Author Topic: Severn Tunnel  (Read 7667 times)

Offline apd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Severn Tunnel
« on: Sunday 19 December 04 00:14 GMT (UK) »

Family legend insists that my great grandfather, David Edward Dinneen, late of 72 Penypeel Rd. Cardiff, died of lung disease apparantly contracted when working in apalling conditions as a foreman on the construction of the Severn Tunnel.

Census Information to date shows he was a bricklayers labourer in 1881 and a dock labourer in 1891 and 1901, as he was on his 1905 death certificate - which showed him dying of what appears to be a burst appendix rather than lung disease.
This information is not consistent with him being a foreman on the severn tunnel construction as family legend would have it. However, Welsh family legend to date has proved to be very accurate indeed, so it would be foolish of me to reject Welsh family legend at this stage despite the census and death certificate entries.

Does anyone know whether employee records for the severn tunnel construction are available and where they may be looked up?

Thanks and regards,
Adrian

Offline kmo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Severn Tunnel
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 19 December 04 10:36 GMT (UK) »
It seems from a Google search on "Severn Tunnel construction" that the Tunnel was completed in the mid 1880's after 14 years work.  I guess like most construction projects, a lot of people may have worked there for a period and then moved onto another job.

Offline Welsh Jen

• Dyfal donc a dyr yr garreg!
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 19 December 04 10:43 GMT (UK) »
I would think such records (if any) are held near to both sides of the tunnel. Have you tried contacting Newport Archives / Reference Library & Perhaps Bristol archives / Reference Library also? They may not hold the records but they may be able to let youl know where they are held:

Newport Central Library
John Frost Square
Newport NP20 1PA
Reference Library (01633) 211376
Email: central.library@newport.gov.uk

Gwent Record Office
County Hall
Cwmbrân
Gwent
NP44 2XH
Telephone: 01633 644886; or 01633 644888
Email: gwent.records@torfaen.gov.uk

Bristol Reference Library
College Green
Bristol
BS1 5TL
Tel: 0117 903 7202
Email: refandinfo@bristol-city.gov.uk
(Please include your name and address for all email enquiries)

You could also contact the local studies librarian
Jane Bradley
Local Studies Librarian
Central Library
College Green
Bristol BS1 5TL
Telephone: 0117 903 7202
e-mail: refandinfo@bristol-city.gov.uk

Bristol Record Office
'B' Bond Warehouse
Smeaton Road
Bristol
BS1 6XN
Tel: 0117-922 4224
Fax: 0117-922 4236
E-mail: bro@bristol-city.gov.uk
Online catalogue: archives.bristol-city.gov.uk

Here are 2 excellent webpages on the Severn Tunnel (but unfortunately no reference to the people employed):
http://www.fls.org.jm/users/worldeng/severn/severn.html

http://mikes.railhistory.railfan.net/r086.html

I think you are correct in not disregarding what family legend states, simply due to the occupations found in census entries. I wish you all the very best in your search
& festive wishes!

Offline apd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 19 December 04 16:26 GMT (UK) »
sei molte gentile

Gracia tante
Adrian

Offline D ap D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stuck with John Jones in Wales? Join the club!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 20 December 04 08:53 GMT (UK) »
The Construction work began in 1873 and the tunnel was completed in 1886. The main Contractor was Thomas Walker for the Client Great Western Railways. The contracting company doesn't exist today, but I don't know whether it went bankrupt or was taken over by another larger firm.

Whereas tradesmen and labourers tended and tend to move about to wherever work is, usually working for a different form on each project, foremen tend to stay with the company, and move around as that company gets work elsewhere.

I've checked the Institution of Civil Engineers web site (www.ice.org.uk) - theres nothing online about the tunnel, but there may well be something in the library - perhaps worth checking up? You could also try the Tunnelling Association. They most likely wouldn't have the info as regarding the contractor, but you never know. However, I would say these two would be best for technical info and the links Jen gave you better for the social historical info.

All the best.

D
Stuck with:
William Williams of Llanllyfni
John Jones in Llanelli
Evan Evans in Caio
David Davies of Llansanffraid
Evans: Caio/Carms
Jones: CDG, DEN

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Nor do I think that any other nation than this of Wales, or any other tongue, whatever may hereafter come to pass, shall on the day of the great reckoning before the Most High Judge, answer for this corner of the earth": The Old Man of Pencader to Henry II

Offline apd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 09 February 05 13:11 GMT (UK) »
Thanks DapD
Sorry I took so long to reply - I have been out of circulation a bit
Adrian

Offline scruth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 22 March 05 21:29 GMT (UK) »
Adrian,

A late addition.

The original definitive work was

T. A. Walker, 'The Severn Tunnel: its construction and difficulties, 1872-1887' (London, Richard Bentley & Son, 1888).

this was reprinted in recent years.  I don't think it gives foremen personnel, but it might.

Another good contact would be Caldicot Local History Society (which covers Portskewett) Secretary:
Mr Peter Strong  - email: Strong@btinternet.com

He might know of a good source of records.

Regards

Simon
Rutherford, Brook, Broughton, Culpitt/Copeland, McNamara,  Smith, Waddell (Bermondsey, Deptford, Limehouse, Poplar) Barnes (Newport, Llandybie), Pope (Newport, South Hams/Devon), Barrett (Newport), Sheppard (Newport, Bristol & Birmingham), Brain (Bristol, Cardiff), Flook (Newport & Bristol), Lewis (Llangorse) Peuss (London 1860)
The Pope family masons/builders, Pill Newport,
Newport Market (Barrett, Sheppard, Flook)
Deptford, Limehouse & Poplar Shipwrights
Mingay & Sandall (Norfolk)

Offline Hemingbrough Historian

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 18 July 06 21:58 BST (UK) »
Hello Adrian
Did you find the employee details you were seeking?

I have been researching this project for my niece.

I believe the Severn Tunnel Walking Gangers [Foremen] engaged by T A Walker went mainly to his Barry Docks project as work on the Severn Tunnel came to an end, then on to his Government Docks project in Buenos Aires.  Walker died during that project and his Gangers dispersed, some went to the Chipping Sodbury Tunnel and then at least one and his crew went to the Hudson River Tunnel in New York. 

Gym Junky
Atkin and Jarvis of Spalding, Lincolnshire; Markham of East Yorkshire