie. census/marriage to give some further information about him?

What are the names of her children and when/where were they born?

Casalguidi :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 16 September 07 16:20 BST (UK) »
The IGI has the following christenings of children of Samuel Coffee and Sarah:

26 Sept 1852 Sarah - in Chalk
8 Mar 1857 Hannah - in Chalk
31 JAn 1869 MAry Jane - in Milton

Big age gaps - you mention sons, so I guess they could be in between

Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 16 September 07 16:25 BST (UK) »
But I cant find any of those girls on 1881 census either! Guess they could well have married
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mordecai

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 16 September 07 16:46 BST (UK) »
Relying here to several queries. I do have all their children from a family bible and then checked where possible from : Sarah 1852,James 1854,Hannah 1857,Samuel 1859,John 1861,Henry 1864,Thomas 1866,mary Jane 1868,William Jacob 1872,Arthur 1876.

Her husband Samuel Coffee died in 1876 before Arthur was born, William Jacob also died in 1876, Mary Jane died in 1879,Thomas died but not until 1893. I have the marriage cert for this wedding between Sarah and William Henry. William was a Labourer and his father was a Lime burner so perhaps born somewhere in Derbyshire? They are also in evidence in 1881 when Sarahs son John married , Sarah and WH are the witnesses. many of Sarahs sons went into the navy or merchant
navy but I should still be able to find 5 year old Arthur .

That death of 84  yr old Sarah Draper could be mine I will have to send for that cert. Thanks -for some reason I didn't find that through FreeBMD and was thinking I'd have to look through films.  :)
Winstanley.Axon.Domakin.Booth.Hulme.Knowles.Battye.Moss.Duxbury- Lancs, Cheshire,Derbyshire.

Ham- Somerset; Popplestone-Devon;Coffee,Denney,Dartnell-Kent: Mason -Gloucs,Robson -London

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 16 September 07 17:12 BST (UK) »
Hannah Coffee m. Q4 1874 Rochdale 4a 391 to Alfred Thomas E Horlock.

this is the 1881 census:~

RG11/ 876 66 57

she is living with Alfred, children and her brother John Coffee

Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 16 September 07 17:21 BST (UK) »
could Arthur have become Arthur Draper? i found his birth as Arthur Coffee Q4 1876 North Aylesford
there is an inmate of the same name b. 1876 at St Pancras Workhouse Kings Road, no birthplace given.
Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

Offline mordecai

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 16 September 07 18:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Yes Hannah married Alfred Horlock... I have also found this 5 year old Arthur Draper in the workhouse but cannot figure out why he would be there in St Pancras ? the family seems to have more of a tradition of helping each other out in tough times, this family had a few  ??? There is also a Sarah Draper working as a Dom Ser about the right age so maybe WH Draper took off on her ? These are all the hard to answer questions that we find in our searches, I guess one can only propose these scenarios?

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 17 September 07 09:47 BST (UK) »
workhouses were sometimes the only access to medical care that people could get so mayeb he was poorly.