Author Topic: Jack CHELSOM  (Read 2570 times)

Offline Grabridge

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jack CHELSOM
« on: Monday 01 October 07 07:28 BST (UK) »
Jack is named as Mary Ann Wottons husband on their sons (Walter Jesse) birth certificate in 1893 in Biggleswade Bedford.  Jack is listed as a soldier in the 16th Bedfordshire regiment.  After much searching I have come to a halt, I can find no record of a Jack Chelsom anywhere, no record of a marriage between him and Mary Ann.  Mary Ann married in 1897 in her maiden name - most unusual if she had already been married.  Any suggestons?
Stanbridge, Sharman, Summerfields & Mayhew in Bedfordshire.  Everetts originally in Norfolk moved to Lincs then to Bedfordshire. Dightons in Huntingdonshire.

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Jack CHELSOM
« Reply #1 on: Monday 01 October 07 08:32 BST (UK) »
I assume you have Walter Jesse Chelsom's birth certificate. Relationship between the parents isn't given on birth certs. What exactly does it state for the mother? Mary Anne Chelsom formerly Wotton, or simply Mary Ann Wotton? Who was the informant?

Did Mary Anne marry a Mayhew and was she the one living in Bedford in 1901, with children Walter J aged 7 born Shefford (which is in Biggleswade registration district), Florence E 5, Kate 3, and Nellie I 1? The only Florence E born Bedford in 1896 that I can find was Wootton

Subject to what the birth cert has to say it looks to me as though both Walter and Florence could have been illegitimate (and Jack Chelsom acknowledging that he was the father hence his name being recorded on the birth cert), and Mary Anne then married William Mayhew

David (and JohnP)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline Grabridge

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 01 October 07 09:41 BST (UK) »
Walters birth cert says father - Jack Chelsom.  Mother - Mary Ann Chelsom formerly Wootton. Informant M A Chelsom - mother - Clifton Road, Clifton.

I have Florence's birth certificate born 3.3.1896, she is named as Florence Elsie Beasley - fathers details blank - mother listed as Mary Wootton.
Stanbridge, Sharman, Summerfields & Mayhew in Bedfordshire.  Everetts originally in Norfolk moved to Lincs then to Bedfordshire. Dightons in Huntingdonshire.

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 01 October 07 09:50 BST (UK) »
If Mary Anne was really married to Jack Chelsom then Florence's birth would have been registered as Chelsom rather than Wootton, and as you rightly say, she would have married William Mayhew as Mary Anne Chelsom, not Wootton.

I don't think she was married to Jack Chelsom - which I think was the conclusion reached on earlier postings on rootsweb and tribalpages

David
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock