Author Topic: Robert Robson - emigrant to Canada  (Read 3546 times)

Offline Reiver

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Robert Robson - emigrant to Canada
« on: Sunday 16 September 07 18:52 BST (UK) »
Good afternoon all

Robert ROBSON emigrated to Canada between 1855-1875 (I think) from Northumberland.   While there he was in touch with his 'cousin' Thomas WATSON who lived in Parkhill, Ontario.  Thomas was a harness- maker but had emigrated in 1865 at the age of 20. He was born at Colwell and lived with his parents at Fell House until he emigrated.

Thomas WATSON's mother is known to be Sarah ROBSON and she had several brothers who could be Robert's father.  My ROBSONs - ie Sarah's brothers and sisters - are known to have lived close to Stamfordham and Chollerton - Bingfield, Todridge etc.

From the Canadian side, Robert ROBSON is known to have had at least two children Sarah (who married a Dr. Pearson in 1887) and William.  William is known to have had a son Carol.  Carol was married when his photograph was taken in Milford, Michigan in 1960.  I THINK Carol may have been born in 1907 (via IGI)

Does anyone have a Robert ROBSON who went over to Canada from Northumberland about the right sort of time?
Does anyone have the three generations of North American ROBSON's in their tree?   That is Robert and William and Carol (who was alive and about 50 in 1960).
Does a marriage between a Sarh ROBSON and C. B PEARSON in 1887 nean anything?  Canada?  Michigan?

I am checking for possibilities using the English census returns but am not as familiar with  Canadian / US options.

Can anybody help in anyway please?

Reiver

Offline sharmor

• RootsChat Extra
  • Many records held at home for Tyne Valley area
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Robson - emigrant to Canada
« Reply #1 on: Monday 17 September 07 14:24 BST (UK) »
My 2x  great grandfather John ROBSON was born Bingfield , parish of St. John Lee. in 1847 he was one of twins, his twin was Sahar ROBSON. FATHER William ROBSON and Ann PIGG. Married St. John Lee 17th. Oct 1845 .

John moved to stamfordham  and surrounding villages after marriage. and never moved  more than 20 miles from Bingfield. he's buried in Corbridge civil cem.  not sure about border reivers though. as there were that many ROBSONS, (thousands)  in Northumberland alone. and they wern't all reivers. records are very sparse.when it comes to naming which Robson grains were the true reivers. a very difficult thing to get proof of. most of my family have lived in this area for 400 years without moving. I myself live live in the area
Forster, Hall, Yielder ,Robson, Corbridge and st John lee/ parishes.  also researching Harmison/Harmieson. have lots of info on above

Offline Reiver

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 17 September 07 16:21 BST (UK) »
Hello Sharmor

Thanks for your reply.    This is nothing to do with Reivers tho' I have commented elsewhere on Rootschat about them.

William, he who married Ann Pigg,  had a number of brothers and sisters - but you may  know this.  One was Jane. Jane is/was my my 2 great Grandmother.  Thomas WATSON was one of Jane's sons.

I have quite a bit on this ROBSON family.   In fact I thought that one of Wiilliam or his brothers (Robert. John. Lionel or Thomas) may have been the father of the emigrant Robson

I'll be in touch.

Best wishes
Reiver

Offline Helen K

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 18 September 07 18:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Sharmor and Reiver

Not sure if we've been in touch before.  My Gr Gr Grandfather was John ROBSON baptised 1823 St John Lee , brother of William ROBSON baptised 1820.  Do either of you have confirmation that their father William married Sarah DUNN as this is as far as I've got with this family?

John ROBSON married Barbara MARSHALL 27 April 1847 at Chollerton and there were 9 children that I know of.

Reiver - They did have a son Robert, born 1851, but he can be followed through all the British Census and therefore wasn't your emigrant.

Sharmor - could you confirm the marriage year for William ROBSON and Ann PIGG please?  I have a transcript dated 17 Oct 1846.

