Poll

What do you think: SHould the Scottish Regiments be Reformed?

Yes
5 (26.3%)
No
14 (73.7%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Author Topic: Should the Scottish Regiments be Reformed?  (Read 2536 times)

Offline ryan

• RootsChat Veteran
  • (Pictured) My G-G Grandfather Thomas John Hill.
    • View Profile
Should the Scottish Regiments be Reformed?
« on: Tuesday 21 December 04 22:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi :)
In the previous week I was shocked, baffled and enraged to hear that Geoff Hoon, Minister of the MOD has announced that Her Majesty's Scottish Regiments, including the world-renowned Black Watch Regiment, will be merged to form one regiment known as the Royal Scottish Regiment. I will not bring politics into my argument against Hoon's decision, but I will state my personal reasons of annoyance below:

I am proud to say that my Great Grandfather, Charles Hill, was a Grenadier in the Black Watch Regiment prior to, and throughout the Second World War. The regiment, like the other Scottish Regiments, are world-renowned and famous for their colorful, distinguished and honorable military history serving Great Britain for hundreds of years. Now, in order to 'save money' each regiment will be merged to form one regiment; an unknown, faceless body; an empty shell of it's glorious predecessors. In effect, the creation of the new 'Royal Scottish Regiment' will replace the predecessors; eradicating them from existence, wiping the slate clean and destroying the history. The regiments own colours, own past; chronicles of hardship, passion and loyalty will have been for nothing. The Scottish Regiments have been huge parts of thousands and thousands of peoples lives, past and present, and in my view, these regiments must not be discarded in order to pinch-a-penny-or-two. The actions of Hoon are selfish, insulting and callas.

Please share your thoughts (not too much politics though ;)).
HILL/BURKE/BELCHER/BIGNELL/BADHAM/COX/BLAKE/YELDHAM in London
HOPKINS/HART/MATTHEWS/MUNSON/FARLEY in Exeter & Mid Devon
FEREDAY in The Potteries & Tipton
ADAMS/MUSCUTT/ELSBY/BRIDGENS/BURKE/BELL/RAINBOW in The Potteries
O’CALLAGHAN/O’BRIEN in Cork
BURKE/FITZPATRICK in Birmingham
HOPKINS in Shaftesbury
YELDHAM/RAVEN/MUNSON/BIGNELL in Essex
BLAKE/CHANDLER in Wickham Market, Suffolk

Offline Nick Carver

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Should the Scottish Regiments be Reformed?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 22 December 04 07:56 GMT (UK) »
Tough call to go easy on the politics. I think the sad thing is that the names of the regiments will disappear into history as did the Cameron Highlanders and Seaforth Highlanders before them. It's odd that the focus seems to be foursquare on the Scottish regiments when I hear recruiting for them is rather difficult at the moment. There are some equally ilustrious English regiment names destined for the scrapheap, although I did hear that the amalgamation of the Prince of Wales regiment with the Green Howards and the Duke of Wellington's regiment was going to produce a new entity known as the Prince of Wales' Green Wellingtons, which sounds much better.
E Yorks - Carver, Steels, Cross, Maltby, Whiting, Moor, Laybourn
W Yorks - Wilkinson, Kershaw, Rawnsley, Shaw
Norfolk - Carver, Dowson
Cheshire - Berry, Cooper
Lincs - Berry
London/Ireland/Scotland/Lincs - Sullivan
Northumberland/Durham - Nicholson, Cuthbert, Turner, Robertson
Berks - May
Beds - Brownell

Offline D ap D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stuck with John Jones in Wales? Join the club!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 22 December 04 09:34 GMT (UK) »
I'll also leave politics well out of it, because once I get started thats it.

My ggf was also in the Black Watch during WWI - quite what he was doing there as a Welshman I don't know, but never mind.

Its not just the Scots regiments that are being reformed, but I do think that ALL regiments should be treated equally.

