Author Topic: Fletts of Harray  (Read 3571 times)

Offline Jason46

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Fletts of Harray
« on: Thursday 20 September 07 11:29 BST (UK) »
Hi My mother is a Flett, and her grandfather John Flett (b 17/8/1825) came to Australia in the 1850's as a ship's carpenter, then returned to Harray, married Jane Smith of East Garth on 25/5/1854 and sailed off again. She followed in 1861 on the Black Swan and they settled in Williamstown Victoria. Twenty years ago I did a lot of research and am now getting interested again. I purchased a lot of sasines and had a lot of help from Orcadian people but it was all down by snail mail. My Fletts are connected to Robert of Bea and his mill in Harray, through four of his 7 sons (lots of cousins marrying) and, according to St Claire of the Isles, go all the way back to Thorkel Flayer, who was burnt alive in 1136 by Earl Paul's enemies (Read about it in the Orkneyinga saga, pp 216-254) In the 3 generations back from John and Jane, we are also related to Isbisters, Johnsons and Borwicks, and Flett names that keep popping up are Furso, Curcabreck, Nisthouse, Garth and East Garth
I am writing to find anybody who may be related so that we can share information. I am currently working in Saudi Arabia and hoping to visit the Orkneys in the very near future
Regards
John Flett Carpenter
Carpenter - Devon and Australia
Flett - Orkneys
Morrell - Antrim, France, Switzerland and Ballarat
Wilcher - Bermondsey and Birmingham
Roberts - Liverpool
Price - Monmouthshire
Smith - Orkneys
Barnsley - Cumberland
Discombe - Devon
Brewer - Devon
Torrington - Devon

Offline alastairgm

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Fletts of Harray
« Reply #1 on: Monday 24 September 07 21:19 BST (UK) »
Hi John,
Had a look up my tree to see if I had any Fletts from Harray there. Found one, my gx3 grandmother Margaret Flett, who according to the IGI married James Sinclair, Master Mason of Firth, in Firth on 2nd. January 1817.
That she did marry James Sinclair is correct. However the IGI entry is a submitted entry and I have been completely unable to find anything about her in the OPR. In the 1851 and 1861 Censuses she gives her place of birth as Harray and her Death Certificate (she died 19th. May, 1868 in Firth) has her parents as George Flett, Farmer, and Margaret Flett M/S Sinclair. Working from her ages in the two Censuses and on her Death Certificate she must have been born in 1794/5 but, as I say, there is no Margaret Flett on the OPR who fits this date.
If you have anything about her from your earlier research I should be glad to hear it, but I'm afraid I can offer no information in return other than what I have said above.
Regards, Alastair
Moray - (In Rafford) MacDonald, Laing, Younie.
Orkney - (In Evie.) Robertson, Sinclair, Laird.
Herefordshire - Fox, Graty.
Gloucestershire - Price, Spackman, Bourne, Tugman,   Burroughs, Brassington.
Cheshire - Fox, Orrett.

Offline Jason46

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 25 September 07 07:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Alistair
I have some Margaret Fletts on my line, and the dates are fine, but none who were fathered by a George Flett. I would try to find brothers or sisters who have the same parents, and then pursue a male relative the parish registers go from 1645 - 1854 and can be accessed on FHL British Film 990501, items one and two. I hope this helps. If i find a connection, I will get back in touch
Jason
Carpenter - Devon and Australia
Flett - Orkneys
Morrell - Antrim, France, Switzerland and Ballarat
Wilcher - Bermondsey and Birmingham
Roberts - Liverpool
Price - Monmouthshire
Smith - Orkneys
Barnsley - Cumberland
Discombe - Devon
Brewer - Devon
Torrington - Devon

Offline alastairgm

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 27 September 07 11:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Jason,
On the OPR; George Flett of Harray married Margret(sic) Sinclair of Firth in Harray on 25th December 1792. These are the parents of "my" Margaret Flett. No sign of any brothers or sisters for her, though. I'll keep looking.
Regards, Alastair
Moray - (In Rafford) MacDonald, Laing, Younie.
Orkney - (In Evie.) Robertson, Sinclair, Laird.
Herefordshire - Fox, Graty.
Gloucestershire - Price, Spackman, Bourne, Tugman,   Burroughs, Brassington.
Cheshire - Fox, Orrett.