Author Topic: Buckinghamshire WOOLHOUSE Family  (Read 7942 times)

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
Re: Buckinghamshire WOOLHOUSE Family
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 24 January 10 10:56 GMT (UK) »
I don't know any more about John Gray (1788).  However his parents Jonathan and Sarah (nee Godman) had another son John baptised on 6 Nov 1803 at the same time as two of his brothers.  (sorry I missed him from my original list) They were probably born after their sister Anne who was baptised in 1798.  It thus seems likely that the first John had died before this date.  The second John seems to have married a Rebecca around 1824 as the first baptism that I have for their children is 1825.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Debster1

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 25 January 10 08:55 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the info David.  More research required...
Debbie

Offline Skull

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 19 February 10 06:33 GMT (UK) »
I also have the Woolhouse family of Eton in my tree, although at a quick glance I can find no direct connection with those families listed here.

I did initially have Mary Woolhouse in my tree, but it was actually Maria Woolhouse (1811-1856) that I should have been looking at.

She married John Buckland of Langley in 1833. I believe her parents were William Woolhouse (1779) and Sarah Stephenson. They had a son William (1834) who died aged 8, and a daughter Ann Sophia (1836).

Ann Sophia married William Chissus (1828) and moved to Michigan, USA.

I guess there is a connection somewhere here.

Skull

Offline Skull

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 19 February 10 18:55 GMT (UK) »
On the subject of the GRAY family name, have you come across this extract from the Windsor and Eton Express of 23rd July 1842:

Mr.Gray, of Messrs. Reid and Co.'s Bank, attended to claim a fancy dog which was in the possession of the police, and which belonged to him. He said it had been stolen by some person on Saturday morning, while his door was open, and his servant cleaning at the door. The police found it on Wednesday in the possession of Frederick Hand, who claimed it as his own. Hand must have known it was his (Mr.Gray's) dog, for he had once before seen it following Mrs.Gray, and then wished to claim it. The mother of the dog, exactly like it, was now in court, belonging to the son of Mr.Clode, of the New Inn, and both dogs being produced on the table, a mutual recognition of each other took place.

Mr.Gillman, the superintendent of police, said he saw Hand with the dog on Wednesday, and took it from him. Hand said it was his own, and he (Mr.Gillman) told him to attend before the magistrates to state his claim, but he had not made his appearance.

The magistrates said Hand deserved some punishment.

Mr.Gray said he could not prove who stole the dog.

Mr.Long (the magistrates clerk) said he was liable to a fine for having possession of a dog that was not his own.

Mr.Gray was then sworn, and having deposed that the dog was his, it was ordered to be at once delivered up to him.

Any connection?

Skull

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 04 March 10 13:37 GMT (UK) »
Without a christian name for Mr Gray I cannot be sure but most of the Grays for whom I have details around that time were in the army or ag labs.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline harlu

• I am sorry but my email box is suspended
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 06 February 13 08:12 GMT (UK) »
The Buckinghamshire Woolhouses are in our family tree. Our line is from Richard and Avice's son Richard.
Woolhouse (England),  Kuchel (Langmeil, Prussia) Arthur (Cornwall)