Author Topic: * COMPLETED * Think I need help sorting this family out!  (Read 2094 times)

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Think I need help sorting this family out!
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 03 October 07 11:49 BST (UK) »
yes that is possible.

the late registration of a birth to parents who were later married to each other might record a false birth date to conceal their illegitimacy. a child born out of wedlock was usually registered under the mothers surname, though before 1875 there was nothing to prevent an informant naming or inventing a putative father. later only if the father agreed and was either present to register the birth or his sworn acknowledgement of paternity was produced to the registrar could his name be inserted in the entry. after the legitimacy act of 1926 if the childs parents subsequently married the child became legitimate and his or her birth was frequently registered a second time under the married name.

you can give the child what ever surname you choose nowdays but you cannot put a fathers details on their unless he is present or you present the marriage certificate and then the childis assumed to be the husbands even if it is not.
Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 03 October 07 12:06 BST (UK) »
there is this..

88 Bramley St
Stepney

Edward Hampton Head M 32 Engineer out of employ B. MEOT Middlesex
Frances wife M 27 Poplar Mddsx
Emily Bell(?) wife 25 Engineer's wife Poplar
Elener bell(?) daughter 8 Poplar

(Emily and Eliner are at same address but looks like they were living separately to the Hamptons)
RG10 547 150 52

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 03 October 07 12:12 BST (UK) »
...and this

Mile End Old Town
Parish of Stepney

Thomas hampton 25 Engineer
Eliza 30
Edward 3
Thomas 1
all b county
HO107 712 35 24

sorry can't make out what the St name is

HO107 712 35 24

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 03 October 07 12:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Toni  :) Goodbye to another £7 then . . . ouch  :'(

Thanks Suz, I think those must be the same Edward, and I'm sure you're right about the Bell family being separate. The 1871 entry ties in with an 1866 marriage entry for Edward and Frances, and with the IGI in my last post. I think it's Grosvenor St. in 1841. Just missing the 1861 entry for Edward now, and his death (Mary was Widow in 1891)

Mike.
Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 03 October 07 13:03 BST (UK) »
Think you are correct in it being Grosvenor St in 1841 - I checked other pages and came up with possibles of Grosvenor, gardenor, -all kinds of guesses, and didn't want to just guess

Suz

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 03 October 07 13:04 BST (UK) »
ah ha not so mnay detahs to choose from this time:~

HAMPTON Edward  age 49  St Saviour Southwark.1d  74  Q3  1882        
HAMPTON Edward  50  West Derby.8b  287  Q1  1884        
HAMPTON Edward William  44  Islington.1b  187  Q2  1889  

Probaly not the second one me thinks.

search criteria input Edward Hampton death age 48 +/- 5 years 1881-1891

Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 03 October 07 13:09 BST (UK) »
just in case you didnt have thismarriage :~

Q2 1884 Wandsworth 1d 938
Edward Josiah Hampton & Mary Ann Scott (on same page)

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 03 October 07 20:01 BST (UK) »
Thanks again Toni, and Suz. I can't make up my mind about that marriage. It's certainly possible, and quite a coincidence of names, but seems to be in the wrong place as they were both living the other side of London, and neither appear to have any connection with Wandsworth. Also, if they did marry, Mary Ann had reverted to her former surname of Scott by 1891. Maybe she changed both her and Ivy's surnames after Edward died, so they matched the other children?

If Edward was the father of Ivy he must have died after mid-1887, so only the last death date could be him. I think I'll have to wait 'til I get Ivy's birth certificate before I go any further . . . I seem to be going round in circles with this family. I may even order that marriage certificate as well.

Thanks for all the help so far. I think I'm making progress, have eliminated a few possibilities, and strengthened a few others.

Mike.  :)
Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 25 October 07 13:51 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Just a quick update in case anyone is interested. I got the birth certificate for Ivy Hampton today, and the parents are Edward Josiah Hampton and 'Mary Ann Hampton late Scott formerly Ellis', so I think the marriage toni found must be the right one . . .
just in case you didnt have this marriage :~

Q2 1884 Wandsworth 1d 938
Edward Josiah Hampton & Mary Ann Scott (on same page)

So thanks toni, and everyone, for all the help . . . now I just have to work out why they married in Wandsworth when they both lived at West Ham. Maybe she was living there between censuses, she was born near Hounslow and lived in the Brentford area previously. Strange that she later reverted to her first husband's surname of Scott though . . . .  ???

Mike.

PS. Just got this photo of Mary Ann from mum . . .