Author Topic: Robert Robson - emigrant to Canada  (Read 3545 times)

Offline Reiver

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Robson - emigrant to Canada
« Reply #9 on: Friday 02 November 07 13:04 GMT (UK) »
Hello Phil
Using the info you posted I've been trying to find your John and Janet in the earlier  censuses but haven't been able to.  I see that they were born c1811 and c1815 respectively.   You mention Colwell North Farm.  My Watson family were at Colwell Fell House in 1841 and 1851 though by 1861 he lstill lived at Colwell Well House but only as an Ag Lab.

Have you found John or Janet at all in the census returns?  Their place of birth would ptove useful.  Do you know when they were married?

Regards
Reiver   

Offline newkiephil

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 03 November 07 13:31 GMT (UK) »
In short no I haven't yet.

I concentrated on Taylor & Gibson from my fathers parental line, and the Robson's were very much witnesses and on the side of my tree, so left them to one side

There are lots of bits of info, which need joining up, and Chollerton is the centre of it all.

for example 1789, Thomas ( gt gt gt gt grandfather ) leased the Corn Mill at Swinburne with one William Robson

Thomas Taylor m. Mary Robson of Chollerton (bap 1 Oct 1758) ( parents Thomas & Mary Robson ) by licence at Chollerton 14 May 1777  witnessed by Wm Robson ( who I take as William )

and one of Thomas's daughters married a William Robson  m. Jane Taylor  12 June 1813 at Chollerton and his father was a Wiiliam, but not sure which one is the partner in the Corn Mill.

Thomas's father, Cuthbert,  and John Taylor let Colwell North Moor from Thomas Riddell of Swinburne Castle in 1754

all of which led me to John Robson  m. Jane of Colwell North Farm as he was buried at Chollerton  d. June 1880 (69) and Jane interred at Halton d. at Lipwood 12 Sept 1865 (50)

I was searching Lipwood ( as I have a will for Ann Holiday of Lipwood 1801 ) leaving her chattels to her grandaughter Ann Robson.

given census is much later, it didn't seem to give me any quick wins, so I focussed on the other elements of the tree.

Given the sheer number of Robsons - there might be no connection, but the Colwell North, seems terribly coincidental - and the family was likely to have retained it through the generations.

Might help if I could send you a pdf of the tree -

regards
newkiephil

Offline newkiephil

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 03 November 07 15:12 GMT (UK) »
sorry this is in bits, but I double checked my other papers and I had found some census info which confused me, because of dates so I put it aside, think this must be family though

there was a John - a farmer born Allendale - at Middle Lipwood in 1861 census
his birth date would have matched c.1811

but in 1861 moved to Sipton Shield, Jane, listed as born Haltwhistle, but we know she died at Lipwood in 1865 ( headstone )

Children all born Allendale, Jane, Thomas, William, Mary and John, and again from headstone, Margaret Ann dying age 14 at Sipton Sheild .

Offline sharmor

• RootsChat Extra
  • Many records held at home for Tyne Valley area
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 03 November 07 18:00 GMT (UK) »
In case you may be wondering as to the wherabouts of Lipwood. Its a farm about 1 mile west Of Haydon Bridge and on the north side of the A69. PARISH OF HAYDON
Forster, Hall, Yielder ,Robson, Corbridge and st John lee/ parishes.  also researching Harmison/Harmieson. have lots of info on above

Offline Reiver

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 03 November 07 19:23 GMT (UK) »
Hello Phil
Some information on your TAYLORS but not your Robsons.

This is from the Colwell Census in 1841

At Swinburn Mill  HO 107 836 13   Folio 6 Page 5
Cutherbert (sic) Taylor  60  Miller
Isabella  Taylor  55
John Taylor  20
Isabella Taylor 20
All born in Northumberland
Servants but no Taylors / Robsons

Also in Colwell (the village) HO 107 838 13   Folio 10 Page 14
Thomas Taylor  25  Miller
Mary Taylor  25
Thomas Taylor 5