Author Topic: Age and regiment please  (Read 1068 times)

Offline jan117

• This user has chosen not to receive notifications of new replies
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Age and regiment please
« on: Monday 17 September 07 13:13 BST (UK) »
Can anyone date this photo please, also any idea on the regiment?
cap badge scanned at 600dpi inset.
Sorry photo not very good,this is the best I can get it.
Many Thanks
Jan

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
Re: Age and regiment please
« Reply #1 on: Monday 17 September 07 14:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Jan,

This picture shows a first world war soldier who was with a mounted regiment. He has a bondalier a cross his breast, holds a long crop and is wearing spurs. Unfortunately the badge is not that clear enough for me to say with any certainty which regiment that he did belong to but if you repost this on the armed forces board I am sure that Scrimnet or one of the others can help with identifying the cap badge.

old rowley
Claxton- East London & Essex<br />Cuthbert- Mile End East London <br />Edwards - East London & Essex<br />Goll- Norfolk<br />Harris-Mile End East London<br />Hurr - Suffolk<br />Law- Bethnal Green East London<br />Moll- East London<br />Robinson- Bethnal Green East London<br />Tait- Argyll & Glasgow<br />Thompson Shoreditch East london<br />Watson- Glasgow<br />Wood- Bethnal Green East London<br /><br />Local history interest; Noak Hill & Harold Hill Essex<br /><br />census information crown cop

Offline jan117

• This user has chosen not to receive notifications of new replies
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 17 September 07 14:37 BST (UK) »
Thank You Old Rowley, I didn't spot the spurs. I will post it the armed forces board.
Again many thanks
Jan

Offline t.hawksley

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 18 September 07 00:42 BST (UK) »
Looks a little like a Staffordshire Knot to me. Can't see The Spurs. Old Rowley?.

Looks like the great war to me and lots of horses were used then. Bondalier's were used in lot's of Photographs at that time. Conjecture? made a good Photo? If Prue or others See This photograph they may be able to Help?

Good Luck in your Quest.
                               Kind Regards,
                                                   Thelma.

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 18 September 07 07:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Thelma,

The wide piece of leather that sits over the lace area of the top of the boot at the front can be seen here (I know that there will be a particular name for it but it escapes me at present) This would make it easier for the spur leather to be buckled.

old rowley
Claxton- East London & Essex<br />Cuthbert- Mile End East London <br />Edwards - East London & Essex<br />Goll- Norfolk<br />Harris-Mile End East London<br />Hurr - Suffolk<br />Law- Bethnal Green East London<br />Moll- East London<br />Robinson- Bethnal Green East London<br />Tait- Argyll & Glasgow<br />Thompson Shoreditch East london<br />Watson- Glasgow<br />Wood- Bethnal Green East London<br /><br />Local history interest; Noak Hill & Harold Hill Essex<br /><br />census information crown cop

Offline t.hawksley

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 22 September 07 00:10 BST (UK) »
Sorry Old rowley.

Still can't SEE it? must be getting Old Myself. ( Ha. Ha. )

Regards Thelma.