Author Topic: Marriage abroad  (Read 758 times)

Offline SandraC

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Isabella Annie with Brenda
    • View Profile
Marriage abroad
« on: Saturday 22 September 07 18:04 BST (UK) »
Hi All

Having a dim moment here!

If a couple gets married abroad - all legal & above board, mind - there is presumably a record somewhere in the UK to acknowledge this, or is there?

Please switch on the light for me  ;D

SandraC
Researching Clark, Holt, Threlfall, Platt, Walker, Bowers, Culshaw in Manchester, Salford, Ormskirk & Southport.
Also, Craggs, Hamer, Sampson, Hesketh, McNamara, Hodson.

All Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage abroad
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 22 September 07 19:08 BST (UK) »
i]Can I register my overseas marriage in England and Wales?[/i]
See http://www.rootschat.com/links/01y5/
There are also various GRO categories such as  Army MarriagesMarriages Abroad, They are held on fiche as an annexe to the GRO fiche of BMD.

There are also the Consular & High Commission Returns at the PRO. These relate to births, marriages and deaths of British citizens abroad registered by British Consuls from 1 July 1849, and births, marriages and deaths of British citizens in most Commonwealth countries registered by British High Commissions.

Stan
[
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline SandraC

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Isabella Annie with Brenda
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 22 September 07 20:51 BST (UK) »
I was thinking of the more modern idea - beach on the other side of the world, sort of thing.

So will they be registered with the Consul / Embassy too, say in the last 5 - 10 years?

regards
SandraC
Researching Clark, Holt, Threlfall, Platt, Walker, Bowers, Culshaw in Manchester, Salford, Ormskirk & Southport.
Also, Craggs, Hamer, Sampson, Hesketh, McNamara, Hodson.

All Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

indiapaleale

« Reply #3 on: Saturday 22 September 07 21:23 BST (UK) »
No.....as far as I know.

My children.......both British citizens.....have married in the USA......one in Las Vegas.....(a great party!) and the other in California........there is no record in the UK.......and I can't imagine why there woild be.

If a citizen of the USA gets married in England it would not be registered in the USA.

You will need to look at the records of the country of the marriage.

Cheers
Indi

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 22 September 07 22:08 BST (UK) »
I was thinking of the more modern idea - beach on the other side of the world, sort of thing.

So will they be registered with the Consul / Embassy too, say in the last 5 - 10 years?

regards
SandraC

The present position is given at http://www.rootschat.com/links/01y5/ 
No, overseas marriages may not be recorded at a register office. However, you may apply to have your overseas marriage documents, with translations if necessary, sent from the country where you were married and deposited with the General Register Office providing the conditions below are met:
Stan

Offline Pels.

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 22 September 07 22:15 BST (UK) »

This is a very good question Sandra - we've just returned from staying in a hotel that specializes in the sort of marriages that I think you are referring to - I never imagined the British marriages wouldn't be registered in this country!

The same light needed switching on here too!  ::)

;D ;D ;D

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 22 September 07 22:42 BST (UK) »
I was married in U.S. and live in Northern Ireland. Marriage is registered in the town and state where we got married. When coming back to U.K. to live we had to submit a certified copy of marriage certificate to British Consulate in New York City. The U.S. Consulate in Belfast also had to see marriage certificate when children's births were registered there but I don't think it appears on any British overseas register.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!