Author Topic: VIC - Marriage(s) -Look up please  (Read 78152 times)

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: VIC - Marriage(s) -Look up please
« Reply #378 on: Wednesday 28 November 07 07:37 GMT (UK) »
Oh Aumarire,  That is appalling!  Something seems to be very strange about this.  I wonder whether Mr Turtle - who presumably has seen heaps of certificates - can offer any explanation as to why this certificate essentially has no information.  One would think that, at the very least, the parties would have had some idea about their ages and places of birth!

JAP

Apparently many of the NSW certs are similar until the early 1900s. I have an 1873 marriage record which gives much the same - I did score the name of the father of the bride because he gave permission for the marriage. (I do have an earlier one where even that was missing, despite the bride being 16 years old)

I believe from some other posts that you may be able to find the church records, which may have additional information.

From

http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/celebrate/civil.html

In the early years of civil registration most events were registered following verbal advice from the informant. The widespread use of notification forms did not begin until after World War One in 1918.

Trish

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline tropicalj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • six grandkids
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: Wednesday 28 November 07 08:19 GMT (UK) »
Hello  there

Yes  Trisha  I  have  the  same experience  with my ggparents  marriage  in 1888 at Coota  nothing  much  on  it  but  it did  have  the church  they were  married  in  and  I  was  lucky  enough  to  contact  the  Catholic Centre in Coota  and  they  had  the  original records,  I  was able  to  get  their  parents  names  and the bride and grooms occupation.   Hopefully  if  I  ever  get down  that way  I  shall  be able  to site  the  orginal  documentation.

My  marriage certificates after  the first World War  have all  the details  filled  in!

kind  regards Jenn  (  very  tropically  wet....  lovely stuff  RAIN  all  83mls of  it  last  night)
When you search for ancestors, you find great friends!
I live in Townsville researching
TOWNSEND,PINNEGAR, STRANGE, PULLEN, GRIFFIN from Wiltshire,,
SHOEBRIDGE, VINALL, BRINDLE, Kent
BAYLEY, Dorset,Yorkshire,
HAIR, Durham,
CUMMINS, BROWNLESS from Yorkshire,
EDSALL,  Cornwall,
MORGAN, HENNESSY, BAKER,  Ireland.
VAN REYK Sri Lanka
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.au

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: Wednesday 28 November 07 08:53 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, I didn't know that!

I've obviously been spoiled by all those lovely Victorian certificates for my lot.

JAP

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: Wednesday 28 November 07 09:10 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, I didn't know that!

I've obviously been spoiled by all those lovely Victorian certificates for my lot.

JAP

Victoria and Queensland seem to be complete from the start of civil registration - most useful  :)

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: Sunday 02 December 07 08:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi ALL     

Thanks for all the recent new information, for your thoughts / scenarios, etc.     Great work - much appreciated  :)

LOTS going on behind the scenes too  ... checking further for clues on Annie MORININI (HEASMAN) and Clan RICHINGS.

AND ... at last ... now have the birth registration details for Ivy Elizabeth COATES (my "grandmother" ... the daughter of Lily RICHINGS (COATES) ... found registered under the name of "RICHARDS" !

Ivy Elizabeth RICHARDS - born 9 August 1899 - at St. Asaph Street, Christchurch, NZ .
Mother:   Lily RICHARDS aged 25, born Blenheim
Father:    NOT RECORDED !
First Informant :   Lily RICHARDS, mother
Second Informant:   NOT RECORDED !

Possibly the child of Francis COATES ?   (Lily and Francis married 1901 when Ivy was 1 yr 8 months old - perhaps Ivy takes the surname COATES due to the Legitimation Act ?) :
                                   _________

MORE work done on James RICHINGS -  the mysterious "nephew" of Thomas RICHINGS (Thomas named as "uncle and next of kin" on James's NZ Army record).

Our very talented "annecaroline" came up trumps by finding James buried at Purewa Cemetery, Auckland, with his 1st wife Sarah.      Cheers Annie   :)

ALAS, the death cert for James RICHINGS - (d. Auckland,  7 December 1975, aged 83) - didn't reveal a lot, except it gave him another date of birth - 2 September 1892 (20 February 1889 was recorded on his Army file).
No parents names stated - 2nd wife and children recorded as having pre-deceased him.   NO funeral notice was found  - ( he was buried  the day after his death).

AND so, certificate for his second marriage in 1945 was ordered !

BOMBSHELL to be dropped, in following post  !

Lu    ;D

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: Sunday 02 December 07 08:14 GMT (UK) »
SECOND MARRIAGE of James RICHINGS

Date:   28 July 1945 at St. Andrews Prsbyterian Church, Symonds Street, Auckland, NZ

>  Elsie CLARKE (45)  -  Divorced 11 July 1938
born Edinburgh, Scotland
Parents:  William SANDISON & Agnes nee LAMB

>   James RICHINGS (52) - widower 5 December 1944
born Christchurch NZ
Parents :
   >   Father :   Thomas RICHINGS, butcher

>   Mother :   Lilian RICHINGS ... nee  MORININI    !

:o             :o              :o

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: Sunday 02 December 07 09:07 GMT (UK) »
Hello Lu,

I'm not entirely sure what you are suggesting - but this family certainly never fails to introduce yet another puzzle.

It's hard to keep up with all the twists and turns.  What was the occupation of Thomas RICHINGS, brother of Lily?  Was he a butcher?  Are you suggesting that James was the son of Lily and Thomas (who we think was Lily's brother); or of Lily and John/Thomas (who we think was Lily's father)?  Oh, what a puzzle.

I take it that you don't (yet) have the certificate for James's first marriage?

Perhaps James got things totally wrong on the 2nd marriage cert?  It seems strange that he gave his mother's name as Lily RICHINGS nee MORININI - and no mention at all of COATES.  Of course, assuming that Lily was his mother (whoever his father was) she'd been gone a long time - died 1917.

I guess there's more digging and delving to be done ...

JAP 

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: Tuesday 04 December 07 08:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi JAP

.... sorry, should have included a reference to James RICHINGS    ....  blimey.... way, way back, Post # 56 - page 4.

Yes, Thomas (the uncle), was a butcher.

The first marriage for James RICHINGS, took place in Raffrey, Ireland, in 1919 - no certificate.

Mmmm ... just a bit taken aback at what is recorded re: parents on this 2nd marriage cert.   ...  yeah, perhaps it was that he just plucked a few family names out of the air ?

Lu

Offline aumarire

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: Tuesday 04 December 07 23:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi again folks,
Have been trying and trying to get a contact from the Wellington ( NSW) area, someone who would be able to check up on a few things for us, with regards William Richard Heasman who married Harriet Newby. You may remember that their marriage cert. gave us absolutely no information or confirmation that William is in fact ours. After much chasing around, I have got a contact at the Wellington Historical Society having a look into it for us. She will be checking the old church records, to see if anything in the original register will give us clues. I suspect she will be replying to me in the next few days, well, lets hope eh!
Will let you know as soon as something happens.
Aumarire
Adcock - England, New Zealand
Balli -Switzerland, Australia
Caldwell - Australia, New Zealand
Dobbin - Australia, New Zealand
Iremonger -England, New Zealand
Rands - England, Australia, USA
Rendall - England
Whelan - Ireland, New Zealand
White - England, New Zealand
Williamson - Scotland, New Zealand