Author Topic: Vic Federation Query!  (Read 1616 times)

Offline joppo1968

• RootsChat Veteran
  • 4 x GGrandfather Joseph Boultbee (1758-1821)
    • View Profile
Vic Federation Query!
« on: Wednesday 03 October 07 11:52 BST (UK) »
Hey Chatters!

Just a query. I've had Tas Pioneer & Fed Indexes for about a year now, so I'm used to getting searches for BDM's giving not just the year but the day & month. I noticed to my disappointment that the Vic Indexes only give the year! Does that mean in order to find the day & month you have to pay $17.50 to get the downloaded PDF file?

Mike.
Jopson, Jubb, Jeffrey, Beardsworth, Boultbee, Byard, Pithers, Sale, Dowling, Dunn, Harrison, Offor, McDonald, Morgan, Walters, Wise. Alexander, Bayne, Collins, Dalton, Hill, Turner, Ripper, Vivash, Collins.

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Vic Federation Query!
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 03 October 07 11:56 BST (UK) »
I believe so - unless there are baptism records, but I don't know where to find them. For death dates I try and find cemetery records.  NSW is the same. Qld online only gives the registration year, but the Qld CD gives the complete dates.

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline joppo1968

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 03 October 07 12:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks a lot Trish!

It's a bit disappointing though hey? Shows that while us Taswegians get a bashing for being backwards, at least we get some things right  ;)

Mike.
Jopson, Jubb, Jeffrey, Beardsworth, Boultbee, Byard, Pithers, Sale, Dowling, Dunn, Harrison, Offor, McDonald, Morgan, Walters, Wise. Alexander, Bayne, Collins, Dalton, Hill, Turner, Ripper, Vivash, Collins.

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 03 October 07 13:19 BST (UK) »
I love Tassie (well, while it still has a couple of native trees standing) - and agree it is good to have the dates - but your certificates to 1900 could have been a bit more informative  ;D  ;D

Thus said, I really like your archives - easy to use, lots of help & inexpensive

Trish

PS I think ALL the states charge way above reality for certificates - they truly see it as a money making venture - I think it is ridiculous to have to PAY for your own information & to have to pay what is asked for family history stuff is almost as bad. Maybe I can get the Feds to take it over & give it free as an election gift - will cost less than fixing the health system  ;D  ;D  ;D

Offline joppo1968

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 03 October 07 13:24 BST (UK) »
I agree with everything you've said Trish  ;D Shock horror. The ridiculous thing is that for 66 cents I get print out a pre 1900 Tassie certificate but to get 1 after 1900 it costs me $34! Now that is ridiculous.

Mike. (Wanna start a Genealogical Polital party against revenue from BDM certificates etc?  :P ) We could get a lot of members I'm sure.

Offline deeiluka

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mrs Dee & me.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 03 October 07 13:37 BST (UK) »
South Australian certificates don't give as much information as other states unfortunately.....but the Births and Marriages Indexes are great. They contain more details than any of the other States, including full dates.

.....dee
Steeles, Burton, Garrod (Norfolk), Clarke, Tomblin (Rutland)
Bauer (London, France), Blades, Parker (Surrey)
Edwards, Coles, Smith, Nunley, Craddock, York, & Linnell (Northants) )
Ehmcke, Deimel, Appelkamp (Germany)
Watts (Somerset, Wiltshire) Selway, Churchill, & Chappell (Somerset)
Redwood (Devon, Essex) Button, Archer, Leach (Cambridgeshire)

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 03 October 07 14:45 BST (UK) »
South Australian certificates don't give as much information as other states unfortunately.....but the Births and Marriages Indexes are great. They contain more details than any of the other States, including full dates.

.....dee

Any chance they'll ever come online Dee - if the CDs are like the other states they costs lots of money. SA is the one state I know very little about - perhaps because it is the only state in which  I have not yet found any of my family (this could be a chicken and egg event)

Trish

Offline joppo1968

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 03 October 07 15:06 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that info Dee but I only have the Tas Indexes & Vic Indexes so far.

Mike.

Offline deeiluka

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mrs Dee & me.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 04 October 07 02:19 BST (UK) »

Any chance they'll ever come online Dee - if the CDs are like the other states they costs lots of money. SA is the one state I know very little about - perhaps because it is the only state in which  I have not yet found any of my family (this could be a chicken and egg event)

Trish

I'd doubt it , Trish......and yes, the CDs are very expensive.   :-\

If you come across any family for SA, just send a message this way......

.....dee
Steeles, Burton, Garrod (Norfolk), Clarke, Tomblin (Rutland)
Bauer (London, France), Blades, Parker (Surrey)
Edwards, Coles, Smith, Nunley, Craddock, York, & Linnell (Northants) )
Ehmcke, Deimel, Appelkamp (Germany)
Watts (Somerset, Wiltshire) Selway, Churchill, & Chappell (Somerset)
Redwood (Devon, Essex) Button, Archer, Leach (Cambridgeshire)

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk