Author Topic: Recording living relatives  (Read 1448 times)

Offline tigces

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Recording living relatives
« on: Sunday 16 September 07 13:22 BST (UK) »
I've heard one of the best things I can do is talk to living relatives - (I see you even have something on roots for that) but I am not sure how to use let alone elderly relatives one who doesn't have the net anyway.

I was thinking about writing a letter and sending a blank cassette, should it be a general Tell me about your life and family or more specific?

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Recording living relatives
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 16 September 07 13:27 BST (UK) »
Hi tigces

The one thing most of my older relatives like is a visit from a younger family member and being asked questions about their life & family. Do you have any grandparents/aunts/uncles that are close enough for you to visit? If not, I would suggest a telephone call followed by a letter, perhaps with some specific requests on parents and locations. I doubt most would be interested in tape recording information (probably won't have a tape machine!).

I have some relatives over 80 years old who correspond by email, so you may be pleasantly surprised on that front as well.

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ricky1

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 16 September 07 13:32 BST (UK) »
Hi tigces

Why dont you go and see them , and talk to them, I certainly wouldnt put a cassette tape in an envelope with a note saying tell me your life story. You will find you may get more info by talking to them and taking notes. I know my elders dont mind talking about their past, and families. Tell them you are trying to trace your family tree, you may be surprised how interested  they might be. The only prob is if you live in different countries, but then there is always the phone.
Other people might do it different, but I have had no probs with my aunts and uncles, who have devulged a lot of family info

good luck with which ever way you go

regards

ricky
Ricky (1954 - 2010)

Harby,Garton,Drury,Duncombe,Booth,Catton,Barker, Kirkby, Wilson. Lincolnshire, <br />Also Murkin's, Jeffery,Pettitt,Carter, from Suffolk/Cambridgeshire boarder<br />Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 16 September 07 13:39 BST (UK) »
If you do write a letter to a relative ask exact questions. Don't write 'tell me everything you know about your family.' Try questions like 'where did you live when you were growing up?', what was your mother's names and when was she born?', etc. Sometimes is easier for the person if there's a page where they can fill in the blanks rather than just answering questions.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 16 September 07 13:47 BST (UK) »
I agree with aghadowey.

Send a letter to your relatives. Ask really specific questions. Provide a section where they can write any little extra snippets/family stories/ gossip etc. Include a SAE so they don't have to bother going to the Post Office.

Some may have bmd certificates which they can send (save you purchasing them!), or perhaps photos - request that they write in pencil on the back who the people are if known. Don't forget to promise to return these after you copy them.

Perhaps you could also provide your phone number and email address in case they, or a younger relative if they are not computer literate, would prefer to contact you that way.

Good luck.

Offline meles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 16 September 07 13:53 BST (UK) »
I visited an elderly aunt the other day and took some photos I had of her family that she'd not seen. She looked at the pictures and chatted away happily  about all of them - then gave me some old photos of hers which I'd never seen before, including one of me at 3 years old!

She was also able to identify several faces in the photos who were a mystery to me.

Take pen and paper!

meles
Brock: Alburgh, Norfolk, and after 1850, London; Tooley: Norfolk<br />Grimmer: Norfolk; Grimson: Norfolk<br />Harrison: London; Pollock<br />Dixon: Hampshire; Collins: Middx<br />Jeary: Norfolk; Davison: Norfolk<br />Rogers: London; Bartlett: London<br />Drew: Kent; Alden: Hants<br />Gamble: Yorkshire; Huntingford: East London

Offline tigces

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 16 September 07 15:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks, yes of course a telephone call would be the best - they're not close (the one without the net is in Australia.) and the one who has a daughter close by whose on the net is in Birmingham I'm in Hull of course the S.A.E goes without saying.

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 16 September 07 15:07 BST (UK) »
Thanks, yes of course a telephone call would be the best - they're not close (the one without the net is in Australia.) and the one who has a daughter close by whose on the net is in Birmingham I'm in Hull of course the S.A.E goes without saying.

Not much point in an SAE to the Australian relative   :)  :) We use different stamps! Thus said, you will be very unlucky if he/she is not thrilled to get a letter from family in England. I recently heard from  a 4th cousin in Canada - thought it was just wonderful.

You are correct in thinking this is the best way to trace generations back; my grandparents had sadly died before I started my research but I received lots of information from my parents and many of my parents cousins. Most of them didn't use the internet & we used telephone and snail mail. Good luck with your research

Trish

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 16 September 07 19:28 BST (UK) »
"Not much point in an SAE to the Australian relative :) :) We use different stamps!"- get International Reply Coupons from your local post office. The person can get stamps at their local post office with them.
If writing also include your e-mail address in case the person or some of their family want to get in touch. Also ask if they can suggest anyone else in the family you can contact- another branch, someone who has family Bible, anyone researching family, someone who has photos, etc.

Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!