Apparently the Welsh regiments will be titled:
1st Battalion The Royal Welsh (The Royal Welch Fusiliers) and the 2nd Battalion The Royal Welsh (The Royal Regiment of Wales)

whereas the Scots regiments will be allowed to keep their traditional names and put the new amalgamated name in brackets, i.e. The black Watch (x Battalion Royal Scottish).

On the other hand, I don't think that the names will disappear altogether, even if they are not used. Take the South Wales Borderers for example. It is still known as the regiment who won all those VCs at Rorkes Drift, even though it was amalgamated with the RRW.

It does however just go to show the respect that the present govt shows for history, culture and tradition (see Lord Chancellor).
Stuck with:
William Williams of Llanllyfni
John Jones in Llanelli
Evan Evans in Caio
David Davies of Llansanffraid
Evans: Caio/Carms
Jones: CDG, DEN

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Nor do I think that any other nation than this of Wales, or any other tongue, whatever may hereafter come to pass, shall on the day of the great reckoning before the Most High Judge, answer for this corner of the earth": The Old Man of Pencader to Henry II

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 22 December 04 09:44 GMT (UK) »
It is disgraceful, but the policy of this government  is continual change - all change is for the better and - if it does not work - change the method of measurement. This is same Geoff Hoon, by the way, who told the SAS that they must be more inclusive - that is double-speak for having women and disabled members. I have nothing against women in most walks of life and I am myself somewhat disabled but I would imagine the nature of the SAS duties would preclude such "inclusiveness".
The other aspect of the double-speak is the justification that Less is More - if we have fewer Scottish regiments they will be better able to do their duties ??? ??? ???
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JillJ

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 22 December 04 20:04 GMT (UK) »
Of course these regiments shouldn't be reformed!   It is just a case of government making changes for the sake of appearing to have 'achieved' something!   I doubt very much that it will save money - in fact I would go so far as to say that the end result will probably exceed any budget which has been set aside for the purpose, as with most government schemes.   This is a 'non-political' comment - the same thing would apply whichever party was in power!

Jill

Jowett & Broadbent in Leeds.
Perry, Hartshorn/e & Wilkes in Birmingham & Dudley. Walker and Dabill in Sheffield & Notts.
Farrar in Darlington & Leeds.
Kidd & Taylor in Hartlepool & Teesside
Census information is crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ryan

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 22 December 04 21:03 GMT (UK) »
"Here-Here" like they say in Parliament. I'm glad that everybody who has voted agrees with me.

Thank you ;D
HOPKINS in Shaftesbury

Offline kmo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 23 December 04 10:35 GMT (UK) »
It's the Gov'ts job to organise for possible future wars, not past one's.  If their changes lead to a better prepared, better equipped and better trained army, then past history shouldn't stand in the way. I'm all for change, if it will lead to less soldiers dieing.

Offline ryan

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 23 December 04 13:59 GMT (UK) »
I appreciate what you're saying KMO, but enhancing the effectiveness and readiness of an Army does not happen with the reformation of regiments and diversion of vital funds. It happens with increased funds and better 'working conditions', the latter encompassing equipment and training etc. It is well known that Britain has some of the best respected, skilled and trained Armed Forces in the world but defence budget cuts gussied-up behind a fancy new name if anything, is like a stab in the back to the Scottish Regiments.

This article explains everything very clearly: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2004/10/07/narmy07.xml&sSheet=/news/2004/10/07/ixhome.html

I have signed this petition: http://www.petitiononline.com/STSR/petition.html

:)
HOPKINS in Shaftesbury

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 23 December 04 14:16 GMT (UK) »
The Armed Forces have several tasks - defence of the Realm, elimination of enemy targets, occupation and pacification of territory, peace-keeping, civil disaster relief. You may be able to perform the first two tasks with small forces and high-tech weaponry. The other 3 need manpower on the ground. I speak as an ex-soldier who had a tiny part in the Korean War, the Malayan Emergency, the Eoka terrorism in Cyprus and the Suez Task force. That is not a great military pedigree but sufficient to enable me to see realities. Believe me, Less is not More!
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk