Author Topic: Marriage Lookup Please  (Read 1027 times)

Offline RDMETimmy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marriage Lookup Please
« on: Thursday 04 October 07 21:24 BST (UK) »
 ;D

If someone could look up the original marriage of Adam(i) Sturges to an Elizabeth(a) Pettit 10 Nov 1681 in Puddington I would be very grateful if you could supply any info that may indicate where, what parish, either came from. Specifically interested in Adam.

Grateful for any help

Tim
Sturges in Befordshire

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage Lookup Please
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 04 October 07 23:34 BST (UK) »
This couple appeared a couple of days ago on http://boards.rootsweb.com/localities.britisles.england.bdf.general/187.195.1.1.1.1/mb.ashx

Pre 1754 there isn't usually any additional information other than the two names. Hopefully this marriage entry might be more helpful

David
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline cathymcc

• I am sorry but my emails are not working.
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Sam & Hilda Worker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 06 October 07 12:57 BST (UK) »
Tim

Try Wills for both male & female lines [you need to email Beds archives for that but they are happy to help] also search their online site

Also try UK National Archive s- go to search the archive and then 'catalogue' enter Puddington --- & look in the A2A?

cathy
Bedfordshire: Worker [Flitton]; Ames [Kempston]; Manton [Kempston]; Morris [?]; Valentine [Kempston]; Two & Osborn [Cranfield]

Herfordshire and West London: Brown [Kent in early 19th C]; Blackwell.
McCarthy [Clonakilty, County Cork - searching for needles in the haystack!] and LOSTY [Dublin]

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 06 October 07 15:11 BST (UK) »
Tim,   The Poddington PR marriage entry sheds no more direct light on this couple, there is no additional detail.  However this is the first entry for any Sturges in Poddington, & following this date there are quite several baptisms of children to Adam & Elizabeth Sturges/Sturgis (although Mary who was baptised 26/June/1684 is said to be daughter of Adam & MARY Sturges ?)

Adam was buried 16 Oct 1720, husb but I could not see a burial of Eliz, his widow.

& as an aside at the end of the register  he is listed as being church warden for 6 years 1707 - 1712.

The first church register starts 1662, the previous entries are from the Bishop's Transcripts. A note says that there are no baptisms listed between 1641 & 1662 - which is most likely the period Adam & Elizabeth Pettit were likely to have been born.  As to her, there are baptisms of other Pettits to parents Thomas & Mary from 1663 onwards.

Regards John 

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Partridge - North Beds; Northants & Peterborough
Bishop - Bedford; Hunts, Hemingford Grey
Allen - Hunts, Hemingford Abbotts
Clement - Croydon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------