Author Topic: 1841 Census  (Read 3563 times)

Offline Suewarsash

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1841 Census
« on: Saturday 29 September 07 20:48 BST (UK) »
I am looking for Jesse VIMPANY born in 1826 in the 1841 census.  I have his family, his father, also Jesse aged 40, his mother Sarah and his siblings in Arlingham.  I also have his elder brother, Richard, who is a watchmaker and is living with Daniel Dean (uncle) in Cheltenham.  Jesse jn. is the only one of that family that I cannot find.  I feel he must be lodging somewhere in Cheltenham because he became a watchmaker like his brother Richard.

If anybody can find him, I shall be extremely grateful.

Sue

Offline ChasH

• My email is no longer working sorry
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The fool Monty
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 Census
« Reply #1 on: Monday 01 October 07 11:40 BST (UK) »
Sue,

In the 1851 census there's a Jesse V (23) and sister Mary (22) living in Hammersmith London; both are given as being born in Gloucester (might be "shire" too but enumeration sheet has been damaged.)

In the 1841 census of Arlingham which seems not fully indexed in the Ancestry.co.uk site, not only is Jesse missing, so is Mary.  To paraphrase Oscar Wilde, to lose one child, Sue, may be regarded as a misfortune; to lose both looks like carelessness; so assuming the indexing of the 1841 is at fault, I suggest you search nearby villages page by page as did my wife to find the Arlingham family.

Parloc - free parish locator - is useful in such searches; get it via http://www.parloc.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/ you will find it good value for money :D

Regards

Chas

My email is no longer working sorry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Bevstn:DAVIES:HIGGS:PERROT
Bisly:BROWN:COOK:CURTIS:DAVIS:FRANKLIN:GARDINER:GRIME:JEFFERIES:PEACEY:STEPHENS:WARREN
ChSod:HARDING:HIGGS
Colrne:GOLDEN
G Bad:DAVIES
Horsly:ADAMS:BAYLY:BIRD:COOK:EVANS:GAZARD:HILL:LEWIS:MATTHEWS:PRIDE:SKIRTON:TEAKLE:TURK:WALKLEY:YOUNG
K'St:BISHOP:PINEGAR
Marsh'd:BLAKE
Minch:HILL:MASON:PERRIN
N.Nib:PERROT:SHATFORD:WAYMAN:WOODWARD
N.Wrax:BLAKE

Offline Suewarsash

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 01 October 07 21:03 BST (UK) »
Thank you Chas for that very useful web site - I shall certainly try it.  The funny thing about Jesse in the 1851 census is that he did not have a sister, Mary.  I have accounted for both his sisters in that census, so I can only make a guess about Mary.

Thank you once again.

Sue

Online Daisypetal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 02 October 07 18:18 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Not sure about this one :-\

Transcribed as Joseph CONFREY at Ancestry and Jessee COMPANY at findmypast :P the Joseph doesn't look like the other Josephs on the page,

1841  HO107/369/3  f.4  p.2  Newnham, Gloucestershire
Newnham St

Jess??  ??mpany    15    Ap    Y

Maybe someone else can take a look.

Daisy

All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Suewarsash

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 02 October 07 20:54 BST (UK) »
Wow Daisy, you rootschatters are wonderful people.  I do believe that is 'my' Jesse.  Thank you so very much - I have been looking for him for ages,  I should have asked before.

Thank you
Sue