Author Topic: Can anyone explain this  (Read 2865 times)

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone explain this
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 20 September 07 17:47 BST (UK) »
Not sure if it is relevant - but on FreeBDM the marriage is March 1866 - Elizabeth GARGON and William WILKINSON - no mention of REDINGTON  ???

Trish

It's Cheshire BMD that has the alternatives- Gorgon and Redington for ELizabeth and William Wilkinson : STR/16/190

So.. is Elizabeth Reddington the niece of Elizabeth Eagan/ Gahagan/ Reddington? (and not Cormick Eagan- that seems a safe bet at the moment).
And Erin do you think that the older Elizabeth is the sister or sister in law to John Reddington father of young Elizabeth? 
The IGI batch number you gave has some Reddingtons on too but not ELizabeth.

As I said earlier it might be good to have that certificate of Wilkinson/Reddington to check useful details.

best wishes
heywood

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mahees

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 20 September 07 18:26 BST (UK) »
Hi heywood,

I think it's quite likely that Elizabeth is John's sister, which is the kind of connection I hoped to make between the two families.

I have used birth records from this batch before, notably with my Callaghans, and their mother's maiden name was Reddington, as is the case for Patrick Grahagan and Elizabeth Reddington.

I ideally want to avoid purchasing a certificate for this, as it's not my direct line, and I allow myself one certificate a month (a quota already filled for September  ;D ) but I don't think there's any other way to say for 100% certain it's her. I am pretty convinced though, because, like you said, there's no other Elizabeth Grahagan/Grogan, especially not with links to the Reddingtons.

It looks like Elizabeth didn't have much luck, as there's no sign of either of them in 1881, so I guess her third (I assume!) marriage didn't last too long either.  :-\

Thanks for your help on the matter, if anything else comes to mind, do let me know, but I think for now I can consider this case officially cracked!  ;D

Regards
Erin  :)

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 20 September 07 19:43 BST (UK) »
you can't get rid that easy  ;D

1881 RG11; Piece: 3471; Folio: 10; Page: 15

5 Builders Court Heaton Norris

Elizabeth Gargon head widow 56 yrs hawker b Ireland
George Rigby lodger 48 yrs miller b Macclesfield
Agnes Rigby daur 10 yrs b Rochdale
Elizabeth Rigby daur 7 yrs b Rochdale

As we can't yet find a marriage to Cormick - perhaps she was just co-habiting with him. When I was searching around, there was a possibility of him in another marriage and that wife was still alive in 1871 with children - if it was indeed him.

And... this next bit could be a bit brilliant but as ever there's a catch ;D

1891 RG12; Piece: 2793; Folio 153; Page 14

12 Hamilton Street Heaton Norris

Elizabeth Gargan 69 yrs wardrobe dealer b Ireland Roscommon
Mary ??? daughter 49 yrs ditto 's assistant b
Martha Raut lodger 20 yrs domestic ?? b Cheshire Budsworth

This is the catch - Mary is transcribed as Gargan , 29 yrs

It looks like 'Smith' and perhaps 49 yrs to me.
BUT - we have Roscommon!

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 20 September 07 19:54 BST (UK) »
Oh I do hope that this is the right one I'm following!

1901 RG13; Piece: 3286; Folio: 137; Page: 14

10 Basil Street Heaton Norris 

Elizabeth Gargan head widow 74 yrs wardrobe dealer b County Roscommon
Mary Gargan daur 39 yrs single wardrobe dealer b Lancs Manchester

I have rechecked 1891 and Mary is married - I would appreciate a second opinion please re that entry.

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 21 September 07 06:54 BST (UK) »
Not sure if it is relevant - but on FreeBDM the marriage is March 1866 - Elizabeth GARGON and William WILKINSON - no mention of REDINGTON  ???

Trish

It's Cheshire BMD that has the alternatives- Gorgon and Redington for ELizabeth and William Wilkinson : STR/16/190

I simply found it interesting that FreeBDM (i.e. the GRO index) did not have the alternate name - Obviously only one name was forwarded to GRO.

Good luck with it all Erin

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mahees

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 21 September 07 11:16 BST (UK) »
Wow  :o heywood,

you're doing such an amazing job on this one!

I have looked at the censuses you point out, and I think you're right about this Elizabeth being the same person, although as she's still Gorgan, it throws my Wilkinson theory out of the window, unless she reverted to have the same name as her kids.

The Roscommon reference matches what I already know about the Reddingtons too, so that's positive.

As for Mary, I agree with you about the transcription, I can't for certain say the name is Smith, but it's certainly not the same as Elizabeth's. I don't think the age is 29 either; I wonder if the transcriber looked at the 1901 census which has much clearer handwriting, and used the surname and age (-10) from that.
I don't have a daughter named Mary for her, but I do have a Maria born abt 1848, and I haven't accounted for her in these censuses.

If the transcribed age is correct, she would have been born abt 1862, and I suppose could have been in a boarding school or stopping at someone else's house on the night of the 1871 census. I'll have a look for her and get back to you.

Thanks again for all your help

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 21 September 07 16:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Erin,
just to say that there is a Bridget born Manchester around 1860-62 in one of the censuses - I think it's the one with Cormick on it- 1871?

Also Trish I wasn't at all sure about why an alternative name is given. Cheshire gives several reasons including remarriage, alias; parent with different name etc.

It is interesting that in the John Reddington/ Catherine Doyle marriage, Cheshire has her as Doyle and also Grier.
Family search has her as Catherine Greham Reddington.  I had an Irish 'uncle' (in the days when neighbours were all aunty and uncle) - he was called Graham but I was told that it was really Grehan/ Greham.

We are up against accents/ spellings/ literacy etc here but doing o.k. now I hope.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 21 September 07 16:25 BST (UK) »
I am sorry that I may now be straying into irrelevancy but following my previous post, I thought I would just check-

Cheshire BMD marriage 1843
Catherine Griar to Luke Doyle.

(Catherine is the mother of the young Elizabeth Reddington).

and there's a death for Luke Doyle 1847.

Offline mahees

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 21 September 07 17:02 BST (UK) »
Well spotted, heywood.

This explains why Mary Ann was recorded as Doyle in 1861; she must have actually been the daughter of Luke Doyle rather than John Reddington. I must make an amendment in my records. The Greham ref on IGI must really be Grier.

I wonder if any other of her children were actually Luke Doyle's. She's the only one I can find recorded as Doyle.

I have found one of the Gahagan children, Margaret, marrying Michael Craig and moving to Runcorn, but that's about all I've managed to get so far.

Again thanks for all your help