Author Topic: VIC - Marriage(s) -Look up please  (Read 78122 times)

Online Sleat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: VIC - Marriage(s) -Look up please
« Reply #342 on: Saturday 17 November 07 00:03 GMT (UK) »
I checked my directories for all the names I could and the only one I found is

1865 Eastman Mrs, Church St Richmond 

:(

Offline annecaroline

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: Saturday 17 November 07 05:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Everyone,

I looked today at the will of Harriett Jane Court wife of William Heasman jnr.
It would appear that there were no children of this marriage.She leaves things for sisters Elizabeth Coupland and Sarah McLeod(or Hart)brothers Thomas Newby and  Frederick Newby plus a Conrad Gardoll.She also states
"I direct my executors and trustees to erect a Headstone over the graves of myself and that of my 1st husband William Heasman in the Methodist portion of Wellington Cemetery at a cost of not less than £40.

So that explains that little mystery.Have been on the hunt for our Mr Bransgrove -finally found him which will be in my next post.
Annie

Offline annecaroline

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: Saturday 17 November 07 06:14 GMT (UK) »
Here is another interesting little snippet I found.
Letter from Charles Wilkinson

Melbourne
19th Oct 1865
The Honorable Charles Cowper Esq
Sir
Understanding that a doubt exists as to my claim to a pension and that it is to be brought before the House for consideration,which appears strange after being legally granted to me.I beg to say that I have served the Government faithfully for 28years and received a very high Testimonial from the Treasury on retiring and my duties during that time were very responsible the whole of the Revenue passing through my hands.I am sorry to state that I am solely depending upon my pension to support my wife and family and should I be deprived of it God only knows what I shall do.Trusting that you will kindly support my claim when it is brought forward and pardon the liberty I have thus taken.
I have the honor to be.
Sir Your Most Obt Servant
Chas Wilkinson

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #345 on: Saturday 17 November 07 06:28 GMT (UK) »
Annie,

You find the most fascinating information.

I am so very very glad that these people are connected - though distantly - to your own lot!

Poor Charles WILKINSON - sounds like he was very deserving.  Nothing's changed, eh - the deserving miss out and the undeserving ...

I have posited some scenarios on this thread - not always appreciated, I fear. ;D  But some have turned out, I think, to be spot on.  Including, now, this one posted a few days back on 14 Nov:
Quote from: JAP
If James pre-deceased Harriet, perhaps she - before she passed away - left instructions that she was to be buried with William (especially if she owned that grave and there was room for her), and instructions (and provision) for the headstone.

Hmmmm!

All the very best to all,

JAP

Offline tropicalj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • six grandkids
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: Saturday 17 November 07 06:49 GMT (UK) »
"
I direct my executors and trustees to erect a Headstone over the graves of myself and that of my 1st husband William Heasman in the Methodist portion of Wellington Cemetery at a cost of not less than £40.

The  mind  boggles  as  to  what sort  of  hubby  James Court was!!!!

Did  he  predecease  her do  you  think  Annie  does  the  will elude to  this  fact?

regards Jenn
When you search for ancestors, you find great friends!
I live in Townsville researching
TOWNSEND,PINNEGAR, STRANGE, PULLEN, GRIFFIN from Wiltshire,,
SHOEBRIDGE, VINALL, BRINDLE, Kent
BAYLEY, Dorset,Yorkshire,
HAIR, Durham,
CUMMINS, BROWNLESS from Yorkshire,
EDSALL,  Cornwall,
MORGAN, HENNESSY, BAKER,  Ireland.
VAN REYK Sri Lanka
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.au

Offline annecaroline

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: Saturday 17 November 07 06:50 GMT (UK) »
JAP

Don't knock the scenarios-they have all helped us to think outside the square-which is why we have got as far as we have on this family.

Does anyone have access to the 1841,1851 census for London need a search for Ebenzer Bransgrove.The one thing I don't have is his age.
States he arrived on the "City of Sydney"in 1855.
I think the year is wrong as he would of got himself into mischief within weeks of landing.

Have managed to find this on the ship

The SS City of Sydney was built in 1853 by Smith and Rodger (perhaps Roger) in Glasgow, Scotland. She was a single screw steamship of 735 tons, almost 208 feet long and exactly 27 feet wide. The new vessel was also barque rigged, with three masts. The ship was a cargo/passenger liner built for the Australasian Steam Navigation Company Ltd. This was the first screw steamship built for the companyThe new vessel sailed to Sydney, Australia under the command of Captain R.T. Moodie. The trip took 74 days. The ship was intended for use on the passenger/cargo service between Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane and New Zealand

Annie

Offline annecaroline

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: Saturday 17 November 07 06:52 GMT (UK) »
Sorry Jenn

Should of mentioned it -Harriett Court states she is a widow when the will was made out on the 15th March 1918

Annie

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: Saturday 17 November 07 06:56 GMT (UK) »
Annie,

I reckon James COURT is very likely the lad (see my Post #333) buried at Spicers Creek (between Wellington and Gulgong) in 1916?

And, as I think I said earlier, people weren't overly sentimental about where they would live out their eternal days.  Second husband James's grave might have been not of the calibre that Harriet wanted - or perhaps no extra space, or not where she had lived for many years, or not where she wanted to lie, etc etc.  Whereas William's grave might have had room, she might have paid for it, it might have been where she lived, and it might have been in the classy part of the cemetery (don't knock it - I recall my late in-laws taking us to see the plot they'd bought - best view in the cemetery they said - hmmm, thought I - this will really matter to them?).

JAP

Offline tropicalj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • six grandkids
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: Saturday 17 November 07 06:59 GMT (UK) »
 That  might explain  it  then  perhaps  when  William  died  there  was  no  monies for headstone,  but after James Court died  she  may  have  had a wee bit more.
So  did she  have  a large   estate?  so  no  children  to  this Heasman  line  then.  So  here  end-th  the  direct Heasman  line,  what a  shame  we  won't find a  living  relation,  damn  but  who  knows  there  is  allways  illegitimate  children

regards Jenn
When you search for ancestors, you find great friends!
I live in Townsville researching
TOWNSEND,PINNEGAR, STRANGE, PULLEN, GRIFFIN from Wiltshire,,
SHOEBRIDGE, VINALL, BRINDLE, Kent
BAYLEY, Dorset,Yorkshire,
HAIR, Durham,
CUMMINS, BROWNLESS from Yorkshire,
EDSALL,  Cornwall,
MORGAN, HENNESSY, BAKER,  Ireland.
VAN REYK Sri Lanka
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.au