Author Topic: VIC - Marriage(s) -Look up please  (Read 78151 times)

Online Sleat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: VIC - Marriage(s) -Look up please
« Reply #324 on: Tuesday 13 November 07 20:18 GMT (UK) »
I checked the Sands & Kenny Melbourne 1857-1861 and the Sands & McDougall Melbourne 1865 for Bransgrove

There was

1859 Sands & Kenny
Bransgrove Ebenezer, 100 Latrobe St east

1865 Sands & McDougall
Bransgrove E Victoria-Parade East Collingwood

If someone can tell me other names to check for I'll give it a go.  :D

Offline tropicalj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • six grandkids
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: Tuesday 13 November 07 21:58 GMT (UK) »
Hello there,

Sleat welcome  to  this wonderfull  thread and well done on  the Sand and McDougall Directory.,  it certainly adds  interest to  the story doesn't it.

Now a  little  more  on  wee George Heasman

I  had contacted  the Melbourne cemetery  regarding  his  burial  but  was told  he  was not buried  there,  so  I  then  spoke to  them again  and  they sent  me  back  the  following information

"We checked our records again at Melbourne General Cemetery and have found the following entry.  We apologise as our system shows the deceased name was mispelt as GEORGE HEASTMAN

Please note that as this is a Public Burial we are unable to give you an exact location.  There is no commemorative plaque or headstone at the grave to mark it.  The date of service was 11/04/1870. "

So  now  does  that  mean  at  this  point  in  time  the  family  had  no  monies  to  bury  him? 
A  public burial  is  that a  paupers grave?
(I found  my  poor ggf Alf  Shoebirdge in  a  paupers grave at ballarat along with  16  other souls,  at  least he  had company!)

A twist to  the Heasman ... Heastman  says  Jenn reaching  for her index's   ;D

kind regard Jenn

When you search for ancestors, you find great friends!
I live in Townsville researching
TOWNSEND,PINNEGAR, STRANGE, PULLEN, GRIFFIN from Wiltshire,,
SHOEBRIDGE, VINALL, BRINDLE, Kent
BAYLEY, Dorset,Yorkshire,
HAIR, Durham,
CUMMINS, BROWNLESS from Yorkshire,
EDSALL,  Cornwall,
MORGAN, HENNESSY, BAKER,  Ireland.
VAN REYK Sri Lanka
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.au

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: Wednesday 14 November 07 01:08 GMT (UK) »
There still seem to be gremlins around  :(  A post (unimportant) which I made last night my time has disappeared ...

Hello Sleat,
Welcome to this thread!
Some (uncommon) names are AYLMORE, BALLI, BRANSGROVE, HEASMAN, MORININI (any and all spellings - for instance, we've found HEASMAN under variants as different as HAISMAN, HEUSMAN, HAESMAN, HESIMAN, HEIZMAN, ISSMAN, EASTMAN, ESMOND and now HEASTMAN ...).

There are also some common names like ANDERSON, WILKINSON, etc - see the summaries on Page 19 of the thread!

Jenn,
I wonder just what the Melbourne Cemetery people meant by a "Public Burial".  My understanding (I'm open to correction) is that there would be a section of a cemetery which was Public/Common Ground - for people who could not afford to purchase a Private Grave plot of their own.  But they would still have to pay for the actual burial itself and the associated service.  Several unrelated persons would be likely to be buried in each Public Grave plot.  These might well include "paupers" i.e. people who had died with no means (and/or whose rells had no means) and whom the Board of Guardians therefore determined were to be buried at public expense.

I have a few in public graves - but I have no documentary proof of whether the burial was paid for by their rells or whether they were "paupers" (i.e. buried at public expense).

JAP

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: Wednesday 14 November 07 01:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi ALL      :)

Yes, those beastly gremlins  ... I too had a post "disappear" last night !

Thanks again "Sleat"  -  much appreciated  (have earlier PM'd you as I wasn't sure if those "gremlins" might prevent me posting direct to board) !   Hopefully we're "back in business here, now ?

And that's great, JAP has expanded on our names search including all the weird and wonderful spellings we've encountered.

I'll re-post my "lost" info (re:  BALLI), shortly.

Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: Wednesday 14 November 07 02:09 GMT (UK) »
Re:    BALLI  (surname) appearing on passenger lists VIC to NZ - 1862 and 1868 :     [Refer to post # 216 on  page 15 of this thread] :

I did a search of PROV fiche records (Passengers leaving VIC) ~ they give a little more info than what can be found in the online version (also "online" seems to have rather a lot of "spelling" errors in surnames)?

BALLI :   G.     age - 31     Country:  Italy
status - single      (in)  fore cabin
"City of Hobart" departed Melbourne 6 December 1862 destined for Port Chalmers (Dunedin, NZ) :

BALLI :   Mrs  (23)   (the surname given in "online record)

The fiche record shows the name to be "BALK" !

BALK:   Mrs (23)  Passenger # 2668
(in)   Steerage
Vessel "Auckland"  to Hokitika (West Coast, NZ) departed Melbourne 6 June 1868 :

Offline aumarire

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: Wednesday 14 November 07 03:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi again,
With regard to the below message on page 19, which I will cut and paste here.

