Author Topic: WWI visitor to cousins  (Read 3359 times)

Offline elbe

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
WWI visitor to cousins
« on: Monday 17 September 07 10:17 BST (UK) »
In late September 1918 [Australian] Lance Corporal Alexander Thursday BAIN was granted leave from fighting. He went to visit his 'Scottish cousins'. His maternal grandfather's family came from the Haddington/ Prestonpans
areas. His grandfather, Alexander Whitecross (b. 1836) m. Jane McFarlan in June 1862 at Luss.
I don't know if the 'Scottish cousins' were this line, the McFarlan line or his paternal cousins.
Here's my question: would there have been any reporting eg in a local newspaper of such a visit at the time? Or perhaps stories handed down of the visit? A long shot, I know; but your thoughts on the matter would be appreciated.

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: WWI visitor to cousins
« Reply #1 on: Monday 17 September 07 12:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Elbe,

I am not sure if that would be reported in Haddingtonshire Courier as it was known then, As it was end of war, I am sure there would have been lots of people looking up relatives from all parts. It is now known as East Lothian Courier, is online, you can google and it will advise about archives.

I found the marriage of Alexander Whitecross to Jane McFarlan at Luss, on banks of Loch Lomond, that is quite a wee bit away from East Lothian. Have we any certificates to prove they are your relatives. I can see an Alexander Whitecross in East Lothian but I think he died after 1891 census. May need a bit more info before we can progress.

TOm
Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.

Offline elbe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: WWI visitor to cousins
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 18 September 07 04:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks for replying Tom - I really do appreciate these boards and the helpfulness of everyone.
There are two interesting points about Alexander and Jane: how did they meet - as you said they lived a fair distance from each other; and secondly, which ship did they migrate on. After many years I've almost given up the search on the second point - even knowing a timeframe (marriage at Luss to birth of first child in South Brisbane 9+ months later).
As to documentation, yes I've tracked them through BDM, electoral rolls and directories; and the Whitecross line has been well researched through OPR by one of the American 'cousins'. [It's not possible to track census records here: Australian government policy since Federation means they are burnt.]
Anyway, my 2x greatgrandfather Alexander Whitecross and wife Jane are buried in Nambour, a small place north of Brisbane, Queensland. Their dau. Isabella is buried with her first husband and brother-in-law in South Brisbane (elegant grave). I have the service record of my grandfather (AT Bain), and so know when he went to the UK; and family lore says he visited his Scottish cousins.
Yes I'm keen to document rather than accept hearesay - so my next step will be Jane's baptismal details. Would have been nice though to find something on the WWI visit. Thanks for your advice on the Courier - I'll search next week.