Author Topic: 1901 census lookup  (Read 1792 times)

Offline andrew shanks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
1901 census lookup
« on: Sunday 30 September 07 18:39 BST (UK) »
I would be grateful if someone could look up the 1901 census records for William Orr born 1856 at Shotts and his wife, Susan Wood Neilson, born 1861 at Polmont. 

They owned a farm at Shieldhill, so they may have been in that area at the time of the census.

:)
Ireland: Arlour, Arlow, Hammond, Hannah, Shanks, Templeton

Scotland: Allan, Black, Carlyle, Corkingdale, Fleeting, Grant, Hammond, Hannah, Kirkwood, Lothian, McFarlane, Main, Neilson, Shanks, Sneddon, Stirling, Wood

Sussex/Hampshire/Surrey/London/Kent: Beagley, Champion, Clark, Douch, Earl, Jones, King, Ladyman, Ley, Pattenden, Peskett, Pink, Readings, Standen, Stonestreet, Windiate

Offline ellenbrora

• RootsChat Member
  • My Grant ancestors
    • View Profile
Re: 1901 census lookup
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 30 September 07 20:53 BST (UK) »
Hi there

Susan is indeed at Shieldhill - but I think you have a wee mystery here!  First of all let me give you the census details for Susan:

She is at Shieldhill House, Polmont showing as Susanna Wood Orr, age 35 (so a little out from your birthdate of 1856), b. Polmont.

Head of the household is her father William Neilson, 85, retired farmer.

Also with them are:
Georgine Todd (female), 28, b. Falkirk, guest
Sarah Drifden, 14, servant, b. Larbert
William Jarvis, 5, guest, b. Falkirk.

Now to William!!!  There are 3 William Orrs born in Shotts. Birthdates are a bit out (1861, 1863 and 1864) AND - all have wives and families.

The most likely looking candidate is the 1861 one, who is living at Torphichen, West Lothian with wife Jessie and a young family, all 6 yrs and under.

Is it possible your William and Susan split up and he remarried (or not!)?

Do you have an occupation for your William to try to pin him down?

Cheers

Ellen.
Grant, Wright, Packman, Parley

Offline andrew shanks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: 1901 census lookup
« Reply #2 on: Monday 01 October 07 07:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Ellen

Thank you for this information.

I am afraid that I know nothing else about William Orr other than the fact that he married Susan in 1889 at Glasgow.  I wonder whether the 1891 census would reveal his occupation and possibly other details that might help to identify him?

:)
Ireland: Arlour, Arlow, Hammond, Hannah, Shanks, Templeton

Scotland: Allan, Black, Carlyle, Corkingdale, Fleeting, Grant, Hammond, Hannah, Kirkwood, Lothian, McFarlane, Main, Neilson, Shanks, Sneddon, Stirling, Wood

Sussex/Hampshire/Surrey/London/Kent: Beagley, Champion, Clark, Douch, Earl, Jones, King, Ladyman, Ley, Pattenden, Peskett, Pink, Readings, Standen, Stonestreet, Windiate