Author Topic: Belfast Clergy 1901 - advice needed  (Read 10115 times)

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Belfast Clergy 1901 - advice needed
« Reply #9 on: Friday 05 October 07 22:15 BST (UK) »
Peter, I notice you on GenesReunited.co.uk
are you in contact with Thomas and Martin whose names turn up in search for Bernard Halliday 1901 Shankhill Road
I didnt understand in the oral history who Mrs Murphy was? a landlady
In case the oral story has become embelished, I have encountered belfast people who have referred to say father Gracey did this or that, but they were useing it a a shorthand or nickname for a neighbour's father,  perhaps they couldnt remember his name, they were not referring to a priest as such. Anway have a good weekend, Jim
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline farmer

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 07 October 07 07:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Jim,
yes, I'm in touch with Martin and Thomas, cheers.   The gedcom in question is Martin's.  There are many of us all researching the same families, I believe the first submissions to LDS were made about 1900.   
I take your point about the use of "Father".
What I'm trying to prove is that Fr McKeever's first name was NOT Bernard.
I'll explain -
My ggggrandfather John Halliday of Londonderry  married Margaret Rogan in Strabane around 1800 in Strabane.   Their son Abraham christened a son "Francis Rogan Halliday".
There was an eminent doctor Francis Rogan, born 1787 in Strabane whose father was Bernard Rogan.
We do not know anything about John Halliday (Holliday) or Margaret Rogan before their marriage, but searches quite frequently throw up the Halliday medical family from that area.
You've put in so much hard work, you deserve an explanation of where I'm going with this.
All supposition at the moment.
Thanks
Peter

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 07 October 07 09:21 BST (UK) »
Typical medics, thank you Peter for filling me in, Jim
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline Templar Knight

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 07 October 07 21:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Farmer.

Would this be of any help to you.

Belfast 1896

Wm, Halliday 68 Canmore St.

I have a photo of a Father Mckeever taken 1930 but don't think its the one you are looking for he only looks about 30 in the photo.

Templar/Anthony

Offline farmer

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 08 October 07 02:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Templar Knight,
Fr McKeever, the one I was told about at St Malachy's - he was ordained in 1903, died 1958. 
Wm Halliday of 68 Canmore St - you may remember we spoke about Little York St a while ago, where a few generations of my family lived.
Looks like Canmore St may have been another area where my family lived.
Could be this is my great grandfather, born about 1832 in Belfast, I would expect to see his wife Catherine too.
Although William (a weaver) and his family lived and worked in Glasgow, there is no trace (so far) of his death here in Scotland, so it's very possible if this is my great grandfather, he died in Belfast.
My family would drive you to distraction, they followed the work, smiths, weaving, shipbuilding, all over the place, Belfast, Glasgow, Birkenhead, USA, Australia, India, even Panama.
I suppose this story is repeated in many Irish families.
Later generations seem to have hopped back and forwards across the Irish Sea at the least excuse, BDMs, sport, things like that.
Thanks very much for your input,
Peter

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 05 November 07 18:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Farmer.

Would this be of any help to you.

Belfast 1896

Wm, Halliday 68 Canmore St.

I have a photo of a Father Mckeever taken 1930 but don't think its the one you are looking for he only looks about 30 in the photo.

Templar/Anthony

Hi Anthony, it might be an idea to post that picture of Father McKeever.

Peter, I wonder if the CCO could provide you with a list of all Father McKeevers in Ireland in the early 1900s. It's possible he came from somewhere in Ireland other than Belfast.

Christopher

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 05 November 07 20:13 GMT (UK) »
Some entries from Londonderry Sentinel newspaper:
2 Oct.1838: On the 18th inst., the lady of Francis Rogan, Esq., M.D., of a daughter.
22 May 1841: On the 9th inst., the lady of Francis Rogan, Esq., M.D., of a son.
3 Dec.1842: On the 21st inst., the lady of Francis Rogan, Esq., M.D., of a son.
18 Aug.1854: On Sunday, the 13th inst., at his residence, St. Columb's Court, after a few days illness, Francis Rogan, Esq., M.D., of this City, aged 67 years.
12 Apr.1864: April 6, at Leven, Gourock, Margaret Erskine, relict of Francis Rogan, M.D., of Londonderry.

13 Sept.1834: In this City, on Saturday last, Mrs. Rogan, relict of the late Dr. Rogan, of Strabane.

27 Nov.1841: At Strabane, on Friday the 12th inst., Mr. Hugh Haliday.
30 Apr.1836: On Wednesday, the 27th inst., in Bishop street, Mrs. Haliday, aged 75 years. Her virtues as a wife, her precepts, example, and affection as a parent, and sincerity as a friend, were seldom to be equalled.

There are certainly lots of Rogans- an several of them medical men: H.G. Rogan & William Rogan both surgeons, R.N., Dr. Bernard Rogan, Dr. William Rogan, etc.

Don't know if they are of interest but if you want the rest of them let me know and I send them to you off list.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline farmer

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 19 November 07 11:56 GMT (UK) »
Apologies for my not replying,
I'm "flued up" at the moment, will get back to you.
All advice and input IS appreciated.
Thanks
Peter

Offline farmer

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 09 December 07 16:48 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much, Aghadowey.
A cuz has sent me images of Francis Rogan's memorials in Londonderry Cathedral, so along with your information I now have much more on the Rogans.
Grateful to you for all the interesting information on Hollidays, as you will have realised, my family have used all the different spellings, which is a burden.    I believe Hugh in Strabane had a Whitesmith shop (in Pigotts), the same trade as my ggggrandfather, from the same area.
Not fully recovered from the flu, so cutting right back on RC just now, but again, thanks for your interest and input.
Peter