Author Topic: CORNHILL in New South Wales  (Read 8610 times)

Offline wdurham

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: CORNHILL in New South Wales
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 04 October 12 05:41 BST (UK) »
Hi, Celle -

Yes, we are related, but the link is a long, long way back. Our shared ancestor is William Cornhill, b 1797 in Oare in Kent.

He joined the army - the 7th Foot - at the age of 20 and served in Corfu and Malta in the Mediterranean for much of his career.

William married a girl named Martha from Wokingham in the early 1820s, and they had two sons - Joseph and William Jnr, born 1825 and 1826 in Wokingham.

William was discharged from the army while serving in Ireland in 1839 "worn out from his service" (according to his discharge papers!). He and Martha and their two sons returned to Faversham in Kent, where he died the following year of kidney failure. 

The brothers Joseph and William both became bakers by trade - Joseph settling in Whitstable, and William in the Faversham area.  I descend from William, via his eldest son, another William b 1848 - and you descend from Joseph, via his eldest son Joseph James also b 1848.

Agnes Golder was in fact Agnes Elizabeth Cornhill, b and registered in Eastry District in the quarter ending March 1881, born to Joseph James Cornhill and Hannah nee Darby.  The 1881 Census lists her after her one-year old brother, John T, as age 2, but that should be aged 2 months.  At that time they were living at 4 Chapel Street in Deal, where Joseph James was an unemployed baker.  Birthplaces of some of the older children, including John T, indicate that the family had just returned to Kent following a period in London. 

Subsequent Censuses show her as Agnes Golder after her mother Hannah moved in with Lewis Golder and took his name for herself and her Cornhill children.  When Agnes married Daniel Mildred in Woolwich q.e. Dec 1905, she married as Agnes Golder.

As for Joseph James, most of what I know is already posted above or on the other thread linked to this one.  He and his brother Wallace disappear from the UK after the 1881 census, and it seems pretty conclusive that the Joseph James Cornhill, Baker, who married Ada Rope in Mudgee in 1891 was our man.

Of Ada's children it is likely that at least the last boy, Ernest, b 1887, was a son of Joseph James. When he died in 1927,  his parents were named as James J and Ada.  His mother Ada is shown on his military records as next of kin, initially as Ada Rope of Mudgee, changed later to Ada Mary Cornhill of Gulgong. The father's name of James J on the death certificate could be coincidence, but given that Joseph James's father was also Joseph, it's quite possible that he was known as James in everyday life. (I myself am known by my second name, as I share my mother's first name.)

So you may have Australian relations much closer than me - if you can track the descendants of Ernest Edward Rope, b 1887 in Mudgee, died in 1927 in Walgett. If Ernest is the son of Joseph James - and I am pretty sure he was - then he was half-brother to Agnes.

Good luck with them!

If you'd like more info on Agnes's Cornhill side I have them back to about 1763 before running into a brick wall.
Willson & Pell in Faversham, Egerton, Folkestone in Kent
Cornhill in Kent, Devon and Wokingham, Berks
Cadmans & Kings in Isleham, Cambs
Swan, Gregory, Smith & Mingay in the Burrough Green/Westley area of Cambs
Armstrong & Chandler in Bedford
Abbott/Abbit in Witham, Essex
Davies/Davis in Islington & Hackney

Offline celle

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 04 October 12 07:18 BST (UK) »
Goodness, you must have been up early.  I wasn't expecting a reply so soon!!  Thank you so much for the information and any further information you have going back as far as you can would be most welcome.  My mother was most reluctant to pass on any information re her ancestry as she felt her family had not achieved very much but, at the same time, I don't think she knew a lot.  My brother thinks that our grandmother, Agnes Mildred, severed her ties with her family when she went to India with her husband, Daniel Mildred.  Anyway, there were skeletons in the cupboard which were not talked about.  I believe Agnes was brought up as Agnes Golder & I think there was some shame that her father, Joseph Cornhill, deserted the family and that her mother was never married to Lewis Golder.

As I said before, having a great grandfather come out to Australia a century before my brother and I (we came out separately but both in the sixties) was absolutely amazing for us.  I will definitely follow the line down in Australia.

Offline wdurham

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 04 October 12 10:50 BST (UK) »
I was up rather early!  Insomnia rules these days....

I'll sort out the Cornhill stuff I have and let you have a file. They are a mysterious family in the first place - because at about the same time, a Cornhill male turned up from no known abode in both Kent (William) AND Devon (Henry), got married to a local girl and founded large families in or near coastal ports.  The Kent people were in and around Oare, Faversham, Whitstable - the Devon family were in Brixham, though they "coasted" east to Portsea, north to Wales and all the way up to Grimsby.

But we have no idea where these two particular men originated - there is a big Cornhill family in Marden in Kent, and a few in Littlebourne, but no links to our William and Henry.  Nor have we ever discovered a definite link between the Devon and Kent branches - there are a couple of circumstantial links, based around the two girls born to Martha Cornhill in Wokingham, whom she left behind when she went to Kent with her husband.  Both girls seem to have made contact with members of the Devon branch who moved eastwards to Portsea.

But one day I guess we'll be able to find out...
Willson & Pell in Faversham, Egerton, Folkestone in Kent
Cornhill in Kent, Devon and Wokingham, Berks
Cadmans & Kings in Isleham, Cambs
Swan, Gregory, Smith & Mingay in the Burrough Green/Westley area of Cambs
Armstrong & Chandler in Bedford
Abbott/Abbit in Witham, Essex
Davies/Davis in Islington & Hackney

Offline celle

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 04 October 12 11:19 BST (UK) »
Once again, thank you so much.  I will look forward to hearing further from you.