Author Topic: Guildford family of Dumfriesshire? (Guilford, Gilford, Gifford)  (Read 8660 times)

Offline Candolim_Imp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Guildford family of Dumfriesshire? (Guilford, Gilford, Gifford)
« Reply #36 on: Friday 28 September 07 10:22 BST (UK) »
I have wondered if Samuel was economical with the truth in other areas, too.... with a name like Gallahar, perhaps he was born in Ireland and preferred to be thought of as Scottish (which might explain the name change). The large-scale immigration from Ireland in the 1840s didn't do a great deal for English/Irish relations.

I haven't come across any avoidance of Irish roots in the past, but other Irish people I've researched have been in Liverpool, where there were always a large number of them in a small area, perhaps resulting in less persecution (certainly the black population of Liverpool were readily accepted as part of the community). Could it be that Samuel said he was Scottish and changed his name once he came into Cumberland because he wanted to shake his Irish origin and avoid discrimination?

Unfortunately, I will have to re-register with Scotland's People, as I forget my login details... but I can't register at the moment because my mail service is down until this afternoon for "maintenance"

The 1792 entry looks quite good for Mary.... it's close to her age in 1861 (though not for 1871)... but John and Jean were her firstborns' names... if Samuel was from Ireland, or some distance from his family... it's possible they may have named their first 2 after her parents if they lived closer.
Hodge; Southport, Lancs
Pugh; Salop, Liverpool
Hulm; Bootle, Southport
Guildford; Liverpool
Clausen; Denmark, Liverpool
Yapp/Yopp; Salop
Marshall, Rimmer, Howard, Johnson, Jackson; Southport
Bury; Heref, Herts
Dady; Norfolk, Southport
Colebourne; Liverpool
Small; Barbados, Liverpool
Murray; West Indies, Liverpool
Williams; Africa, Liverpool
Jenner; Glos

Offline Candolim_Imp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Friday 28 September 07 16:13 BST (UK) »
I've been following James M Coward today... given that his wife in 1861 was named Agnes, was born Scotland and matches closely in age to Agnes Scott Guildford/Gallahar.

I've discovered that he was James Maunsey Cowherd/Coward, mother Betty (in 1871 Mauncy Coward was with mother, Betty). He died aged 72 in 1906.

James Maunsey Calvert is listed in marriages for 1859. No others on page are given, but looking for an Agnes married in Longtown in the same quarter I found only one.... Agnes Scott!

Could this by my Agnes, who perhaps separated from James (he remarried in 1881 in Barrow). If so... it suggests a poor track record for her... as the Agnes Guildford marriage in 1869 seems unlikely to be anyone but her, yet she was back to Guildford and listed as unmarried in 1871.

Hodge; Southport, Lancs
Pugh; Salop, Liverpool
Hulm; Bootle, Southport
Guildford; Liverpool
Yapp/Yopp; Salop
Bury; Heref, Herts
Dady; Norfolk, Southport
Colebourne; Liverpool
Williams; Africa, Liverpool
Jenner; Glos

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Friday 28 September 07 19:54 BST (UK) »
I've been doing a wee bit of investigating of the Wilkinson (variation)  line. I think that the 1792 bpt for Mary is the best match.

Here are possible siblings:

Kirpatrick Fleming, Dumfriesshire

Wilkinson: children of John Wilkinson and Jean Forseyth (Forsyth) : [searched on Wilk*] 1750-1798, Dumfries -

1792 Mary
1794 Peter
1796 John
1798 Joseph

The Scottish naming pattern is not to be (and never should be)  taken as a rigid pattern - especially in this area, I've found. My D & G ancestors used it but with variations and very much depending on the status of individuals - including adding the odd local landowner, etc.

Gadget

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Candolim_Imp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Monday 01 October 07 08:36 BST (UK) »
1792 is a close match for her age in 1861, when she says she's 67.... so we know at least one of the censuses are off (and probably 2, assuming they were the Gallahars).

Thank you so much for all this help. It's wonderful to finally be making some progress in these folk after all these years of fruitless searching for Guildford/Gilford.
Hodge; Southport, Lancs
Pugh; Salop, Liverpool
Hulm; Bootle, Southport
Guildford; Liverpool
Yapp/Yopp; Salop
Bury; Heref, Herts
Dady; Norfolk, Southport
Colebourne; Liverpool