Author Topic: Photo - help needed to identify this regiment  (Read 3981 times)

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Photo - help needed to identify this regiment
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 03 August 10 07:41 BST (UK) »
A number of men are wearing the Imperial Service badge, so I would go for 1912.

Ken

Offline eyman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 09 August 10 22:43 BST (UK) »
Aha - I thought this photo was familiar! It is of the Essex Yeomanry's detachment at the 1911 Coronation. It originally appeared in The Essex Yeomanry by J W Burrows (in his Essex Units in the War series) and is reprinted in The Yeomanry Force at the 1911 Coronation by R J Smith and R G Harris (Picton Publishing, 1988).

Mea culpa for describing the man at the centre, sporting the QSA & 5 clasps and KSA & 2 clasps, as an officer. He is 2742 RSM Walter Robert HADLER, 8th Hussars who served on the permanent staff of the Essex Imperial Yeomanry from December 1905, being promoted A/RSM in March 1911 . Hidden by his sword hilt is his Long Service and Good Conduct Medal that he was awarded in 1908. He was discharged in October 1914 to a commission as QM with the Essex Yeomanry and was later promoted to Captain.

(An aside: his son, born 1895, same name joined A Squadron the day after his 16th birthday and a few days after his father became A/RSM. Promoted Cpl Orderly Room Clerk in May 1912 (aged 17!), he joined the 17th Lancers in November 1913.)

So we can date the picture to 22 June 1911 or perhaps the day before.

Ian

Offline gatewaywa

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 23 September 17 11:21 BST (UK) »
Hi there,
We are new here.

I understand this post was some time ago.

We found your site while researching an antique French slate mantle clock with two Marly horse garnitures. This is in our possession.

The reason why your site came up is because the presentation plaque on the front of the clock had SQMS W. R. Hadler, which matches the name in your forum.

I tried to attach a couple of images so you can read the inscription. But they are too large. Would you like me to transcribe it so that it is searchable on your site? It mentions the 8th Kings Royal Irish Hussars and his transfer to permanent staff of the Imperial Yoemanry after 15 years. Also a member of the sgts mess 30-11-05

Hope this helps someone to clarify their ancestor's history.

Regards
Roy