Author Topic: John Brock b. 1811 - how many of 'em?  (Read 5050 times)

Offline Rossdal3

• RootsChat Veteran
  • The 3 Lions
    • View Profile
Re: John Brock b. 1811 - how many of 'em?
« Reply #9 on: Friday 11 January 08 08:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

Sorry for barging in like this!  I don't have any help to give, but couldn't pass up a chance to tap into the large data-base of Brocks in Norfolk, I see here. 

I am looking for ancestors of a Richard Brock b. born 1846 in Norwich Norfolk.  His second sife was my Gt Gt Grandmother Martha, nee Coultas. His first wife was probably an Elizabeth Barrett who married in 1866 in Guiltcross.  Does anyone have these Brocks in their tree?

regards,
Jill
Holdsworth
Gill
Stead
Pawson
Holmes
Craven
Gaunt
Austin
Wells/Coultas
Hardisty
Grange
Wedgeworth/Knox

Offline meles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 11 January 08 08:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jill

Not in my database, I'm afraid.  :'(

meles
Brock: Alburgh, Norfolk, and after 1850, London; Tooley: Norfolk<br />Grimmer: Norfolk; Grimson: Norfolk<br />Harrison: London; Pollock<br />Dixon: Hampshire; Collins: Middx<br />Jeary: Norfolk; Davison: Norfolk<br />Rogers: London; Bartlett: London<br />Drew: Kent; Alden: Hants<br />Gamble: Yorkshire; Huntingford: East London

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rossdal3

• RootsChat Veteran
  • The 3 Lions
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 11 January 08 10:05 GMT (UK) »
thanks so much for checking for me Meles.  Back to the drawing board!

regards,
Jill
Holdsworth
Gill
Stead
Pawson
Holmes
Craven
Gaunt
Austin
Wells/Coultas
Hardisty
Grange
Wedgeworth/Knox

Offline meles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 11 January 08 10:50 GMT (UK) »
I had a little look up for you, Jill.

As you may know in the 1901 Census, he says he's born in Norwich, but in 1891, it's Topham, 1881 Lopton, and 1861 North Lopham.

1851 Census shows him in North Lopham with father Titus Brock, born 1803 in North Lopham and who is on Parish Relief, poor man. His wife is Susan, same date and place of birth and there are Frederick 16, Elizabeth 14, Jeremiah 12, Edward 10, Adelaide 8 (Richard's twin) and Eliza 2.

There are a whole load of Brocks in this area, but not - as far as I know - linked to my family.

meles
Brock: Alburgh, Norfolk, and after 1850, London; Tooley: Norfolk<br />Grimmer: Norfolk; Grimson: Norfolk<br />Harrison: London; Pollock<br />Dixon: Hampshire; Collins: Middx<br />Jeary: Norfolk; Davison: Norfolk<br />Rogers: London; Bartlett: London<br />Drew: Kent; Alden: Hants<br />Gamble: Yorkshire; Huntingford: East London

Offline meles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 11 January 08 11:06 GMT (UK) »
...and a bit more checking and I've found Titus on my database.  ;D

And the really good news is - I've got his family!  ;D ;D ;D

His parents are Edward and Sarah (nee Curry). No dates, I'm afraid.
Edward is son of John b. 1728 (possibly N Lopham) and Mary (nee Gathercoal) They had another son, John b. 2.5.1757 N Lopham.

John b. 1728 is son of Edmund b. 1705 and Martha (nee Benstead).

Edmund is son of John b. c1670 South Lopham and Hannah.

And John is son of John and Sarah (nee Wiley) who were married S Lopham 14.10.1669.

I hope that's helpful.

meles

Offline Rossdal3

• RootsChat Veteran
  • The 3 Lions
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 11 January 08 11:13 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Meles, this is brilliant!  I am familiar with Bradford and surrounds, but had no idea of the Norfolk area, so this is a great addition to our family tree. 

I have made contact with 3 "cousins" through ancestry, who are all descendants of Martha Brock, all from diffferent children (and she had many), so will be able to share this info.  We think that Richard Brock may well have been transported up to Bradford to work in the mills and if he was in the poor house, I'm sure that would have been very welcome to him.  They were tough times alright!!

Cheers,
Jill
Holdsworth
Gill
Stead
Pawson
Holmes
Craven
Gaunt
Austin
Wells/Coultas
Hardisty
Grange
Wedgeworth/Knox

Offline meles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 11 January 08 11:18 GMT (UK) »
You're very welcome!

I think your supposition that he moved for work is likely. A number of my lot ended up in the workhouse as Norfolk's economy crashed. Many moved away at this time, looking for work.

meles

Offline Dazel

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 17 December 09 09:14 GMT (UK) »
Hello everyone

I am descended from Richard Brock's twin sister Adelaide.  She was working as a servant to the Holmes family in Manningham, Bradford in 1861 and married there in 1865.  Since Richard married at North Lopham in 1866 I assume that he followed her to Bradford. 

I agree that he probably left for economic/work reasons.  A book called 'A History of The Lophams' by Michael Friend Serpell refers to others leaving for such reasons.

In 1881 Richard was working as a labourer in a velvet mill so I am also guessing that he got a job at Listers mill as Adelaide's son, John Dunn, was a velvet plush finisher there.
In 1891 Richard was a mason's labourer of 87 Chassum Street so he may, like his nephew, have lost his job at the Manningham mills due to the strike of 1890-91.

Dazel

Offline Rossdal3

• RootsChat Veteran
  • The 3 Lions
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 17 December 09 10:37 GMT (UK) »
Dazel, there are a few really interesting coincidences here.  I've PMd you with details.

Cheers,
Jill
Holdsworth
Gill
Stead
Pawson
Holmes
Craven
Gaunt
Austin
Wells/Coultas
Hardisty