Author Topic: James STEVENS  (Read 1188 times)

Offline Glendreath

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
James STEVENS
« on: Thursday 04 October 07 11:58 BST (UK) »
Trying to find James Stevens birth ABT 1818. Have found him in Tasmania 1850 when he married Mary Ann Callaway. His marriage cert. states his birth place as Salisbury, England. Records state his trade was a Baker before joining Police as a Constable in Tasmania. Need to find his parents also and his arrival to Tasmania or Norfolk Island. His death and marriage cert. does not have any of these details. Cheers Glendreath

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James Stevens
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 04 October 07 12:25 BST (UK) »
I have found one, but there may be others.

James Stevens, son of James and Lucinda Stevens,born 30 April baptised 25 May 1815, St Thomas, Salisbury.

This family included the following children:

Mary Jane (1803), Harriet Lucinda (1805), John (1806), Ann Elizabeth (1809), Maria (1811), James Jervoise (1813) - I suspect the last one died before James was born in 1815.

I can't see any sign of a marriage.

I would still look for others, but if these names come up later in the family, it is possible this is your James.

Nell

All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Glendreath

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: James Stevens
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 04 October 07 12:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks Nell - This is a big possibility. My James named some of his children with similar names e.g. Harriet Maria, Mary Jane, Annie Elizabeth. so far this is the best clue to surface. I would presume he left England mid 1840's (not sure though). I have come forward to present day from 1850 but without parents names it is hard. Anything else you come across would be appreciated. Regards Glendreath

Offline Glendreath

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: James STEVENS
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 06 October 07 11:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Nell - Could you let me know where you found the information on James Stevens so I can do some folllow up? Regards Glendreath

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 06 October 07 12:21 BST (UK) »
Answered by PM.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Glendreath

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 06 October 07 12:42 BST (UK) »
Got the message and thankyou - will see what I can turn up. Thanks Glendreath

Offline Tashis

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 23 August 23 06:34 BST (UK) »
James Stevens, who married Mary Callaway in the Melville Street Chapel Hobart on 23rd May 1850, is the subject of a book titled, "Just one Tasmanian policeman - James Stevens 1817-1883". His birth year of 1817 was determined from his marriage certificate (aged 32 on 23rd May 1850), and a Police Department record which listed his age as 39 on 12th March 1856. Assuming that these dates were recorded correctly, this implies that he was born between 24th May and 31st December 1817. Many people have correctly identified the eight children born to James and Mary. James died July 1883 in Melbourne. Mary died in June 1884, also in Melbourne. Both are buried in Melbourne General Cemetery in a single grave they share with their oldest daughter Mary Jane. Mary Jane was born at Norfolk Island.