Author Topic: Ann Vernon/Neville: Please find!  (Read 3636 times)

Offline vaison

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ann Vernon/Neville: Please find!
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 19 September 07 17:40 BST (UK) »
One more thought - in the 1891 census, Percy (grandson) is aged 5. Ella is aged 20, so unlikely that he's her child. Could Walter have been married before?
Also 1901 census has a Walter Neville of the right age. He is a visitor in the household of John Alcock in Knighton, Radnorshire, Wales. His occupation is 'Occasional Evangelical Preacher'. Only problem is, it says he's single.
Ellison/Rogers/Pilkington/Wood(s)Moss/Mawdsley/Keegin (Keegan,Keagan,Keegen)
Orange/Morrisroe/Webster/Hoole/Shaw/Hague/Herbert
Hurt/Turner/Dean

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 20 September 07 10:23 BST (UK) »
One more thought - in the 1891 census, Percy (grandson) is aged 5. Ella is aged 20, so unlikely that he's her child. Could Walter have been married before?

Percy the grandson is a Shaw, not a Neville, so unlikely to be the son of Walter.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from The National Archives <br />Lunt (Wavertree/West Derby), Forshaw (West Derby), Richardson (Knowsley), Kent (Cheshire), <br />Cain (Hertfordshire, London), Larkins (Bedfordshire, London), Nunn (London), Lenton, Hillyard (Bedfordshire), <br />Parle, Lambert, Furlong, Wafer (Wexford)<br />Special separate interest in Longford (Blackrock, Dublin)

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 20 September 07 10:27 BST (UK) »
Could the Berrys in the 1841 census hve been relatives. As she is only 7, presumably her parents were unable to care for her.

It's very possible.  I transcribed the entry as it was written though with a / after the main family and before the entry for Ann.  The usual interpretation for this was that those listed after the / were of a different household living in the same dwelling.  Of course in this case there was no household other than Ann so she must have been "looked after" in some capacity by the Berrys, possibly as what was often called a nursechild.  It will take some searching of Parish Registers to try and ascertain the parents of Ann and search sideways to see whether there might have been a connection to them.

Possibly her parents died early.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from The National Archives <br />Lunt (Wavertree/West Derby), Forshaw (West Derby), Richardson (Knowsley), Kent (Cheshire), <br />Cain (Hertfordshire, London), Larkins (Bedfordshire, London), Nunn (London), Lenton, Hillyard (Bedfordshire), <br />Parle, Lambert, Furlong, Wafer (Wexford)<br />Special separate interest in Longford (Blackrock, Dublin)

Offline vaison

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 20 September 07 11:41 BST (UK) »
Thanks Mary A.,
I didn't know about the 'nursechild', so you have told me something new. I will now try and find the Vernons in the sheffield parish rgisters - unfortunately, I don't know which parish.

Ellison/Rogers/Pilkington/Wood(s)Moss/Mawdsley/Keegin (Keegan,Keagan,Keegen)
Orange/Morrisroe/Webster/Hoole/Shaw/Hague/Herbert
Hurt/Turner/Dean

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 20 September 07 11:49 BST (UK) »
Also 1901 census has a Walter Neville of the right age. He is a visitor in the household of John Alcock in Knighton, Radnorshire, Wales. His occupation is 'Occasional Evangelical Preacher'. Only problem is, it says he's single.

I suppose Walter could have said that he was single if he was widowed, or somebody else in the household may have given the information to the enumerator and it was assumed to be his status.  The entry does seem to fit in all other ways doesn't it, even down to the middle initial J?  The actual occupation states "Evangelist", overwritten with what looks like "Preach".

I tried to identify Ella and their marriage and her possible death.

I would suspect that this might be the marriage

Q1 1891 Sheffield 9c 539 Walter Jabez Neville and one of the female names is Ellen Rebecca Laurence, who I am unable to verify with a birthplace of LIncolnshire in earlier censuses, although there is one in Leeds born about 1869, parents John and Ann, which might be her.

If you have any information to confirm that your Walter's middle name was Jabez I would think this marriage certificate would be worth getting, you can do that with the reference details I gave you at www.gro.gov.uk - cost £7.

Thanks Mary A.,
I didn't know about the 'nursechild', so you have told me something new. I will now try and find the Vernons in the sheffield parish rgisters - unfortunately, I don't know which parish.

That's a difficult one, I suspect somewhere in Sheffield since she is fairly consistent giving her birthplace details in the censuses.  Maybe ask some advice on the Yorkshire Board where you will have people read and help who will know the area better. 

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 20 September 07 12:08 BST (UK) »
The marriage for Robert Berry and Elizabeth Tailor 28 May 1835   Walkeringham, Nottingham is on the IGI, which so far doesn't give any clues as to Ann's parents.  It could be that her mother was a sister to Elizabeth Tailor and it won't be easy to prove.

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 20 September 07 12:18 BST (UK) »
Oh!! this looks interesting

Christening for Anne Berry Vernon 03 August 1834   Walkeringham, Nottingham
Parents - John Vernon and Sarah.

and  interesting .........
Christenings for
Robert Vernon 29 June 1823  Walkeringham, Nottingham
Joshua Vernon 06 October 1828   Walkeringham, Nottingham
Jabez Vernon 13 February 1831  Walkeringham, Nottingham
Henry Vernon About 17 July 1836  Walkeringham, Nottingham

All with parents John Vernon and Sarah.

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 20 September 07 12:21 BST (UK) »
And here we have the link -

Marriage for John Vernon to Sarah Berry  24 March 1823  Walkeringham, Nottingham

All of these entries are on the IGI so I would suggest that you try to order the films for the church and check the entries, but as they are all "extracted" entries they are hopefully more reliable that any "user submitted" entries.

Offline MaryA

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • St Chads, Kirkby
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 20 September 07 12:35 BST (UK) »
Well maybe your Ann was just visiting relatives then

1841 Greens Square, Charles Lane, Sheffield, Yorkshire
John Vernon 35 Labourer No
Sarah 35 No
John 14 No
Jabez 10 No
Henry 4 Yes
Sarah 1 Yes
Ann 65 No
HO107; Piece 1337;  Folio: 36; Page: 23

I would think it too much of a coincidence not to be the same family, and could that be a grandmother with them? 

1851 Hall Carr Street, Brightside Bierlow, Yorkshire
Sarah Vernon Head M 46 Ag Labourer's Wife Notts Walkeringham
John Son Un 24 Steel Melter                           " "
Jabez Son U 20 Ag Labourer                           " "
Henry son 15 Errand Boy Yorkshire Sheffield
Sarah daur 11 Scholar " "
Emily daur 6 " " "
HO107; Piece: 2342; Folio: 337; Page: 53

Could this really be Ann's family? it's mystifying how she seems to have cut herself off from them from an early age and I would have doubted very much that she belonged, if not for the christening entry.