Author Topic: Dunstable - elementary education 1913  (Read 2548 times)

Offline sjj0907

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dunstable - elementary education 1913
« on: Friday 21 September 07 14:37 BST (UK) »
I have a copy of my Nan's sisters birth certificate (b.1900) and on the back is written "Application by letter from H W Felch, VO, RO,  12 Edward Street, Dunstable" its dated 27th February 1913.   Underneath it reads "The Certificate is required for the following purpose, namely:- for admission in an orphanage in which elementary education is given".    She was the oldest of the children in the family and at the age of 13 it would appear she went to this institution.  I have no idea what the VO and RO stand for, would anybody have any clues for me?  My Nan's father died around this time at the young age of 42, this could be why the eldest child had to leave and live elsewhere ?

Offline cathymcc

• I am sorry but my emails are not working.
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Sam & Hilda Worker
    • View Profile
Re: Dunstable - elementary education 1913
« Reply #1 on: Friday 21 September 07 21:19 BST (UK) »
I think RO is ''Receiving Officer''? but am not too sure about that  :(

If he [or even, she] was some sort of ''official'' I was hoping they would be listed in the trade directories but can see no FELCH in Bedfordshire
[google ''Historical Directories'']

I dont know where else to look as there is no FELCH in Bedfordshire on line records [search for ''Blars adlib'']

cathy
Bedfordshire: Worker [Flitton]; Ames [Kempston]; Manton [Kempston]; Morris [?]; Valentine [Kempston]; Two & Osborn [Cranfield]

Herfordshire and West London: Brown [Kent in early 19th C]; Blackwell.
McCarthy [Clonakilty, County Cork - searching for needles in the haystack!] and LOSTY [Dublin]