Author Topic: Tucknott/Tucknutt/Tugnut/Tugnott. Help I'm lost  (Read 7722 times)

Offline Stovepipe

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Daddy Stovepipe
    • View Profile
Re: Tucknott/Tucknutt/Tugnut/Tugnott. Help I'm lost
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 30 October 07 16:37 GMT (UK) »
FWIW, there's quite a few Tucknet / Tugnet entries in the registers of some of the Worthing / Broadwater parishes, and very helpfully transcribed and online at this site:

http://www.barriesgenealogy.co.uk/html/broadwater_worthing.html

Stovepipe
Census information is Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mothermicheal

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 04 November 07 16:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Everyone

Well have I been busy. :o
My thanks to everyone for their help and advise, and pointing me in the right direction.

Just to let you all know I have been in contact with Paul Tucknott and Dawn Tucknott.
Also found more rellies on the Jackman and Fowler family, and have made lots more contacts. ;D

Mike I have tried the site and have traced 3 Tugnutt's---Albert 1894, Fredrick 1894 and Alfred 1899. :)

RoyG Thanks for all your hard work, will try and track it down. :)

Stovepipe Thankyou I spent hours on Saturday going through all the entries, like you said lots of Tucknet/Tugnutt/Tucknott's, also came across a lot of other names of interest.
My eyes were aching by the time I finished.
Do you know of any other sites like this? 8)

My warmest thanks to you all
Linda

Sussex,  Luck, Fowler, Nye.
Essex,  Turner,
Sussex, Tugnutt/Tucknott
Canada Tugnutt/Tucknott
Sussex  Mercer
Wiltshire  Jackman

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 28 September 22 03:34 BST (UK) »
I realise this is a very old post, 15 yrs almost to the day!

Below is info. I fell upon while doing research on the surname M(a)cPhee (in my own tree) which may/may not be relevant but I'm posting for other/future researchers too as there's a Sussex connection.

Frances Alice Tucknott who later married Alexander M McPhee...

This is available to download free if signed in, (free to join) & is a government site.

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C10798110

Frances Alice was born 1883 in Cuckfield (Sussex)

Birth index...

TUCKNOTT, FRANCES  ALICE     - (this would normally include mms)*
GRO Reference: 1883  M Quarter in CUCKFIELD UNION  Volume 02B  Page 185

*No maiden surname for the mother of Frances (-) which indicates illegitimacy.

Marriage index (FreeBMD) with a variant & possibly a typo...

Marriages Dec 1918

McPhee Alexander N    Tuckrett    Steyning    2b   707   
Tucknott Frances A    McPhee    Steyning    2b   707

I decided to follow through with Alexander M McPhee to see where it took me as I'm nosey  ;D

I wondered if Alexander was born in Scotland & if so where, hoping he was from the area I'm researching as the forename is quite common & in my list of names associated in my research although I haven't found what his middle name is but with possibly 40% or more of the surnames I'm looking at/researching, they all begin with M(a)c i.e. a middle name being M(a)c wouldn't surprise me although surnames as middle names weren't too common unless usually denoting illegitimacy i.e. a surname as a middle name was usually a pointer to the surname of the 'reputed' father.
I was hoping his middle name was something simple but there's not that many forenames in the area I'm looking at beginning with 'M'.

However, long story short...

I didn't find Alexander but I found a chap of the same name (of interest to myself)...

Alexander M MacPhee b 1884 in Manitoba, Canada...

I decided to have a 'nosey'...low & behold...I have a DNA link (5th - 8th cousin) with the tree owner!!! :o 8)

The moral of the story is...

It pays to help others as you may be rewarded for your efforts!!!

I'd therefore like to thank you mothermicheal for posting your query all those years ago!!!  ;)

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 28 September 22 15:40 BST (UK) »
Didn't realise when I read this topic how old it was and was merrily searching away!!

Anyway, just in case others come across this at a later date, to clarify the children of John and Ada:

In 1911 family transcribed as 'Wye' and children are:

Frederick b.1902 - don't know if a child of John but born illegitimately in Jun.1902 as Tucknott
Ada Emily b.1910     (born pre marriage later that year and
John Francis b.1910        registered as Tugnutt - were twins but John Francis died 1911)
William Henry Charles b. Jun.1911 Cuckfield
Charles Jack b.Jun.1913 Cuckfield 
Cecil b.Jun.1915 Cuckfield  (another set of twins -
Albert b.Jun.1915 Cuckfield   Albert died 1915)

Just to confuse things there was another Nye/Tugnutt union - a George Nye married a Jane Tugnutt in Sept.qtr.1911 Cuckfield.  Four other Nye mmn Tugnutt births 1912-1915 were children of George and Jane per baptisms.  Haven't checked but one, or both, could be related to John and Ada.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk