Author Topic: Rathkeale - Palatine families  (Read 4138 times)

Offline Annie46

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Rathkeale - Palatine families
« on: Saturday 22 September 07 07:57 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have information on the Palatine families who emigrated to the Southwell Estate in the late 18th century. Especially interested in the family of Johann Brough who was a vine dresser

Anne

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Rathkeale - Palatine families
« Reply #1 on: Monday 24 March 08 18:11 GMT (UK) »
Hello Anne,

There is an Irish Palatine Association that might be able to assist. I'm not certain whether you have to join the Association before they put you in touch with experts on Palatine families but there's no harm in asking ... 

www.anirelandattraction.com/a_print/print_entries_frames.php?&e=455SYT&a=0

A great many Palatine families left Ireland but Sir Thomas Southwell managed to persuade some of his tenants to stay and within a few years more Palatine families settled on his lands www.teskey.org/palhist.html

Christopher

Offline VivienHick

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 August 08 16:25 BST (UK) »
Annie,
I've only just seen your post of 2007. The last record that I have found for Brough/Braugh is from the 1720 list of Palatines on the Southwell Estate. He is also listed as Hans Felten Brough. There is over twenty years of a gap before the extant parish records in Rathkeale begin and the family does not turn up there or in any of the extant records for the Palatine areas in Counties Limerick and Kerry. Do you have family connections?
Vivien Hick

Offline Ronan Mahon

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 16 October 09 21:32 BST (UK) »
Hi All,
Im in the process of tracing the Bakers down in Rathkeale who are a Palatine family.There is a Palatine association down there and they have just had a 300 years festival.

Offline Annie46

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 11 March 10 00:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Vivien

Yes my mother was a Brough and her great grandfather Thomas Brough was bon in Dublin in 1824, joined the army in 1842 and was sent out to the colonies as part of the convict guard in 1846. He settled in NZ after his time was up with his wife and children