Author Topic: MCKENZIE - Sarah born c1880  (Read 795 times)

Offline Toni

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
MCKENZIE - Sarah born c1880
« on: Monday 24 September 07 20:53 BST (UK) »
Seeking further info and/or descendants of Sarah MCKENZIE, daughter of James MCKENZIE born c1849 and Mary MCLUSKY (aka MCCLUSKY) born c1852.  A son Robert was born c1877, although I've not found his birth details yet, nor have actually sought Sarah's.

James, a blacksmith journeyman and Mary, a cotton factory threader, were wed on 25th May 1877.  Witnesses to the marriage were:  Margaret and Hugh GORMAN or DORMAN.  We do not know if there was a relationship between the witnesses and/or to James and Mary.

As per mar. registry:
James was the son of Robert MCKENZIE a tailor journeyman and Elizabeth MCKENZIE (also her m/s?).   

Mary was the daughter of John MCLUSKY and Sarah STEVENSON (deceased)**

Mary MCLUSKY died 21st January 1881 at age 29.  ** mother stated to be Janet STEVENSON (deceased).  Father John MCLUSKY;  husband James MCKENZIE. 

My great-gran's (Mary's sister) parents on her 1875 marriage are listed as John MCLUSKY and Jane STEVENSON - both living. 

The only death of a STEVENSON with a MCLUSKY spouse _ in all of Scotland _ between 1855 and 1881 was a Janet STEVENSON married to John MCLUSKY.  This was checked and verified 3 times by a staff member at the GROS in Edinburgh when I obtained a copy of the death from the registry book.  My great-gran named her eldest daughter Janet Stevenson WHYATT (father was John WHYATT b. Stockport Cheshire).  A widowed John MCLUSKY is residing with the WHYATT family at 193 Castle St. on the 1881 census, just a few streets over from where Janet STEVENSON died - at 7 Kennedy St. 

Child Robert MCKENZIE age 10 was brought to Canada by his maternal aunt Margaret MCCLUSKY and her husband John WHYATT in July 1887, along with their living children Joseph, Janet (both born Glasgow), James (b. Derbyshire) and Nancy (b. Stockport). 

We believe James MCKENZIE re-married to Mary HUGHES born c1855.  She is in his household in 1881.  Then in the 1891 James has wife Mary, daughter Sarah, plus two other children.  Assuming this is the same family. 

Sarah may have grown up not knowing she had a brother Robert in Canada nor that Mary HUGHES was not her true mother.

Hopefully these family details will ring a bell with someone.

Toni ~ nee WYATT ('h' dropped in Canada)
Ontario
Reidford: All
SCOTLAND: Brown Clark Bain Elvin McClusky/McLusky Stevenson Wylie Jamieson Christie Donaldson Ritchie
CHES/LANCS: Whyatt Hadfield Smith Travis Barlow
NORFOLK:  Balls Stone
HUNTS: Phillips
NRYKS: Metcalfe Harrison Winn
SHROPS: Metcalfe [Richardson]
SOMERSET: Richardson
GLOUCS: Richardson Jenkins
LINCS: Yarwood
SURREY: Payne
SUSSEX: Heater Yarwood Kennelly Rowland Antram    Martin Lanstead
DEVON: Clark Mill Adams Tremeer Brook Newcombe Jewell Baker Dart Witheridge Lyell