You may have these baptisms for two children to William and Ann before their marriage.

PIGG Eliza Robson 30 Jan 1842, d Ann, spr, Bingfield.
PIGG William 3 March 1844, s Ann, spr, Bingfield, E Qtr.

Sharmor - I also have the HARMIESON surname in my family - I'll get back to you about that. (A search confirms we were in touch earlier this year!).

Regards

Helen K   
Census transcriptions are Crown Copyright of the National Archives

Offline sharmor

• RootsChat Extra
  • Many records held at home for Tyne Valley area
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 18 September 07 19:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Helen, the parish registers for St. John Lee give the date as 17th. Oct. 1846, and for some reason I put it down as 1845 on my tree.didnt know about the two before the marriage of William and Ann,
 Ann Pigg was the dau. Of John Pigg (shoemaker) of Haydon Bridge, he married Ann Wray 18th. Nov 1815. Ann PIGG  was Baptised  Haydon Bridge 1817 , she had Siblings Baptised Haydon Bridge  as follows.
Elizabeth 1821, Henry 1821 (Diff  dates) so I dont have the info of the actual birth dates
Joseph 1823, Hannah 1825

John   Robson Born 1847  at Bingfield east quarter ,son of William Robson and Ann Pigg was my mothers Grandfather, He is buried Corbridge civil  cem , so my mother told me, but no headstone
 John married a Mary? from the parish of Lanchester. they has a dau, Jane Ann ROBSON born Shotley bridge, County Durham
in 1871. the next Dua. Elizabeth (My grandmother )was born at Stamfordham 1875and John moved around that area ,for quite a time, working from farm to farm. some where I have 2 photos of my  2 sets of Great grand parents on my materenal side, but dont know which is my Robsons or which are my Wilkinsons,
 .Dont know about the Sarah   (DUNN)  have not looked for the marriage as yet
Forster, Hall, Yielder ,Robson, Corbridge and st John lee/ parishes.  also researching Harmison/Harmieson. have lots of info on above

Offline Reiver

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 18 September 07 20:25 BST (UK) »
Hello Helen and Sharmor
Helen
Your John was William's (= Ann Pigg) slightly younger brother.
Both
Their parents were William ROBSON and Sarah ROBSON (yes, that's right  :) ) married at Stanfordham in 1808 when they both lived at Moor Houses, East Matfen (?).  Their second daughter Jane is my gg grandmother. She married William WATSON at Chollerton.

William and Sarah had nine childen all together (oldest first); Mary or Ann, Jane, Sarah, Robert, William, John, Lionel Riddell. Thomas and Ann  .

More to add but I can PM you if you like.

Regards
Neil

Offline Helen K

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 19 September 07 17:41 BST (UK) »
Hi sharmor

Thanks for the info.  Let me know if you want details of John ROBSON and Barbara MARSHALL and their family.

Hi Neil

A ROBSON marrying a ROBSON - great stuff!  And another Lionel Riddell - I love it!

Got the PM thanks.

Regards

Helen K
Census transcriptions are Crown Copyright of the National Archives

Offline newkiephil

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 02 November 07 11:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I wondered if this part of my research fitted with your Robson family

John Robson  m. Jane Holiday    think this is wrong, supposition on my part
#of Colwell North Farm
he is buried at Chollerton  d. June 1880 (69) and
Jane interred at Halton d. at Lipwood 12 Sept 1865 (50)

children included Mary Jane, Ann, Mary Ann d.age14, John

There are a lot of Robsons, and I have photo's of several, all about 1890 as they were witnesses at weddings

Hope I can help / we find common info

regards. Phil

Offline Reiver

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 02 November 07 12:08 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Phil.
Welcome to Rootchat.
I'll check the ones you posted and see if they belong somewhere in the bits and bobs I have.

Hope I'll be able to help.

Best wishes
Reiver