William Richard, bap 16 Sept 1846 St James CE, Melbourne Vic #14885 (birth date not shown)
Note: William's age is 9 on petition for admission to Orphan School, NSW, Oct 1859.
     *William R HEASMAN m Harrul (i.e. Harriet) J NEWBY Wellington NSW 511/1878
     *William R HEASMAN d Wellington NSW  6810/1897 parents unknown.
Note: William (as HEASEMAN) & Harriet (as COURT - she remarried, d 1918) bur in Wellington General Cem NSW; impressive gravestone photo on Australian Cemeteries site - it has William's age as 56.
Note: Is this the son of William HEASMAN & Jane AYLMORE?

I have looked at the photo on the Australian Cemeteries list, and as said above, it does give this mans age as 56, which would equate with a different birth date from OUR William, and also his surname is written on the headstone as  Heaseman. Having said all of that, I realise that the name is written  in so many different ways, I can quite believe this to be our man, although I do ask ( here is hoping this hasn't been dealt with in previous pages, sorry if it has been)  but my question is, has anyone got the marriage cert of this guy, to verify the marriage to Miss Newby.
Note that he died in Wellington, NSW so I will eat my hat if this little snippet that I found is not our guy. I realise that above it is written that the folio number of his death is 6810/1897  and I have checked the NSW index's, and that is correct, so I assume seeing his gravestone states he died May 1896, that perhaps there was an inquest into his death and the death may not have been registered until the following year?. Also, it is interesting that while the headstone spells his name as Heaseman, the index spell it is Heasman.
Now, here is the snippet that I located
"""Taken from the Queenslander, Brisbane, Saturday, May 22, 1897
INTERCOLONIAL NEWS
NEW SOUTH WALES Sydney, May 11 {p. 1118}
At the Wellington show a rider of a horse in the hunting contest was thrown and stunned. A friend of the rider, named HEASEMAN, on seeing the accident sustained a shock, from which he died in a few minutes.

What do you make of all of this.
Aumarire
Adcock - England, New Zealand
Balli -Switzerland, Australia
Caldwell - Australia, New Zealand
Dobbin - Australia, New Zealand
Iremonger -England, New Zealand
Rands - England, Australia, USA
Rendall - England
Whelan - Ireland, New Zealand
White - England, New Zealand
Williamson - Scotland, New Zealand

Offline tropicalj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • six grandkids
    • View Profile
« Reply #330 on: Wednesday 14 November 07 04:40 GMT (UK) »
Hello  there Aumarire

What a  good  find  that  newspaper article  is  imagine  dying  of shock  at a  hunting accident,  I  do  wonder who  his friend was.

As  yet  to  my  knowledge no  one has  brought the marriage  or death Certificate  for William  R Heasman/ Heaseman.  The  NSW on line BDM  does  not  have an  immediate download facility  one  has  two  wait  up  to  two  to  three weeks  on  occasion  for  the certificate  to arrive  and  the costs  is around  $25.00.  A  transcription  agent (  IE Laurie Turtle) is  less expensive  around $15.00  and  he  usually  sends an email attachment  in  around  2 to  3  days.

kind  Regards Jenn
HAIR, Durham,
EDSALL,  Cornwall,
VAN REYK Sri Lanka

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: Wednesday 14 November 07 04:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Aumarire,

Yes, more gremlins - and the Santa ad seems to be slowing things down a lot  :(

I'd noticed that mention at:
http://addison.homedns.org/transcriptions/bev_edmonds/transcripts/page4.html
of the friend named HEASEMAN dying of shock - I probably should have mentioned it; I assumed it was 'our' William but didn't think it added anything to our quest  :(  I hadn't thought of Inquests ...  Though they might have dispensed with an inquest given that the death happened at such a public occasion i.e. the Wellington Show (especially if this William had - say - a history of heart disease).   Annie (post #316) did say she'd checked out the inquests for William HEASMAN (snr) and found nothing ...

Inquests usually followed rapidly after a death.  Given that the newspaper snippet refers to news from May 1897, and given that the death was registered in 1897, I'd assumed that the gravestone was wrong - especially as it was possibly(?) erected years later after Harriet's death in 1918.

I probably mentioned elsewhere that there's a Henry HEASEMAN who d Wellington aged 76 in 1858.  He's buried in the Wellington Pioneer Cemetery.  He's also mentioned in a Maitland News Index at:
http://ceinternet.com.au/~rgow/mm46ax.html

Yes, I guess the 1878 marriage cert of William R HEASMAN to Harrul (sic) J NEWBY in Wellington would solve this puzzle.

JAP

Offline tropicalj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • six grandkids
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: Wednesday 14 November 07 05:23 GMT (UK) »
AS  JAP  says  the  marriage certificate  would  be the  best  bet to  purchase  given  the  fact  the  he  Wiliam  would  have filled  in  the  details,  but some  of  the early  NSW marriage  certificates  do  not carry  as  much  information  as  one  would  hope  for.  I  know I  purchased  one from  1888  only to  find  the  parents details  etc  were  not  shown.  I  had  to track  down  the church  and  lucky  they still  had  all  the relevant  files.

What  I  do  find  interesting is  the  headstone,  who  did  erect  as  cannot  find  any  children  to  this couple.

Jenn

HAIR, Durham,
EDSALL,  Cornwall,
VAN REYK Sri Lanka