Author Topic: Deserted Settlements of Glassary Parish  (Read 82340 times)

Offline Jim Fisher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Deserted Settlements of Glassary Parish
« Reply #54 on: Thursday 07 November 19 13:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I am looking to find the meaning of a word ( I suspect it is a place name or farm name in Kilmichael Glassary.
Transcript of OPR Births

09/01/1785

"John McCallum Aehadaherlic & Catherine McCallum had a child named John"

The word I am looking for is "Aehadaherlic" possibly "ashadaherlic" or "arhadaherlic"

Any ideas?

Thank You

Ramona

John McCallum might be a ancestor of mine. John Campbell and Sarah McCallum are my third great grandparents. Sarah’s death is mentioned in Begg’s book.

Offline CDoersch

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Deserted Settlements of Glassary Parish
« Reply #55 on: Wednesday 18 May 22 20:02 BST (UK) »
Good to hear from you. I will be as brief as possible with my Currie information!
Parents of John Curry were ?Curry and Catherine MacDougall(Morar).
They had 3 sons:
 Peter(Gallanach), m Catherine Curry.
Ronald (Lochgair) m Sarah Clark.
John(Balliemore Aird). b 1770 m Mary McAlpine (Uila)
                                                            ###
John and Mary had ?6 children
Isabel  (b1793.Uila)
Margaret (b 1795 Uila -d1860 Middlesex Ont. m Niel Galbraith, had son Niel Galbraith)
Donald (b1799 Uila-d ?1867. Dunwich later Saugheen Bruce Co Ont m   Euphemia McCallum. ?14 children.)
Jean (b1802)
Elizabeth (b1807-d1894?Dunwich Ont.m Benjamin Gunn.)
Niel (b1809-d? Glassary  m Isabella McEwan. Lived at Carrick. Had Mary, John,Archibald,Ronald,(my g.grandfather),Isabella, Catherine.)
                                                        ####
It appeas that Margaret,Donald and Elizabeth emigrated to Dunwich Ont and I beleive their elderly parents John and Mary did too.
My family line comes from Niel (m Isabella mcEwan).His son Ronald was my g.grandfather born at Carrick.
                                                        ####

The place names mentioned are now deserted settlements.
Uila (Uillian) an ancient community situated behind Bridgend in present day Kilmichael-Glassary.
Gallanach around where Lochgair village is today Carrick is near Port Ann, and I believe Balliemore Aird to be near Castleon Estate Lochgilphead, although I think there were two Balliemores.
I do not have any evidence of occupations, but safe to say most would have been involved with agriculture and or fishing.
I am currently researching where this branch of the Curries  came from originally. The spelling of the name is  "Curry" up until Niel had his family then became "Currie".

I was unaware that I had  forebears who emigrated to Canada, so am looking forward to learning  a bit more.I figure that Donalds children  and my g.grandfather Ronald would have been cousins..am I right??.....Ila

Dear Amber / Ila Currie -

My partner, Sean McCollum, is a direct descendant of John and Mary (MacAlpine) Currie's son Donald Currie. Can I contact you about your records of the family prior to emigration to Canada? I have extensive information on Curries from the time of their emigration (1819). Cheers. Charles Doersch