Author Topic: Abandoned Shanks children from Whithorn  (Read 22517 times)

Offline andrew shanks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Abandoned Shanks children from Whithorn
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 22 September 07 18:28 BST (UK) »
Have checked on the SP website and Georgina Galloway was unmarried in the census record.  I thought that I had found her christening in the IGI in 1831, the daughter of Alexander Galloway and Rachel Dawson.  However, that couple do not appear to have had a child named Janet........................the mystery continues.

The other question that arises is how does Janet's husband, Andrew Muir, connect to the Archibald Muir that appears in the 1881 census along with Agnes and Elizabeth Shanks?  Perhaps they were brothers but again I have not found a link.

All suggestions welcome!

:)
Ireland: Arlour, Arlow, Hammond, Hannah, Shanks, Templeton

Scotland: Allan, Black, Carlyle, Corkingdale, Fleeting, Grant, Hammond, Hannah, Kirkwood, Lothian, McFarlane, Main, Neilson, Shanks, Sneddon, Stirling, Wood

Sussex/Hampshire/Surrey/London/Kent: Beagley, Champion, Clark, Douch, Earl, Jones, King, Ladyman, Ley, Pattenden, Peskett, Pink, Readings, Standen, Stonestreet, Windiate

Offline fud

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 10 November 10 23:51 GMT (UK) »
I can give information on the Muir children if you still want it because Jane Muir was my great grandmother; who we used to visit when I was little. Ialso know a bit about the children. My grandfather Andrew Shanks was adopted by his uncle who was a Muir and spent his adult life in Sorbie.

Sheila   

Offline andrew shanks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 11 November 10 18:35 GMT (UK) »
Hello Sheila,

Thank you for your reply.  I am assuming that you are Vera's daughter, in which case we are 3rd cousins 1 times removed.  I would be very interested in any information that you can provide especially any old family photographs that you may have.

I will send you a private message with my e-mail details.

Scotland: Allan, Black, Carlyle, Corkingdale, Fleeting, Grant, Hammond, Hannah, Kirkwood, Lothian, McFarlane, Main, Neilson, Shanks, Sneddon, Stirling, Wood

Sussex/Hampshire/Surrey/London/Kent: Beagley, Champion, Clark, Douch, Earl, Jones, King, Ladyman, Ley, Pattenden, Peskett, Pink, Readings, Standen, Stonestreet, Windiate

Offline fud

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 12 November 10 00:56 GMT (UK) »
Hello, glad to hear from you so promptly.

Yes, Vera Shanks was my mother. I used to visit my grandmother Nancy Shanks  and my G  Grandmother every year, I knew that my G Grandfather Shanks had run off to Australia and got married while he had a wife living, he died an alcoholic. He lived on the Ingham River. We have a lot or relatives in Australia as a result of two of his brothers also going to Qld, presumably not as 'widowers'. So anyone with the name of Shanks could be a relative of yours as well as ours.

A lot of the previous correspondance you received seems to be confused have you got it sorted out yet? I know where all the Shanks children went bar Archibald.  Doyou need any more help sorting the family connections. Where do you fit in?

I'll look out some photos and when I have your email details can send them to you. My son is currently here from Adelaide in South Australia and we are wondering if  Coonwarra refers to Coona warra.

Kind regards, Sheila

Offline andrew shanks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 13 November 10 09:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sheila,

Two of John's brothers ended up in Queensland but interestingly an unrelated Shanks family emigrated from Whitburn, West Lothian at about the same time and also went to Gympie.

I have the various connections sorted out but we are not permitted to post details of living individuals or contact details on Rootschat, so I have sent you a personal message via Rootschat with my e-mail address and connection to the family.

I think you have to make 3 postings on Rootschat before you can use the personal message facility, so I am not sure whether you can access the message? If there are any problems please let me know.

Regards

ps - your son is obviously a fellow wine lover - well spotted!!!

Offline hamboneZA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 05 September 12 11:55 BST (UK) »
Dear Coonwarra
My mom ,(*), is the daughter of Olive  Agnes Scott Dalglish b 30/12/1906. d 1956.She married Herbert John Cambell Williams and had 2 daughters my mom and (*).Daughter of William Dalglish. She asked me to tell you that as far as she knows Archibald Muir Dalglish married Margaret MCCartney-"Peggy.' He was born in Glasgow  b 1899 according to the family bible.Which is with the eldest of his two sons: Lionel and Kenneth. Archi and his second wife -Jean Fotheringham died going over the Swartber Pass in the Cape. She can't remember but can find out who Lionel married (Also an Olive) He lives in Knysna S.A.but she knows that Ken married Norma Lowe.Ken had a second wife -Margaret, with two children here Margarret and Peter. Then a 3rd wife at present.James was born in Scotland and had redhair.
He had two daughters Joan and Barbara. Eric Fergus B 1905 d 1966  married Mary Elizabeth Thomas.Olive and Eric were born on the Glendeep Goldmine in Germiston South Africa.
Would love to make contact.
Regards
Springbok

Moderator Comment: See post below.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 05 September 12 21:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Springbrook

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

I have edited out details of your mother and her sister as you can see. Rootschat have guidelines which exclude details of living people being posted, to protect people's privacy and identity.

Once you have posted three times here on the main boards, you can access the Private Message service (PMs) to contact other members. A good way to exchange personal info, including personal emails. To contact a member this way, see here www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk