Author Topic: LYNCH Deaths  (Read 4380 times)

Offline Anne Wilson

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
LYNCH Deaths
« on: Sunday 16 September 07 01:59 BST (UK) »
Hi there
I'm an Aussie whose gggrandparents were born in Armagh, moved to Scotland around the 1830's and then returned to Ireland (presumably back to Armagh) after approx. 1865.
I'm looking for their deaths after this date.....with such little info to go on, can anyone help me?
Hugh LYNCH was born abt 1814 and his wife Agnes/Nancy HENDRIE/HENDRY abt 1816.
Cheers
Annie
Lynch, Dundee; Scotland. Armagh; Ireland
Wallace, Dundee/Arbroath; Scotland
Henry, Armagh;Ireland
Nielson/Nelson; South Australia
Johnston; South Australia
Brown; South Australia
Terrell; Cornwall
Angove; Cornwall
Trengove; Cornwall
Wilson; Cumberland, Durham
Reay; Cumberland
Barwise; Cumberland
Weiler/Wheeler; Luxembourg, South Australia

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: LYNCH Deaths
« Reply #1 on: Friday 11 January 08 21:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi there
I'm an Aussie whose gggrandparents were born in Armagh, moved to Scotland around the 1830's and then returned to Ireland (presumably back to Armagh) after approx. 1865.
I'm looking for their deaths after this date.....with such little info to go on, can anyone help me?
Hugh LYNCH was born abt 1814 and his wife Agnes/Nancy HENDRIE/HENDRY abt 1816.
Cheers
Annie

Hello Annie,

The Hendry surname appeared in only two Co. Armagh parishes in 1864 when Griffiths Valuations took place in the County ... Loughgall and Tartaraghan. Lynch appeared in more of the Parishes but also appeared in the same two counties as Hendry. It might be an idea to check out the graveyards in those Parishes.

Christopher

I

Offline Anne Wilson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 11 January 08 22:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Christopher
Thanks so much for that. Since posting my initial message, I've discovered that Irish BDM indexes are available on microfilm from our local LDS Family History Centre so will be making a few visits to troll through the various years to try and track Hugh and/or Agnes' deaths. Your kind info has given me at least a starting point to narrow down possible areas.
I'm hoping I can find where they died as I'm planning a trip to Scotland & Ireland next year to visit the places where my family originated from....Armagh, Ireland and Dundee, Scotland.  A long way from Australia!
To say I'm a little bit excited about the prospects of actually seeing where they lived is an understatement!!!
Cheers
Annie
Henry, Armagh;Ireland
Brown; South Australia
Terrell; Cornwall
Angove; Cornwall
Trengove; Cornwall
Reay; Cumberland
Barwise; Cumberland

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 11 January 08 22:37 GMT (UK) »
Civil registration of deaths began 1864. Index will list name, age, registration district, volume/page number.
Death certificates give name, date and place of death, age (not birthdate), occupation, informant (birthplace, parents, spouse not listed). Place of burial is not on certificate.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Anne Wilson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 12 January 08 22:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Aghadowey
Thanks for that info....what a pity so little info is given on the DC's. I was hoping at least the parents names would have been given, to enable me to continue with research into their birth details.
I've found 2 possible births for Hugh on Armagh Ancestry but without any further corroborating evidence I am at a loss as to how to prove birth details.
I don't know whether they were married in Ireland or Scotland, but I suspect Ireland as I can't find any record in Scotland (however they were Catholics which is making my research a bit more difficult). They had the first of their children in Dundee abt 1835, so I know they were in Scotland by this time.
Any suggestions??
I need a way to pinpoint their birth parish so when I visit Ireland next year I can research church records. Can anyone let me know what would be the procedure to physically accessing parish records? How do I go about this?
A big thanks in advance for any help.
Cheers
Annie
Henry, Armagh;Ireland
Brown; South Australia
Terrell; Cornwall
Angove; Cornwall
Trengove; Cornwall
Reay; Cumberland
Barwise; Cumberland

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 12 January 08 22:18 GMT (UK) »
For most research in Ireland you need to know the family's religion and where they lived (parish if not townland not just county).
Church records (if they still exist) are in a variety of places. Some have been microfilmed and are at PRONI, LDs have microfilmed some (they can be borrowed for a small fee from your local LDS library) and others are in local custody.
Civil registration of births, deaths and Catholic marriages began in 1864. The 2 records for Hugh Lynch are probably church baptismal records.
Have you been able to find the family on Scottish census records incase a place of birth is given- usually says 'Ireland' but sometimes a more exact place is given.

Offline Anne Wilson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 12 January 08 22:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi again
Yes I've found them in a couple of Scotland census' and it was in the 1861 census that listed them both as having been born in Armagh, Ireland. But this is the only info I've uncovered so far that gives me any leads into their origins.
The 2 baptism records I've found for Hugh list him as a Roman Catholic and the Parish/District as Armargh. In each case, the parents names and 2 witnesses are also listed but not a residential address.
I bought these records online so only have a printed version, not the original hand written. Although they are noted as "Baptism Record", the date listed is for a "Date of Birth". Would this be correct or would it be the date of baptism?
Is it likely that there would be any further info on the original? I have hesitated in buying copies of the originals until I could come up with something more to substantiate these details.
Sorry to bombard you with all these questions but you are the first person who has been able to give me any real insight into Irish record research.
Cheers
Annie
Henry, Armagh;Ireland
Brown; South Australia
Terrell; Cornwall
Angove; Cornwall
Trengove; Cornwall
Reay; Cumberland
Barwise; Cumberland

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 13 January 08 11:53 GMT (UK) »
Some baptismal entries will give one date (date of baptism), other entries list either two dates- birth and baptism or baptismal date and age of child.
However, as you have information extracted from the actual record it's hard to know what is in the original (have seen some print-outs give date of birth and not baptism when both dates are in the actual record).
Have you checked LDS catalogue (www.familysearch.org) to see if the church records for that period have been microfilmed? If so, you can order them from your local LDS library for a small fee to view there. Perhaps other information might be in the records.

Offline NWhite.AU

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 09 May 23 07:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Annie,

These happen to be my great-grandparents too - looks like we may be related and I am also, in Australia. Please feel free to reach out.  :)
**PATERNAL**
WILTSHIRE, UK: Prictor, Bowden, Underwood, Cook, Sainsbury, Hadrill, Seager, Blisset, Gainsford, Amor, Bailey, Pierce, Huggins, Bovey, Noyes, Clampitt
LINCOLNSHIRE, UK: Dillingham, Barber, Faulkner, Ringham, Ward, Johnson, Robinson,
IRELAND, UK: Lynch, Donnelly, Hendry,
DENMARK: Nelson/Neilsen
PRUSSIA: Helbig
AUSTRALIA: Bowden, White, Nelson, Lynch, McNamara, Rowe,